follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
AVOturboworld

Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 AM   #3095
Unclewonka

Drives: Red GT86 manual (July build)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdoc View Post
Only 178 whp! AVO turbo stage 1, perrin CAI, trd catback exhaust, electric cutout/dump after the cat on the mid pipe. Mishimoto oil cooler, cusco oil catch can...brought it to Boosted Control Performance in Livonia, Michigan to tune it. Dyno read only 178HP. Not sure what to do
Just looked up BCP. They use a Dynojet which typically reads high. Usually a stock GT86 would pull 165-170whp on a Dynojet.

178whp looks like the gains you might get from the exhaust alone. Are you sure that:

1) That it is coming on boost, and there are no leaks
2) That the tuners have actually loaded the stock map tune provided by AVO, or even at least tuned it themselves?
3) What year and month is your twin?

Most people put down 230-250whp on Dynojet with basic Stage 1 AVO kits with a factory AVO tune.

The stock ECU map might be compensating for a massive lean-out with you running 5psi as well without stock map. My suggestion is to stop driving, bring it back to shop and make sure it's done right.

Do a little research on these forums and contact AVO. Something really doesn't gel about what you're making power-wise and you may be in the running for a broken car.
Unclewonka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unclewonka For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (05-22-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #3096
2thdoc

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
They said i was only getting 2 psi. they did a boost leak test and said no leaks. I had the base map from AVO loaded almost a year earlier and the car was running fine. I went to make sure everything was running smooth and also to maybe gain a few hp. I have a Perrin CAI and an exhaust dump. I have a 2013 FRS, not sure the month. I took it to a garage in my home town and the guy said i was making 5psi all day. Not sure if BCP was in a rush or i got screwed. I'm only an internet mechanic some what they were saying didn't make any sense to me.
2thdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #3097
Unclewonka

Quote:
I have a Perrin CAI .
This may be the issue. Go back to stock intake.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #3098
2thdoc

Garage
Why? AIR/FUEL ratios seem to be fine
Old 01-25-2017, 01:10 AM   #3099
Unclewonka

Quote:
Why? AIR/FUEL ratios seem to be fine
Or so your MAF would lead you to believe. The Perrin intake is one of the few intakes where MAF scaling needs to be corrected by a fair degree to get a useful readout. Remember that the MAF does not directly measure the mmol of oxygen entering the combustion chamber, it just feeds back a derivative marker in volts, converted to grams of air by a conversion table. More volts, more air - but it is a measure that must be calibrated.

The lack of calibration can also account for the difference in measured boost - 5psi if directly measured off an external boost gauge vs 2psi from the MAF.

As such - where are you drawing the A/F ratios from? If it's from the OBD2 it might not reflect the reality of what's in the combustion chamber.

Also, the stock AVO map is calibrated to the stock MAF. IIRC it just matches fuel to what the MAF suggests and boom, you have a "stoichiometric" mix according to your gauges. It is for this reason I had to relinquish my Injen intake when I went turbo, and return to the stock intake. You're running boost - you won't miss the perceived increased efficiency of the Perrin intake anyway :-P

If you're not running the stock AVO map - make sure that your tuner was aware that you were running the Perrin intake - Perrin have a set of scaling tables for MAF that they would want to take account of.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclewonka For This Useful Post:
CxG (01-30-2017), Tedderple (01-25-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #3100
2thdoc

Garage
i have a A/F sensor in the exhaust. But i also have the Torque Pro app reading it from the OBDII and the numbers are the same.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #3101
sashrafi

Drives: 14' Brz
anyone had any experience fitting a different turbo with this setup?

wondering in case mine ever hits the fan. not sure where i would even find one for a reasonable price (one that comes with the kit new)
sashrafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:59 AM   #3102
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashrafi View Post

wondering in case mine ever hits the fan. not sure where i would even find one for a reasonable price (one that comes with the kit new)
The turbo that comes with the kit I'm pretty sure is a Greddy TD05 18G if that helps
tyler_win_photo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tyler_win_photo For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (03-26-2017), sashrafi (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #3103
JD86

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashrafi View Post

I've seen a few different ones fitted. As above it's a standard Greddy/Garret flange. However with a little bit of exhaust modification the sky is the limit. One in aus was running a blouche 3076 varient. HPA (High Performance Accademy) in New Zealand have modded thiers to fit a Borg Warner (note that required extensive modifications to the exhaust manifold/dump pipe and cutting of the radiator supports). If ever you get a chance look them up on facebook and see what they've done. Their kit is basically a test station for them. They're running exhaust gas temp sensors in every cylinder, multiple afr sensors, turbo speed sensors, motec flex fuel and boost control... It's really cool stuff... But it helps they're running their own tuning school and I suspect heavily sponsored by motec.

You're quickly going to find that going to a bigger/better turbo hits the limits of the kit's standard intercooler though. It's only designed for mild boost. Then once you change that out you're at the limits of the stock block.
JD86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD86 For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (03-26-2017), CxG (03-30-2017), Drifter X (02-20-2020), sashrafi (03-21-2017), turbocat (03-20-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #3104
Bobster

Drives: GT86 GTS
How is this kit for reliability and is anyone running this kit with BRZ edit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobster For This Useful Post:
CxG (03-30-2017), Harvie1031 (03-28-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 02:23 AM   #3105
sashrafi

Drives: 14' Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
How is this kit for reliability and is anyone running this kit with BRZ edit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
very reliable. only issues ive had is the turbo manifold not sitting flush with the block. has exhaust leak at start up but after replacing manifold gaskets with turbo gaskets it doesnt leak once the car is warmed up. other than that issue, which i believe newer production manifolds had this fixed (not sure).
i installed the kit at 13k and at 53k now and they werent easy miles.
sashrafi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sashrafi For This Useful Post:
CxG (05-03-2017), shayangh (04-22-2017), turbocat (04-21-2017)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:46 AM   #3106
Pyrium

Drives: Raven 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Hey guys,

What size turbo blanket fits this setup? I found it before, but for some reason, the search isn't finding it at the moment. I can't remember if you should get one for T4 or T6. Thank you in advance.
Pyrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:45 PM   #3107
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrium View Post
Hey guys,

What size turbo blanket fits this setup? I found it before, but for some reason, the search isn't finding it at the moment. I can't remember if you should get one for T4 or T6. Thank you in advance.
I put this one on mine. Not sure if another size would fit better but it did fit.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine.../dp/B005AU8GSI
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Pyrium (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #3108
Pyrium

Drives: Raven 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I put this one on mine. Not sure if another size would fit better but it did fit.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine.../dp/B005AU8GSI
Thank you! Also, I am the one you gave the stock headers to.
Pyrium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accelerated performance, avo turbo kit, avo turboworld, avoturboworld turbo kit, brz forum, brz forums, brz turbo, brz turbo kit, fr-s turbo, fr-s turbo kit, frs turbo, frs turbo kit, scion fr-s turbo, scion fr-s turbo kit, scion fr-s turbocharger, scion frs fi, scion frs turbo, scion frs turbo kit, scion frs turbocharger, subaru brz fi, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz turbo, subaru brz turbo kit, subaru brz turbocharger