follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
Prmspen
Student Driver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY Camber Bolt Install?

This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. If I'm installing the OEM front upper camber crash bolt, can I just do it myself at home, or do I need to get a professional alignment? I'm new to suspension work, so I want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

I'm running C Street autocross, so I'm looking to get maximum front camber while staying within the class rules. Seems like the OEM camber bolt is the way to go. I watched the Savage Geese DIY install video, and the job itself doesn't seem hard. But it wasn't clear whether the change would screw up alignment.
Prmspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmspen View Post
This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. If I'm installing the OEM front upper camber crash bolt, can I just do it myself at home, or do I need to get a professional alignment? I'm new to suspension work, so I want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

I'm running C Street autocross, so I'm looking to get maximum front camber while staying within the class rules. Seems like the OEM camber bolt is the way to go. I watched the Savage Geese DIY install video, and the job itself doesn't seem hard. But it wasn't clear whether the change would screw up alignment.
you WILL need an alignment after. You can install it yourself its rather simple as its just a bolt but again you WILL need an alignment after.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
Ashikabi (07-20-2016), Prmspen (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If you have the tools, you can do your own install. It's pretty easy. It's possible to do your own alignment, but if you're asking about how to do one, just get it done professionally and tell them that you want to max out your front camber.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Prmspen (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
If you have the tools, you can do your own install. It's pretty easy. It's possible to do your own alignment, but if you're asking about how to do one, just get it done professionally and tell them that you want to max out your front camber.
Don't do that, unless you KNOW your alignment guy. Most alignment techs will take one look at the database and see "front camber not adjustable," then disregard what you tell them. Sometimes they'll make up a story too ("I tried to adjust camber and this is the max I got" and its basically unchanged).

OP, you will want to max out the camber yourself, then take it in and ask for a toe alignment. You want max camber anyway since a CS car never has enough. If you know any local autocrossers, ask them where they get alignments done since you will want a tech who has a better understanding of your needs and a willingness to do a through, quality job.

FYI, the toe change is negligible. I never bothered to get mine aligned and didn't notice any change in tire wear or handling.

FYI #2, torque it properly (torque wrench on the nut, not on the bolt). I think the torque spec is 119 ft-lbs. If it's loose or not quite to torque spec, no, your strut will not disconnect from your hub and cause a calamity. You will however get some, shall we say...dynamic...camber. Don't ask how I know.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-23-2016), Prmspen (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
Prmspen
Student Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
FYI, the toe change is negligible. I never bothered to get mine aligned and didn't notice any change in tire wear or handling.
Sounds like you're saying I can max out the front camber myself, and it's no big deal if I don't get an alignment done afterwards. Is that correct?

Also, I hear you on torquing things correctly. One day I'll tell the story of what happens when you don't torque the lug nuts on your Chump Car, then put it on a dolly and try to tow it to the track...
Old 07-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sounds like you're saying I can max out the front camber myself, and it's no big deal if I don't get an alignment done afterwards. Is that correct?

Also, I hear you on torquing things correctly. One day I'll tell the story of what happens when you don't torque the lug nuts on your Chump Car, then put it on a dolly and try to tow it to the track...
Yep, not a big deal. The bolts give you, at most, an extra 0.5 degrees per side. Typically less than that. The change in toe is very small. A local guy barely got 0.2 extra per side and isn't even at a full -1.0. I feel for him...

If you were to install camber plates or something and set camber in the -2 to -3 range, you would definitely want an alignment. The toe change is larger at that point.

Some people swear by the importance of alignments for autocross, my take on them is just make sure it's not grossly wrong.

The thought of the average chump car losing its wheels spontaneously honestly makes me laugh a bit. Almost like you'd expect something like that to happen.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
Prmspen
Student Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
The thought of the average chump car losing its wheels spontaneously honestly makes me laugh a bit. Almost like you'd expect something like that to happen.
In fairness, only one wheel fell off. In the middle lane of an interstate. On Friday afternoon in rush hour.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prmspen For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-09-2019), Ultramaroon (07-22-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
1/16" change in toe is definitely noticeable in how the car drives. Max out the camber, then get the front toe set to zero.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Prmspen (07-20-2016), timurrrr (08-09-2019)
Old 07-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #9
atlbrz

Drives: Hyper Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I did this not long ago. Pretty straight forward. I just maxed out the camber on both sides and it is very close to the rear camber from the factory around -1.0. Using home made toe plates, there was virtually no change to the toe. I was expecting the toe to change. It is still so close to zero toe I didn't both getting an alignment and have noticed no unusual wear in 2K miles. Your results could vary. BTW, this change along with some different tires made a hugh difference with the front turn in.
atlbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I've gotten as much as -3.0* out front using camber bolts on an otherwise stock suspension. Not sure what people are doing if they're only getting 0.5* adjustment out of camber bolts.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-09-2019)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #11
Prmspen
Student Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I've gotten as much as -3.0* out front using camber bolts on an otherwise stock suspension. Not sure what people are doing if they're only getting 0.5* adjustment out of camber bolts.
Did you use the stock Subaru lower bolt, or an after-market bolt of some sort? Pretty much everyone is reporting about -1.0 with the Subaru part, but more with after-market parts.

I'm going with the Subaru bolt so I can still run C Street autocross.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prmspen For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-18-2019)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #12
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you use the stock Subaru lower bolt, or an after-market bolt of some sort? Pretty much everyone is reporting about -1.0 with the Subaru part, but more with after-market parts.

I'm going with the Subaru bolt so I can still run C Street autocross.
SPC 81260 and 81280.

Edit: @Prmspen I'm not sure what the rule books allow, but from the sound of it anything that's factory subaru/toyota is legal? Perhaps you can find a smaller diameter crash bolt that give a bit more slop to give you a bit more range of adjustment.

Like this part: http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/t...105-14147.html

I believe this is a 12mm diameter bolt from toyota. And will probably give you a bit more camber adjustment. Though the thinner diameter will obviously be weaker than the 14mm, also not sure of the legality in the class you are running.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.

Last edited by solidONE; 07-22-2016 at 12:44 AM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
Prmspen (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 04:12 AM   #13
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I believe this is a 12mm diameter bolt from toyota. And will probably give you a bit more camber adjustment. Though the thinner diameter will obviously be weaker than the 14mm, also not sure of the legality in the class you are running.
IIRC the rulebook states that the part must be listed in the factory service/repair manual so only one option to be used as specified in instructed in said manual.

Greatly appreciate the SPC part numbers though, I think I need both to get enough camber for an STX car and the info is a bit buried. -3.0 with just bolts you say... Delicious, I was only getting ~-1.1 with the 16mm bolt in the top hole.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:38 AM   #14
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
IIRC the rulebook states that the part must be listed in the factory service/repair manual so only one option to be used as specified in instructed in said manual.

Greatly appreciate the SPC part numbers though, I think I need both to get enough camber for an STX car and the info is a bit buried. -3.0 with just bolts you say... Delicious, I was only getting ~-1.1 with the 16mm bolt in the top hole.

Not sure about -3+ but I got -2.4 with SPC in bottom and 14mm in top. A 12mm in top would get you more obviously its just a matter of how much.

Really camber plates are the way to go

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote