follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #15
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota86.ir View Post
Why trd do not make light weight flywheel for AT models?
You don't have a flywheel/clutch pair. You have a flexplate and torque converter. You can't install a flywheel, so they don't make one for you.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #16
Gear_One_Performance

Drives: 2014 BRZ SCCA STU endurance car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
And to piggyback on that, the flexplates are pretty light to begin with, there's really no weight to lose in that area.
Gear_One_Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gear_One_Performance For This Useful Post:
Toyota86.ir (03-03-2016), wparsons (09-27-2019)
Old 03-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #17
saj

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one huge Toyota dealer in Southern California that couldn't order JDM parts for you. There were some things I saw in the BRZ catalog that I really liked, I hope it's not the same issue with Subaru America. Hopefully you just spoke to some potatoes at Toyota.
saj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:24 AM   #18
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Just had the TRD lightweight flywheel installed on my 86 2 days ago. Still have the stock clutch (dont have plans for significantly increasing hp ).

Some context: I don't track, I mostly like to cruise around town and don't hit up the canyons all that often. My ultimate goal for the car is to make it lighter and handle better while trying not to compromise tooooo much comfort.

First impressions:

-Starting from a stop is a little bit harder now. I haven't stalled but the clutch pedal feels lighter and it isn't as easy to find the friction point like it was before. I've read numerous complaints about oem clutch feel in our cars and I'd imagine those same people would hate having to deal with a lightweight flywheel. Never had a complaint about stock feel and actually thought it was perfect. But now I might take out the clutch assist spring to help make my start from stops more smoother or adjust the clutch pedal itself as I tend to now give it a little more gas than i should to get it going.

-Upshifting feels great when you're on point. The revs now fall so quickly that you kinda have to be on top of it to really nail that smooth transition. After shifting up you gotta be quick to release the clutch so the revs don't fall too far down. No more rev hang feels great though. Improvements in acceleration is subtle but the improved pick up is there. the 86 now just wants to live in the higher rev range. Which is great sometimes....but sometimes it isn't. As mentioned before I mainly like to cruise and just chill but upshifting under 4k has become more of a chore. you need to be aware of what your feet and hand are doing where as before you didn't really have to think about it.

-Downshifting. This is where I'm a little iffy on the lighter flywheel. It is waaaay tougher to get a smooth heel toe downshift now than before. Even with just a regular downshift too btw. The stock flywheel was so forgiving and fun. You could HT-downshift in ANY range on the tach. Lower range was especially fun because you'd get that sweet downshift sound without having to really push the car. I now have to think about if I should HT-downshift or let the engine do the braking and then regularly downshift because the revs fall so quickly. When I get a HT-downshift wrong it's usually because I didn't give myself enough time (start from a higher rev) to release the clutch quickly enough. So now my braking points have gotten later to compensate before turns...Which is fine I guess and more racecar like... Had planned on upgrading the brake pads, now might be a good time.

Overall, yeah. The car feels more racecar like now. Which I get, I mean cars built for the track aren't starting from stops all the time and have more open road to wring the engine out, brake later etc...I honestly felt like I made a huge mistake in choosing a performance lw flywheel for my mostly street driven 86. But if anything, it's really made me appreciate how GOOD the oem setup is. OEM is so much easier of course but way more fun too.

I don't regret upgrading to a lwfw. It's only the third day and I've already gotten better and more comfortable with the difference. I can now cruise and take it easy like before but when I first drove the car with lwfw it felt like racecar mode was on ALL the time. Was a little annoying tbh. But the acceleration is definitely addicting. Again it isn't huge but it is a little quicker and it's more fun to push the car with a lwfw. But if given the right circumstances to go back to OEM I would. The 86 stock was already a solid tool in teaching you how to be a better driver. With this lwfw upgrade, because you have to be on point with your shifting, even more so now!

TL;DR: OEM FW is fine, more forgiving which = way more fun.
LWFW takes some getting used to, more life to the drive esp in accel, needs your full attention to be smooth.

Last edited by beltax90; 09-25-2019 at 03:45 AM.
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beltax90 For This Useful Post:
churchx (09-25-2019), DAEMANO (09-27-2019), Skyehigh55 (09-27-2019), SuperTom (04-20-2020), wparsons (09-27-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 03:34 AM   #19
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Thanks for honest review. Made me rethink future mod list. While i do track mine, comfortable handling/driving inputs in DD use matters for me too. If many mods are done for subjective feel change, it matters choosing mod if subjectively change is for better or worse.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
wparsons (09-27-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 03:42 AM   #20
beltax90

