follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #57
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Any particular reason behind trading in the 2003 Evo for a 2011 GTS? Or was it just time for a new car?
Sadly the EVO was sideswiped, the car was still operational and mostly cosmetic (although they were close to totalling it) so the body shop put it back together. With just over 200K miles and a fresh coat of paint it was primo time to sell so we did.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #58
spomi

Drives: 2009 Impreza
Let's take this back to evo x vs brz for the people who are on the fence still.

From my research. Both car has their share of problems. Evo stock clutch, fuel starvation.. brz with CEL and engine sounds.

For the owners of both cars: how much harder does the evo pull. Do you miss it in the brz?

For just daily driving fun...brz or evo?

Fuel? I heard the Evo's fuel consumption is just comical if you push it. How far compare to a brz.

Finally. Evo (at least the current form) is going away. Will this be a problem In a long run? Can I still find places to service the ayc or ACD?
spomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #59
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spomi View Post
Fuel? I heard the Evo's fuel consumption is just comical if you push it. How far compare to a brz.
A lot of people seem to be reporting very good fuel economy in the FR-S/BRZ. A lot of people are averaging ~28 mpg overall, and there was another thread where someone mentioned that throughout some road trip, their average was around 34 mpg.

The Evo, on the other hand, won't get anywhere near to that. Do you remember how in Back to the Future III the train operator was saying with the most ideal conditions possible, the train could hit 80 mph? It's like that for the Evo X getting 28 mpg (without being modded or tuned in a manner that would create better fuel economy). Pushing it will get you well into the mid-teens.

Quote:
Finally. Evo (at least the current form) is going away. Will this be a problem In a long run? Can I still find places to service the ayc or ACD?
It's odd that you're not aware of this, seeing how you're in California. Anyway, even if the Evo ends up being out of production, it's not as if Mitsubishi is going to vanish (or at least we hope not, even though the vast majority of their lineup sucks). Dealerships will still be able to service the cars (though make sure you pick the right one) since it's not as if Evos will disappear (as they will still need service), but there are a lot of specialty shops that are capable of servicing them (i.e. RRE and some other places).
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #60
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Garage
Quote:
Let's take this back to evo x vs brz for the people who are on the fence still.

From my research. Both car has their share of problems. Evo stock clutch, fuel starvation.. brz with CEL and engine sounds.

For the owners of both cars: how much harder does the evo pull. Do you miss it in the brz?

The Evo clutch is perfect until you push the tq over 350 or so and there is no fuel starvation.

My Evo is 391hp/392tq and pulls like a bat out of hell. I do miss it, I do not miss the stg 4 clutch. I don't drive the Evo everyday.

DD fun, I LOVE the BRZ and walk right past the Evo everyday with no remorse. The brz is modded to but still only like 180hp-ish

Both cars eat fuel if you push them. The brz just starts with better mileage.

For the millionth time the Evo isn't going anywhere. There is only rumors that the motor will even change. There is a rumor that it will go hybrid diesel. There is a rumor for electric/gasoline motor, one running front wheels one runnin the back. Everything at this point is a rumor except that the Evo will NOT Be going away.

You will have no problem then or now getting repairs.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #61
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
Quote:

Evo pulls much much harder. BR-Z barely pulls, and it's pretty flat until 6+k rpm. If you want a nice pulling engine, the BRZ/FR-S aren't very satisfying.

Daily driving both are fun, you're just more likely to get a ticket with the Evo. In turns the BR-Z is more fun, because the less grippy tires mean you can take it to its limit much easier.

Mnfr have to support a car for about 25 yrs. Discontinuing doesn't mean they immediately stop supporting the car.
Aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #62
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki View Post
In turns the BR-Z is more fun, because the less grippy tires mean you can take it to its limit much easier.
That's only if you keep the OEM tires (or similar ones like Z1 Star Specs) on the Evo. Going with a less hardcore summer tire (like Hankook V112 Evos) do let the car slide a little bit more easily. I've tried it myself in mine.

Quote:
Mnfr have to support a car for about 25 yrs. Discontinuing doesn't mean they immediately stop supporting the car.
Exactly, it doesn't just end right then and there. Isuzu has been out of the game for a bit for passenger vehicles in the U.S., but I think that certain dealerships are contracted to service them for warranty needs and such.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #63
SLICVIC

Drives: 2006 STi
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXDD View Post
The evo i get so much sausage giving me thumbs up and people trying to race me in there civics

im also coming from a STi
Old 09-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #64
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
That's only if you keep the OEM tires (or similar ones like Z1 Star Specs) on the Evo. Going with a less hardcore summer tire (like Hankook V112 Evos) do let the car slide a little bit more easily. I've tried it myself in mine.

