follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have the described AT issues?
Yes, but I've ignored them 41 34.17%
Yes, TSB fixed it 14 11.67%
Yes, dealer fix did not help 12 10.00%
No everything is fine 53 44.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #225
rjgough95

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 7.3 F350 Diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
BRZ is being dropped off November 4th. I've got the feeling there going to make it a pain being that mine is a 2013. I couldn't find Subaru's TSB online so I took Scions and just added the TSB from Subaru on the print out to leave with the car. The woman didnt even know what to do with the TSB number
2.5" Non-resonated Perrin catback - Hks dual resonator front pipe - Borla UEL headers - K&N drop in - Supertek intake pipe - Megans Racing strut bar - Racer X Fabrication cylinder brace - Valenti tail lights - Veloxs Motorsports front splitter - Galvez Customs rear diffuser - Open Flash Tuner - GCS paddles - Apex ARC8 Track Wheels
rjgough95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #226
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgough95 View Post
BRZ is being dropped off November 4th. I've got the feeling there going to make it a pain being that mine is a 2013. I couldn't find Subaru's TSB online so I took Scions and just added the TSB from Subaru on the print out to leave with the car. The woman didnt even know what to do with the TSB number
I work at a dealership GMC dealership, we don't sell Cadillac's so we cant even service them here (unless they are 5 years old or older). I get where they are coming from lol. Its a real pain in the ass. You should be able to just pay them half hour of labor and get your ECM and TCM updated to the latest calibrations worst case scenario
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #227
calic

Drives: Subaru Brz
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I was the OP in the first link posted. I think I started feeling the rough shifting within the first month I owned the car. I become somewhat used to it. It would be triggered when I would push the car hard. And with my OFT it got to a point I couldn't even use Sport mode without the car becoming so rough in its shift. It got to a point that I would have to pull over in the canyons to restart the car and let it reset the computer. Because the shifts would unsettle the cars suspension, that it just didn't feel safe.

Ultimately I attempted to take it to the dealer. And they flat out said it's normal. This is my 4th auto manual car, and never had I felt a tranny so notchy and unsettling. I had to adapt to alleviate the hard shifting by not flat footing and letting off the gas during each shift.

I've also experienced the hard downshifting. One incident I had came off the freeway kind of hot, and went to downshift. As I was slowing down into first, the car was about to come to a stop. And bam the tranny slammed into first, the car skidded it's tires and I almost ran into the car in front of me.

Ultimately I found this thread and had the TSB applied today. I have to say the car feels like a different car completely, the car shifts like butter. It rev matches and downshifts perfectly. It's kind of messed up many of us owners had to deal with this for such a long time. My car being a 2015 it's almost two years.

Like another owner echoed, I hope there is no permanent damage on the transmission. But I'm happy to finally have a working vehicle that should of came in this condition from the factory. I really hope that owners outside the TSB models are able to get this applied to the TCM. I will continue to update my own progress in this thread, but honestly it feels like the car is finally normal.

And i'm glad that it wasn't only me. Many of the people who posted in the earlier threads or when I first posted. I considered that I was just being OCD over the car, but it validates that there are problems with the TCM. And it's unfortunate that the TSB doesn't directly address the transmission shifting problem in it is report. Good luck to everyone getting this TSB completed.

Instagram: limitedbreeze

Last edited by calic; 11-01-2016 at 12:09 PM.
calic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calic For This Useful Post:
Borrowed Time (11-01-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (01-27-2018), rjgough95 (10-31-2016), soulreapersteve (10-31-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #228
rjgough95

So had the car in this past Friday with Subaru. They told me that my car did not apply being that its a 2013 with 35k miles. I responded back by saying I would pay for the labor cost and whatever else I just needed it done. They would not because of my Perrin Cat Back exhaust.
2.5" Non-resonated Perrin catback - Hks dual resonator front pipe - Borla UEL headers - K&N drop in - Supertek intake pipe - Megans Racing strut bar - Racer X Fabrication cylinder brace - Valenti tail lights - Veloxs Motorsports front splitter - Galvez Customs rear diffuser - Open Flash Tuner - GCS paddles - Apex ARC8 Track Wheels
Old 11-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #229
86Boyz

Drives: on the highway to hell
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
So had the car in this past Friday with Subaru. They told me that my car did not apply being that its a 2013 with 35k miles. I responded back by saying I would pay for the labor cost and whatever else I just needed it done. They would not because of my Perrin Cat Back exhaust.
A dealer turning down money that was offered to them? I'm honestly shocked!

So if you remove the exhaust then they would do it? Probably they will come up with another dumb excuse.
86Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #230
86Boyz

Drives: on the highway to hell
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calic View Post
So I was the OP in the first link posted. I think I started feeling the rough shifting within the first month I owned the car. I become somewhat used to it. It would be triggered when I would push the car hard. And with my OFT it got to a point I couldn't even use Sport mode without the car becoming so rough in its shift. It got to a point that I would have to pull over in the canyons to restart the car and let it reset the computer. Because the shifts would unsettle the cars suspension, that it just didn't feel safe.

Ultimately I attempted to take it to the dealer. And they flat out said it's normal. This is my 4th auto manual car, and never had I felt a tranny so notchy and unsettling. I had to adapt to alleviate the hard shifting by not flat footing and letting off the gas during each shift.

I've also experienced the hard downshifting. One incident I had came off the freeway kind of hot, and went to downshift. As I was slowing down into first, the car was about to come to a stop. And bam the tranny slammed into first, the car skidded it's tires and I almost ran into the car in front of me.

Ultimately I found this thread and had the TSB applied today. I have to say the car feels like a different car completely, the car shifts like butter. It rev matches and downshifts perfectly. It's kind of messed up many of us owners had to deal with this for such a long time. My car being a 2015 it's almost two years.

Like another owner echoed, I hope there is no permanent damage on the transmission. But I'm happy to finally have a working vehicle that should of came in this condition from the factory. I really hope that owners outside the TSB models are able to get this applied to the TCM. I will continue to update my own progress in this thread, but honestly it feels like the car is finally normal.

And i'm glad that it wasn't only me. Many of the people who posted in the earlier threads or when I first posted. I considered that I was just being OCD over the car, but it validates that there are problems with the TCM. And it's unfortunate that the TSB doesn't directly address the transmission shifting problem in it is report. Good luck to everyone getting this TSB completed.

I went to the dealer and told them about the rough shifting and that I had the idle fluctuation problem even though my VIN wasn't the one they mentioned on the TSB.

Of course they took it on a test drive and weren't replicate it. I said just check the TCM. They said they had an update and would install it but there is no reverting back to the previous version. I said just go ahead and do it.

The service rep said it would take 1 hour to download (whatever that means). 1 hour to download the update? 1 hour to update? He didn't seem to computer savvy and most likely used the wrong terminology.

Anyway, they updated my TCM and shifting has been great so far without any issues like before with jerky shifts and delayed rev matches.
86Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #231
rjgough95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Boyz View Post
A dealer turning down money that was offered to them? I'm honestly shocked!

So if you remove the exhaust then they would do it? Probably they will come up with another dumb excuse.
My exact thoughts! Yeah now in the process trying to find someone who will do it in northern VA.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #232
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
anyone had success getting a 2014 car to get the TCM update? The local dealership said there wasn't an update....
Soloside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #233
calic

Drives: Subaru Brz
The 1 hr I think is just what the quote for their labor. Since it's not paid for by you, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Boyz View Post
I went to the dealer and told them about the rough shifting and that I had the idle fluctuation problem even though my VIN wasn't the one they mentioned on the TSB.

Of course they took it on a test drive and weren't replicate it. I said just check the TCM. They said they had an update and would install it but there is no reverting back to the previous version. I said just go ahead and do it.

The service rep said it would take 1 hour to download (whatever that means). 1 hour to download the update? 1 hour to update? He didn't seem to computer savvy and most likely used the wrong terminology.

Anyway, they updated my TCM and shifting has been great so far without any issues like before with jerky shifts and delayed rev matches.

Instagram: limitedbreeze
calic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #234
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloside View Post
anyone had success getting a 2014 car to get the TCM update? The local dealership said there wasn't an update....
Try a different one until you are successful

My car is a 2015 but VIN was out of range. I printed the TSB document and showed it to them. They happily flashed the tcm for me.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (01-27-2018), KalbiCool88 (11-08-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #235
rjgough95

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Try a different one until you are successful

My car is a 2015 but VIN was out of range. I printed the TSB document and showed it to them. They happily flashed the tcm for me.
This is exactly what I did but they said no and wouldn't even do it if I covered labor costs.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjgough95 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (01-27-2018)
Old 11-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #236
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
This is exactly what I did but they said no and wouldn't even do it if I covered labor costs.
Same here. Dealership in Honolulu won't do it too. I haven't pushed them yet maybe at my next service appt. I'll bring it up again.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (01-27-2018)
Old 11-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #237
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Damn, dealership won't even take money..

Any others nearby? completely worth driving driving some distance, imo. The hard shifting, etc. issues made me want to trade in for a manual when the car was suffering from it.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:07 AM   #238
Visitor.S

Drives: Frs
im have same issue and looking for tsb, but my problem is my frs is already rebuild the engine and get the turbo kits, is that possible dealer still can do that? anyone knows dealer must be reflash the ecu? thanks
Visitor.S is offline   Reply With Quote