Yeah, I'd at least give LWFW a try and make the necessary adjustments to make it feel better.
But tbh I do miss the feeling with the stock FW.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #21
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post
-Starting from a stop is a little bit harder now. I haven't stalled but the clutch pedal feels lighter and it isn't as easy to find the friction point like it was before. I've read numerous complaints about oem clutch feel in our cars and I'd imagine those same people would hate having to deal with a lightweight flywheel. Never had a complaint about stock feel and actually thought it was perfect. But now I might take out the clutch assist spring to help make my start from stops more smoother or adjust the clutch pedal itself as I tend to now give it a little more gas than i should to get it going.
Absolutely remove the clutch assist spring; it helps a lot with clutch feel. I have the Exedy flywheel paired to an oem spec exedy clutch with no assist spring, and I daily the car. I've even let a few friends drive it and they don't stall.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #22
beltax90

Just a quick update:

Haven't taken the spring out, dont think I need to. I think the clutch pedal just needs to be adjusted. I've actually gotten a lot better with being able to control the clutch when driving /starting from stops.

It honestly feels like stock now when cruising which is important to me. I think what was throwing me off was of course the actual change but I think the ECU just needed to get back to normal after having the batt disconnected during installation. I noticed when i first got the car back the brake pedal was really touchy and I feel like acceleration overall has gone back to normal which i think may also be ecu related?

Anyway, the car drives fine. would like to adjust the free play in the clutch pedal, no chatter, regular idle, very happy with the results. just took a couple days to get used to (both from me and the car)

because i wasnt used to the car a couple of days ago i was starting to second guess going with this lwfw and also buying the greddy pulley set for better throttle response. but now that everything is normal again and drivability is fine i'll def be up to give that pulley set a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to beltax90 For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (04-20-2020)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #23
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I have the same lwfw kit and as it was mentioned above you get used to it. It is not un-drivable on daily traffic, but you have to be a bit more careful. Nevertheless, a couple of people that tried to drive my car they stalled the engine.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
beltax90 (09-26-2019), wparsons (09-27-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 10:42 PM   #24
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota86.ir View Post
Why trd do not make light weight flywheel for AT models?
Because it as light as it gets. Usually just a thin pressed cicle of sheetmetal with a ring gear welded on it. Maybe 3 lbs or lighter.
Usually called a flex plate.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidsnake11 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 01:04 AM   #25
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Do you suggest to get the clutch kit together with flywheel for DD?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:04 AM   #26
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
If you race track the car, then it might worth it if you chasing times. As it was mentioned above there is some improvement in acceleration. I noticed the same and the improvement is consistent in measurements. If you can live with it as a DD or not, it depends the person. I believe that some will love it and some will hate it.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #27
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post

If the car is a pure DD, just keep the stock flywheel and clutch, unless you're making a ton more power and need a stronger clutch.
Old 08-18-2023, 09:41 AM   #28
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I do not think I have ever given a review on my TRD 'metal facing' clutch, LWFW, or 'clutch cover'. My car was stock besides TRD intake and exhaust, and was getting it since I needed a new clutch, I wanted to learn a more aggressive clutch for other cars I may drive, and for the pricing shipped I got all three for way under the cost of the Exedy equivalents (and because each TRD part adds 5hp, so an increase in 15 horsepower from these).

Got these installed while my engine was getting rebuilt since we were already in there and the stock clutch was almost gone. At this point I had had the car for a year and a half, learned manual in the car, and was 17 when these were installed. I had not drove my car for about 2 months or a manual car nonetheless because this was in the middle of the big shipping issues in 2021 and the shortblock was being sent from Japan (updated block).

First impressions I did not really feel too much, and since the engine had to be broke in I could not rev it too high. Did not stall leaving the shop, and probably did not stall it for a few days. Compared to a stock car the clutch is more of an on/off switch, and engages really late in the clutch travel. The LWFW definitely helps the car rev faster and feels more peppy, but mixed with the clutch it is pretty easy to stall the car. I use it as a daily so I did get used to it pretty quickly and maybe stall it once a week at most which I would say is pretty good. The people that drive manual commonly have the hardest time it seems, while I have taught people how to drive manual in my car and they have done pretty good. My buddy who drove a manual Cobalt and drives a 500whp Regal burns the clutch on a start and has a hard time rev matching, while his younger brother that may have drove the Cobalt a few times drove my car easily, did clutchless shifts, etc (under my instruction on how to drive said clutch). Another friend is experienced with a NA Miata around a track, and he has troubles with not staling or burning the clutch. So I would say it is more of a 'if you know how to use a race cutch and a lightweight flywheel you will be fine' attitude.

I am at about 23k miles and it is holding up strong, and we will see how it handles the supercharger I have coming!

T RD, Verus, Ace
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bergycheese348 For This Useful Post:
Jianlun (03-06-2024), nikitopo (08-18-2023), Teseo (08-19-2023)