Exactly, it doesn't just end right then and there. Isuzu has been out of the game for a bit for passenger vehicles in the U.S., but I think that certain dealerships are contracted to service them for warranty needs and such.
All the tires you just named are race prepped tires. The will NOT break loose like the prius tires we we're given at stock form. That is a literal term. Our tires are the same brand series as a Prius. The purpose they gave us these tires was so the car broke loose, giving us the feel of a much faster car. IE you break loose on every turn or chirp through third gear shifts you feel like you have a powerful car.

You put star specs especially (or v12's I have owned them both ony Evo) you will not break loose, and will loose that feel of a more powerful car but will gain more handling because the car will not break loose, but will take the corners beautifully. The v12's are more greasy of a tire and will not produce as much of the handling feel until brought to heat

The brz/frs as a stock form is a drift car. You put a6's or star specs on it and you have a track car
The Following User Says Thank You to EvoXDD For This Useful Post:
MarkRacerX (11-20-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #65
DeeezNuuuts83

I was referring to those tires on an Evo (as I said I have tried both tires in "mine," as I own a IX). So with them being on an FR-S/BRZ, yes, it will be much harder to break traction, though of course it will be most difficult in the Z1s.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #66
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
I should've clarified and say an Evo and FR-S are fun in completely different ways. The Evo is fun because it's literally quick. The FR-S is fun because you can fling it around.

Getting less grippy tires doesn't make the Evo more fun than an FR-S. imo. It's not a car to get the tail loose like the FR-S. I like both the Evo and FR-S a lot. I'd lean towards the FR-S more only because I don't have to brazenly brake the law to enjoy it on the street.
Aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #67
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Getting less grippy tires doesn't make the Evo more fun than an FR-S. imo. It's not a car to get the tail loose like the FR-S.
But you can get the rear end out surprisingly easy for an AWD car, though of course less grippy tires make it easier... but like you said, it's not necessarily fun, though some people may think it is. It just depends on what you think is fun. I thought it was cool to be able to slide more easily, but you do lose some of the initial steering response with less grippy tires.

Quote:
I'd lean towards the FR-S more only because I don't have to brazenly brake the law to enjoy it on the street.
That makes perfect sense. But you won't necessarily need to break (not "brake") laws to enjoy an Evo on the street, assuming that we're talking about stuff other than long straights. You just won't be as close to pushing it to its absolute limits as you would be in an FR-S/BRZ... which makes the 86 so intriguing.

My cousin is picking up a BRZ pretty soon, hopefully he'll let me thrash his, and I'll figure out some of the real differences.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #68
MarkRacerX

Drives: 12' Evo X , prior 1st 86 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just went the other direction, just before Halloween I traded off the FR-S for a new Evo GSR. I have owned many Turbo cars and it was tough going backwards on HP/TQ I will say. But I totally enjoyed the FR-S this year and took 3rd overall for the Autocross season where the car shines! Handled on RAILS w/ Hankook RS3's I will say, this was my 3rd Rwd car. I had a 350Z and a BMW 135i prior and the FR-S hands down Handled the Best, easiest to Autocross. After time, a certain part of me missed Awd+Turbo , along with having more room! Also we get snow here and an Awd car + 4 door is more fitting and I can enjoy through all the seasons/weather. I though the FR-S was crazy quick steering, the EVO is even Lighter steering w/ min input to turn. You def notice the size/weight over the FR-S. I am looking fwd to Racing the Evo come 2013! The two are just soo different cars, from small light N/A, to larger 4dr Turbo car. The Evo w/ some mods has been named the " Poor Man's GTR " the car/platform has BIG Potential and many Evo's out +400hp range no problem

If anyone is debating, just have to Drive em' Both and if you have Winter or not plays a factor, no worries if FR-S is a 2nd car though.
08' STi, 04' 350Z, 04' STi, 02' WRX. 96' GSR, 04' SE-R/SpecV
MarkRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #69
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRacerX View Post
I though the FR-S was crazy quick steering, the EVO is even Lighter steering w/ min input to turn.
Yup, that's what a lot of people don't realize until they actually drive the car. They automatically think that because it has AWD, four doors and a lot of weight that it understeers poorly like a base 1990s Impreza. But it's actually very throttle steerable, given its stock power, suspension tuning and computer wizardry.

Congrats on the purchase though, good to hear input from someone who has had both. Which year Evo did you go with?
Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #70
MarkRacerX

Drives: 12' Evo X , prior 1st 86 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Evo X GSR

I got a 2012, w/ the Aero pkg w/ wing, Rockford Fosgate Audio w/ sub, HIDs, Comfort key fob, Bluetooth, I think that's it. Def loving it and WoW the OEM Recaro seats are nice Unlike my prior 4 Subaru's , no chance of sliding in these seats racing!

No joke, you move wheel an inch = YOU TURN! You set your hand on wheel , it turns, min input is just Insane w/ like no resistance !
08' STi, 04' 350Z, 04' STi, 02' WRX. 96' GSR, 04' SE-R/SpecV
MarkRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote