follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #57
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Oil is oil.

Marketing is marketing.

People who think changing to a different brand of oil and thinking it makes a big difference are only fooling themselves.

And wasting their money.

And don't even get me started on my opinion of buying anything that has TRD on it.

Ok I will bite, what are your issues with TRD products?
Any TRD part I’ve purchased is very high quality, and always fits without any headaches. I don’t see why that would be a bad thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #58
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Oil is oil.
Marketing is marketing.
People who think changing to a different brand of oil and thinking it makes a big difference are only fooling themselves.

And wasting their money.
And don't even get me started on my opinion of buying anything that has TRD on it.
So to say that confidently, you must have either tried a different transmission oil and seen no change, or be an engineer/scientist in the lubricant feild and know the exact formula of all brands of oil and be familiar with the production and distribution process. Is one of those correct?

My experimental results are contrary to your assertion.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-05-2019), wparsons (11-05-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #59
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
It doesn’t seem too bad, using a lift is required it looks like. The IRP shifter is much taller with very quick throws, that would be perfect for the track!

Lift is definitely not required. An extra jack for the transmission is however. It was not a fun job but in hindsight it would have dropped my exhaust since it is 3" and got in the way a bit. My biggest trouble was actually removing the original shifter assembly, trying to get it past the drive train and exhaust was a bitch.
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arkanist For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #60
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanist View Post
Lift is definitely not required. An extra jack for the transmission is however. It was not a fun job but in hindsight it would have dropped my exhaust since it is 3" and got in the way a bit. My biggest trouble was actually removing the original shifter assembly, trying to get it past the drive train and exhaust was a bitch.

How do you like the short shifter?

Is there a way to improve the throws without a full short shift kit install? Different bushings maybe?

Old 11-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #61
JesseG

And just for fun a couple pics of the beast. I removed the TRD style duckbill wing and went back to the stock wheels and taillights.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #62
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
How do you like the short shifter?

Is there a way to improve the throws without a full short shift kit install? Different bushings maybe?

I have heard good things about changing all the bushings out but I havent done it myself.

I love the IRP. It's like shifting a bolt action rifle, in a really good way. Some people get really bad rattles from it but I haven't so no complaints there.
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #63
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG
Ok I will bite, what are your issues with TRD products?
Any TRD part I’ve purchased is very high quality, and always fits without any headaches. I don’t see why that would be a bad thing?

Not OP but my problem with TRD is marketing. I have some TRD parts and they are fine but it seems like it's lost all meaning. TRD = Toyota Racing Development, but then you have "TRD" versions of non-racing vehicles like SUV's, Trucks, Sedans. So it devalues the brand imo and so everyone slaps TRD emblems and stickers on their commuter corolla/camry/tundra etc.

I guess it would be like people slapping ///M logos and emblems on BMW's SUV. STI logos on subaru SUV's etc.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #64
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is a low clutch pedal good for the throw out bearing?
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #65
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Is a low clutch pedal good for the throw out bearing?
Makes no difference as long as the master cylinder piston is allowed to fully extend at rest.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #66
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
Not OP but my problem with TRD is marketing. I have some TRD parts and they are fine but it seems like it's lost all meaning. TRD = Toyota Racing Development, but then you have "TRD" versions of non-racing vehicles like SUV's, Trucks, Sedans. So it devalues the brand imo and so everyone slaps TRD emblems and stickers on their commuter corolla/camry/tundra etc.

I guess it would be like people slapping ///M logos and emblems on BMW's SUV. STI logos on subaru SUV's etc.
As a long time MOPAR guy this hits a nerve every single time this topic comes up!

Attached Images

Old 11-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #67
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post

ya'll take emblems too seriously!
just one picture of my subaru/srt/hellcat/z71/trd offroad/alfa romeo. ranger.

my brz now wears the 'ranger' badge too. the reactions are fun!
Ultramaroon (11-05-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 01:53 AM   #68
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
1. Do you experience a lot of crunchy gear changes from 1 to 2? I find the 1-2 shift especially tricky, which is unfortunate because of how many times you make that shift.

2. Is the “tractor” sound normal when you are in a higher gear at lower rpm’s? My car really sounds like a little tractor in that situation. Lol It’s especially noticeable when you are in say 2nd gear slowly moving through a parking lot.

3. What is the consensus on short shift kits? I’m worried about spending a bunch of money on one and not being happy with it. I added a oem TRD shift knob, which surprisingly feels lighter than the stock one. I really like it though.

4. Is removing the clutch assist spring a helpful thing? I agree that the clutch takeup is a little strange, but my issues aren’t with the clutch pedal.
I used to hate the crunchy 1-2 shifts, but recently they've been surprisingly smooth. Like butter actually. The only difference I can think of is I'm making sure to lift completely off the throttle on the 1-2 shift.

Strangely I've noticed the 2-3 shift has gotten slightly notchy. For a split second, it'll sometimes catch going into the gate. But then it slots in and no problem. It's not like the 1-2 crunchiness, it's more like a single distinct notch or hiccup going into the gate. But it's a minor issue and it's never caused me to miss the shift. Hot/cold doesn't seem to affect it either.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote