follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #43
Liquid6

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looks awesome!! Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Liquid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Liquid6 For This Useful Post:
Beat-Sonic (06-17-2014)
Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #44
phongtphan21

Drives: 2013 Fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How eould this set up be on stock tires? I can't make my decision on either get coilovers first or wheels. Lol your input will be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Yes, for a person looking to get more dynamic performance oriented coilover, RSR does offer Sports-i which are great for Sunday track duties, Autocross, and sporting runs on radials to semi-racing compounds. These Black-i are comfort oriented suspension that can be rasied a bit for the track but catering to some of you who want the ultimate lowered look as well.

The inherent issue more in the lowering of more than 30mm is the overall suspension design of the FR-S/BRZ which are short toe control arms and lower arm, and in the rear, also the short shock mount dimensions. That's something that can't really be changed by any shocks from anywhere, and is more up to the user to correct them by use of aftermarket arms.
We are working on a lower arm to alleviate the biggest issue, which are the lower arms in the rear, and toe control arms, which also use bushings, with an option for hard pillow joints, as well as revised shock mounting point over stock that extends the rear shock mount location to increase the stroke range. That will come early next year I am hoping.

All said and done though, RS*R is adamant about giving a comfortable street performance with both sets, and as I have mentioned in the other articles, that FRS/BRZ does not need excessively high spring rates for performance, being that it is a car with extremely good weight balance, and center of gravity being very low, and most of the package weight in the middle of the car, we actually need fairly low spring rates to help make the car dive and lean easier for better controlled weight transfer, and dynamically shift the weight over all four contact patch to make it grip and handle predictably on street radials and semi-racing compound tires. Most manufacturers still use high spring rates derived from formulas for more inherently unbalanced cars, but cars like FD3S, NSX and FRS all need otherwise. And only makes that participate in true racing programs can really understand the requirements for each application.

Black-i is a 55mm drop compatible design, and only because customers demand it these days, and therefore we have designed it to give that level of drop, with comfort and decent performance in mind, with careful balance of curtailing inherent issues at this level of drop. It isn't meant to be ultra-high performance which are at more 20~30mm drop levels, but since we don't want to use the same shocks and mounts for dropping it lower with Sports-i, we have the Black-i to better tailor to those who want it lower on 18 and 19" application street cars.

There isn't a perfect solution just by coil-over design at over 35mm drop, and Black-i are designed to be custom tailored to such application so there are less compromises than what normally would be the issue with trying to go that low on standard sports coilovers available elsewhere, with custom piston and case length ideal for this, as well as spring rates and stroke range, that are correct to riding at such low height.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
phongtphan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:15 AM   #45
Shaun Perry

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sorry for bringing this thread up

I have a small issue with mine.

1. Did install with my mechanic who is an FT86 specialized shop and a certified seller of the brand.
2. Got alignment few days after and had the shop spin the top plates the 180 degrees to get more camber as I am running about 24 3/4 inches low in front and 25 inches in the rear with 245/40/17 Bridgestone potenza s04 pole positions all around. (I will add without these having camber plates my final alignment sheet showed almost no difference from each other both front and rear with reference to camber and toe, very nice 👌&#127997

However, at a stop, turning full right and full left. I hear a small popping noise right before full lock at the front passenger corner. Sometimes noticeable at slow speeds like when I'm parking into a space.

I didn't adjust any pre load on any of the coils. They went in as they were set right out the box.

Anyone experience the same noise? Is this coil bind? And if you did experience the same noise what did you do to remedy the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Shaun
SBD Turbo V2 | OFT Flexfuel Kit; Tuned by Shiv @10psi | Nameless 2.5in. 1-piece OP/FP | Full Custom Center Exit/SS dual tip cat-back exhaust | KateCOOL Oil Cooler | Mishimoto T-Stat sandwhich plate | ACT XT Street Clutch Kit; 10.5lb flywheel | RSR Black-i Coilovers | Rota Torque 17x9 +30 | Bayson R front lip/side skirts/rear spats and rear windshield visor
Shaun Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #46
ysr50guy

Drives: brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Perry View Post
Sorry for bringing this thread up

I have a small issue with mine.

1. Did install with my mechanic who is an FT86 specialized shop and a certified seller of the brand.
2. Got alignment few days after and had the shop spin the top plates the 180 degrees to get more camber as I am running about 24 3/4 inches low in front and 25 inches in the rear with 245/40/17 Bridgestone potenza s04 pole positions all around. (I will add without these having camber plates my final alignment sheet showed almost no difference from each other both front and rear with reference to camber and toe, very nice 👌&#127997

However, at a stop, turning full right and full left. I hear a small popping noise right before full lock at the front passenger corner. Sometimes noticeable at slow speeds like when I'm parking into a space.

I didn't adjust any pre load on any of the coils. They went in as they were set right out the box.

Anyone experience the same noise? Is this coil bind? And if you did experience the same noise what did you do to remedy the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Shaun
I had the same problem and was really getting annoying. I tried many different things but it ended up being the RSR endlinks. I put back the factory endlinks and I haven't heard a single noise for the pass year.
ysr50guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #47
Shaun Perry

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr50guy View Post
I had the same problem and was really getting annoying. I tried many different things but it ended up being the RSR endlinks. I put back the factory endlinks and I haven't heard a single noise for the pass year.
That is very very interesting. thank you for sharing your scenario. I'm curious if there are others that fit the same bill. That sucks to know brand new sway links make noise.

Or, it could possibly be pertaining to each his own in reference to how the height is adjusted? Maybe i'm too low?

What height are you sitting at with the coils. im about 25 inches from ground to bottom lip of the fender in the rear, and 24 3/4 from ground to bottom lip of the fender up front. I believe i'm somewhere between 2-2.5 inches of drop from stock.
SBD Turbo V2 | OFT Flexfuel Kit; Tuned by Shiv @10psi | Nameless 2.5in. 1-piece OP/FP | Full Custom Center Exit/SS dual tip cat-back exhaust | KateCOOL Oil Cooler | Mishimoto T-Stat sandwhich plate | ACT XT Street Clutch Kit; 10.5lb flywheel | RSR Black-i Coilovers | Rota Torque 17x9 +30 | Bayson R front lip/side skirts/rear spats and rear windshield visor
Shaun Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #48
ysr50guy

Drives: brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Perry View Post
That is very very interesting. thank you for sharing your scenario. I'm curious if there are others that fit the same bill. That sucks to know brand new sway links make noise.

Or, it could possibly be pertaining to each his own in reference to how the height is adjusted? Maybe i'm too low?

What height are you sitting at with the coils. im about 25 inches from ground to bottom lip of the fender in the rear, and 24 3/4 from ground to bottom lip of the fender up front. I believe i'm somewhere between 2-2.5 inches of drop from stock.
I'm about 24.5 all around. I say give it a try only takes about 20 minutes to swap them and no need to do alignment or anything else.
ysr50guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ysr50guy For This Useful Post:
Shaun Perry (07-29-2016)