follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
slacker221

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Traction control light coming on when tires are not slipping

So in the last few days I put on new rear tires, (oem size) and then replaced the transmission and rear diff fluid with motul 300 at a reputable jiffy lube in my town. Last night and today I noticed the car felt kind of jerky on the freeway and if I change lanes slightly aggressively the traction control light will blink a few times as if the back tires broke loose, even tho they are not at all. The TCS light is the only light that comes on and them goes away quickly. I have tried googling the issue but could not find anything with similar issues. Has anyone on here heard of this issue? I'm still under warranty and will take it in if necessary, but was wondering if anybody has any insight on this issue.

Thanks in advance
slacker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It could be a problem, but it could also not be a problem. Allow me to explain:

When I first bought my car, all was fine. Then one day I put winter tires on. They are so flobbery and soft that even mediocre sawing of the wheel back and forth would cause the traction control to FREAK OUT because the car was so slow to respond to steering input (due to the tires being so willing to roll over) that the car THOUGHT it was breaking traction when it wasn't.

Today, I went the other direction, and fitted my car with 255 section Michelin PSS tires. These have way MORE grip than the OEM rubber, and are only a 35mm sidewall, so they have sharper response too. The traction control system again becomes a nuisance, because it isn't really tuned to this sort of setup. If I swerve back and forth, it again FREAKS OUT, presumably because the forces, and the way the vehicle rolls now are so much more exaggerated that it again things something has gone horribly wrong.

If that's all that is happening, it's simply a result of the fact that you've modified some of the parameters that the system is tuned for. The ideal scenario would be if it were possible to select different "traction control maps" for your vehicle, or at least have it reprogrammed, but AFAIK, that isn't something that's possible to do.

It's also possible you have a legitimate problem, but I wanted to throw this out there because it could simply be nothing at all.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
JozhGoober

Drives: 2020 718 GT4, 2013 FR-S (Turbo)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Start with an alignment check. Whenever I do suspension work that throws my alignment out of whack, traction control goes bananas (usually on the way to the shop for the alignment). Especially if your car feels weird on the road. The other thing to check may be the wheel speed sensors, if those get knocked around they can cause TC to act up too.

I respectfully disagree with Stang up there, I think there's something wrong. I've had stock tires, Pilot Super Sports in stock size, snow tires (currently on), and 245 Hankook R-S3's on my car and never had traction control bug me unless I was driving rather aggressively or on very bad road surface (wet, bumpy, or snow).
JozhGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JozhGoober For This Useful Post:
Opie (06-18-2020)
Old 03-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JozhGoober View Post
Start with an alignment check. Whenever I do suspension work that throws my alignment out of whack, traction control goes bananas (usually on the way to the shop for the alignment). Especially if your car feels weird on the road. The other thing to check may be the wheel speed sensors, if those get knocked around they can cause TC to act up too.

I respectfully disagree with Stang up there, I think there's something wrong. I've had stock tires, Pilot Super Sports in stock size, snow tires (currently on), and 245 Hankook R-S3's on my car and never had traction control bug me unless I was driving rather aggressively or on very bad road surface (wet, bumpy, or snow).
Hmm. I suppose it's always possible that my car is screwed up, but I put the winter tires on a month after I bought the car. Otherwise stock, and this is a video I took.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOz-C33bloE[/ame]
Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #5
Chrisgalactic

Drives: White out Scion Frs
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My assumption was that it wasn't doing this before and that this error occurred after you took it to Jiffy lube. You shouldn't have taken it there in the first place IMHO. Why didn't you just go to the dealer for this? Getting an alignment is good idea tho
Chrisgalactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Lol @ reputable and jiffy lube being used in the same sentence.... like AAMCO and efficient transmission rebuilds... anyway, alignment should not have been affected by a tire mounting and fluid change, but perhaps a fresh alignment may be in order for further diagnosis and elimination of possibilities as others have noted.
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #7
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
If the front tires are pretty worn and the rears are new the difference in rotational speed of the front/rear wheels (because the rolling circumference will be quite different) may be enough that the stability control and traction control systems are getting confused when you do something that's out of the ordinary, like the quick lane changes. Somewhat normal.

Rotate your tires more often so you don't wear out just one end
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
thomasmryan (06-18-2020)
Old 03-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #8
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
what tire did you buy? I'm guessing it's a mix of a chinese-brand tire and the fact that it's a new tire and slick. the 1st part was a joke. don't get offended plz.

and what @DocWalt said makes sense too
Old 03-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #9
slacker221

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium
Yep so the issue ended up being the tires. I had bought cheap off brand tires because I planned on burning them up at the next track event, but because they were cheap tires the actual outside diameter of the tires were actually slightly bigger than the stock tire size. (Even though they are the same spec) And since I still have the stock Michelin front tires on with about 30 percent tread left, it was throwing off the wheel speed sensors.

So I upgraded to some decent hankook tires in the rear and the issue is gone so far.

Lesson learned, don't buy cheap tires lol.
slacker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slacker221 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-09-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #10
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker221 View Post
Yep so the issue ended up being the tires. I had bought cheap off brand tires because I planned on burning them up at the next track event, but because they were cheap tires the actual outside diameter of the tires were actually slightly bigger than the stock tire size. (Even though they are the same spec) And since I still have the stock Michelin front tires on with about 30 percent tread left, it was throwing off the wheel speed sensors.

So I upgraded to some decent hankook tires in the rear and the issue is gone so far.

Lesson learned, don't buy cheap tires lol.
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #11
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker221 View Post
So in the last few days I put on new rear tires, (oem size) and then replaced the transmission and rear diff fluid with motul 300 at a reputable jiffy lube in my town. Last night and today I noticed the car felt kind of jerky on the freeway and if I change lanes slightly aggressively the traction control light will blink a few times as if the back tires broke loose, even tho they are not at all. The TCS light is the only light that comes on and them goes away quickly. I have tried googling the issue but could not find anything with similar issues. Has anyone on here heard of this issue? I'm still under warranty and will take it in if necessary, but was wondering if anybody has any insight on this issue.

Thanks in advance
I just had what I bolded happen this morning. I tried to recreate it but couldn't due to traffic.
I have a 2016 with under 20K miles, stock wheels with brand new Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 215/45/17 tires.
I'm not worried but thought I would add this in case someone else experiences the same thing and doesn't have a similar situation as the OP.
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
I just had what I bolded happen this morning. I tried to recreate it but couldn't due to traffic.
I have a 2016 with under 20K miles, stock wheels with brand new Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 215/45/17 tires.
I'm not worried but thought I would add this in case someone else experiences the same thing and doesn't have a similar situation as the OP.
If the light came on then the traction control came on. Just because you didn't feel anything doesn't mean it wasn't doing it's job. In fact it shows just how smooth the TC can be if it can save your butt and you don't even realize it.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #13
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If the light came on then the traction control came on. Just because you didn't feel anything doesn't mean it wasn't doing it's job. In fact it shows just how smooth the TC can be if it can save your butt and you don't even realize it.
Oh yeah I totally agree.
I didn't think that the conditions (40F degrees and dry) were enough to warrant it being needed but at the time I'm thinking about the workday ahead of me and not looking for opportunities to trip the TC so I'll believe that it honestly saw a need to do something.
For a minute I thought about softer sidewalls on the winter tires, maybe there was water on one of the painted dotted lines that I couldn't see or something else but then I just let it go.

One other thing I'll note is that it was completely silent as far as I could tell (radio was on).
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joon525 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #14
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
For a minute I thought about softer sidewalls on the winter tires...
Or maybe that's exactly what it was. Happens to me all the time with more aggressive steering inputs. Don't forget how much more tread squirm there is on winter tires.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1vDOxXH9Pw[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Joon525 (12-09-2016)