follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2018, 11:27 PM   #1177
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Get 'em while you can. Fourteen years virtually unchanged engine and transmission.

Well at least they had a red intake manifold from day one. lol

If only the twin's transmission could withstand the torque an STI one can.

Plus, if you want for a several hundred you can buy a Cobb AP for the cheapest legitimate additional power you could ever get similar to Dinan with BMW, etc. That is part of the appeal for some.

They are spartan sports sedans, and for that reason they are criticised for interior quality compared to VW for example but you are getting better features specific to the model, not paying for a fancy textured door skin.

The specific STI packaging where things like hydraulic steering is retained plus a host of available STI accessories such as the flexible strut tower brace and draw stiffeners make it an appealing package. But Audi, BMW, Mercedes do offer a more luxurious package if you will pay for it. And VW gets Audi's hand me downs so still better dash face, door skin, infotainment.

With the current shape of things, I'd rather get a Focus RS, golf R or Type R, if you avoid dealer markups and get the same options they msrp at 40k +/- a few hundred. The Golf R even gets a DCC.

You still have people worry about ringland failures and other crap with the the EJ257 when tuned. It has gone through at least 7 different total iteration since 96, and Subaru cut corners to get it to make emissions and fuel requirements.

At this point for a lot of turbo cars you can buy a COBB AP and get some tremendous torque and hp numbers with there power packages.

It's about damn time Subaru put some sense into the STi, the FA24 shows promise and was definitely under tuned for the subaru ascent as it was setup for 87 octane fuels. Imho @Tcoat is right calling it a lazy outdated car.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #1178
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
With the current shape of things, I'd rather get a Focus RS, golf R or Type R, if you avoid dealer markups and get the same options they msrp at 40k +/- a few hundred. The Golf R even gets a DCC.

You still have people worry about ringland failures and other crap with the the EJ257 when tuned. It has gone through at least 7 different total iteration since 96, and Subaru cut corners to get it to make emissions and fuel requirements.

At this point for a lot of turbo cars you can buy a COBB AP and get some tremendous torque and hp numbers with there power packages.

It's about damn time Subaru put some sense into the STi, the FA24 shows promise and was definitely under tuned for the subaru ascent as it was setup for 87 octane fuels. Imho @Tcoat is right calling it a lazy outdated car.....
Yeah STI is a heap of shit, that's why I have one in the garage as well. Enjoy your Mazda/Ford/Volkswagen lots of choices, nothing here move on
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #1179
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Get 'em while you can. Fourteen years virtually unchanged engine and transmission.

Well at least they had a red intake manifold from day one. lol

If only the twin's transmission could withstand the torque an STI one can.

Plus, if you want for a several hundred you can buy a Cobb AP for the cheapest legitimate additional power you could ever get similar to Dinan with BMW, etc. That is part of the appeal for some.

They are spartan sports sedans, and for that reason they are criticised for interior quality compared to VW for example but you are getting better features specific to the model, not paying for a fancy textured door skin.

The specific STI packaging where things like hydraulic steering is retained plus a host of available STI accessories such as the flexible strut tower brace and draw stiffeners make it an appealing package. But Audi, BMW, Mercedes do offer a more luxurious package if you will pay for it. And VW gets Audi's hand me downs so still better dash face, door skin, infotainment.

I was referring more to the style and interior appearance. Even that was more in a joking manner than anything.
If the mechanicals still do the job why change for the sake of change?
Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #1180
86p0wa

Drives: 2013 FR-S(Traded in) 2018 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Andddd I just bought an 86...

Which I would do again, this changes nothing, I would still drive a twin even if motor trend crowns the Miata the best SUV, sports car, sedan, roadster, and pickup for 2019.

Its nice to see companies moving forward with designs. Miata has been number 1 in this arena for a long time but I still chose the twin. Here’s to hoping, our next engine is an inline 4, daddy wants a 5 minute spark plug change (it wont happen).
86p0wa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86p0wa For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-22-2018), Spuds (06-22-2018), Tcoat (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #1181
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm curious to see the price bump that comes with the changes.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #1182
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Yeah STI is a heap of shit, that's why I have one in the garage as well. Enjoy your Mazda/Ford/Volkswagen lots of choices, nothing here move on

Typical STi bro
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
86kahl (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #1183
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Well let's see...

STI -> Ringland Failure
Focus RS -> Head Gasket Failure
Golf R -> Turbo Failure
Civic Type R -> Typical Honda gear grind but no crazy problem that I've heard other than that engine overheat on the track article
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #1184
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E_L View Post
I'm curious to see the price bump that comes with the changes.
Mind you, the price is already silly compared to a BRZ/86.. 31k vs 27/29k. And don't even get me started on the RF........................ 39fucking K.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #1185
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
At the end of it all. We love to mod cars right? Who cares about stock vs stock.
What's the max potential, power wise, and max potential weight wise of each car?

They're both great and to be honest, if I worked for Mazda and not Toyota, I'd probably be driving an MX-5 and would not regret it.

BTW, to haul extra tires in an MX-5, you probably have to get one of these crazy setups that people have or a small trailer. https://www.google.com/search?q=haul...w=1607&bih=552

With twins, you just need to shove them into your trunk. I've been able to move small furniture, 8 ft 4x4s, fence pickets, 3 dogs at one time, suitcases, etc.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #1186
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Well let's see...

STI -> Ringland Failure
Focus RS -> Head Gasket Failure
Golf R -> Turbo Failure
Civic Type R -> Typical Honda gear grind but no crazy problem that I've heard other than that engine overheat on the track article

Focus RS recall/TSB took care of head gasket failures, and the Golf R turbo failures were on early mk7s and a new turbo design fixed that. The sti still has a ringland issue which could've been fixed with a new piston design and material update, now I believe it relegated to those who tune there cars.....
Old 06-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #1187
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86p0wa View Post
Andddd I just bought an 86...
Well enjoy being able to carry spare tires to the track or little kids in the back of your light-weight, fun sports car, loser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
In your dream world, that's catching the current P:W ratio of the current V6 Exige
Cooooool, man.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #1188
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Focus RS recall/TSB took care of head gasket failures, and the Golf R turbo failures were on early mk7s and a new turbo design fixed that. The sti still has a ringland issue which could've been fixed with a new piston design and material update, now I believe it relegated to those who tune there cars.....
Actually the last time I checked the FoRS head gasket issue is not solvable due to a design flaw, they just have to keep replacing it repeatedly.

As for the STI ringland issue it happens even with fully stock cars, and getting a tune actually mitigates it. Forged pistons with a tune would fully fix this.

I still wouldn't buy a Mk7 Golf as the engines are not equipped with port injection in North America unlike the RoW models with dual injection.

That leaves the Civic Type R but I would rather drive a stock EF or EG Civic Si instead.

I guess the revised ND Miata is the answer.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-23-2018), FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #1189
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I was referring more to the style and interior appearance. Even that was more in a joking manner than anything.
If the mechanicals still do the job why change for the sake of change?
It doesn't do the job any more, they barely pass emissions and the gas mileage is getting so low it is nearing gas guzzler status. The best tune is actually the aftermarket one, because they don't have to worry about federal regulations and can make it safer and smoother.

They've literally upgraded everything at this point besides the engine. Only thing I can think is they are going to ditch the 2.5 and give us a 2.0 with some sort of hybrid battery pack for torque in the next gen and don't want to change anything big now. They've stopped selling it totally in some other markets.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #1190
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Call me wrong but I'm pleasantly suprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote