follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #43
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloFRS View Post
Oh haha. Yes i know, I just wasn't sure about Tomei. Kinda set with that or Borla or JDL. But leaning towards Tomei. Any suggestions on which is better?
Take a closer look at the Gruppe-S. Similar performance, sound and build quality to the Tomei, but is less expensive. Bob at Drift-Office did a comparison that speaks to this.

JDL makes great headers, no doubt, but they're on the expensive side. You may have a marginal gain, but for that price I'd toss an EL header like the Ace into the ring for a different sound but much better performance.

Barring price, sound is a preference. Here are some clips from my car, which has the Gruppe-S UEL header: (among other things that adjust the noise)

Roll on WOT pull from middle of 2nd to bottom of 4th

After installation, sounds a little deeper now
Setup 5: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Built Motor
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #44
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,523 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post
Take a closer look at the Gruppe-S. Similar performance, sound and build quality to the Tomei, but is less expensive. Bob at Drift-Office did a comparison that speaks to this.

JDL makes great headers, no doubt, but they're on the expensive side. You may have a marginal gain, but for that price I'd toss an EL header like the Ace into the ring for a different sound but much better performance.

Barring price, sound is a preference. Here are some clips from my car, which has the Gruppe-S UEL header: (among other things that adjust the noise)

Roll on WOT pull from middle of 2nd to bottom of 4th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfcb2Kc-4Pc

After installation, sounds a little deeper now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohopihXrv9c
JDL can be "expensive" but the quality and warranty makes worth to take a shot.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #45
FRS_FIEND
FRS is paid off 15Aug19!!

Drives: '13 Asphalt FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowReaper View Post
Did you install the Borla UEL header yourself? or did you take it to a shop?

Im eventually going to get the header and I'm don't have the best mechanical knowledge.
I installed it myself, it's really simple access wise and as long ass you're using a torque wrench that is calibrated and using the right torque spec you'll be alright hardest thing I'd saying is making sure you're properly aligning it with the rest of your exhaust part. Which is pretty important cause you don't want any leaks. A you tube how to video will be very helpful for you to visualize your task as well

Sorry for the insanely late reply I'm deployed and haven't been on in a long while. Hope you were able to get an answer

Instagram: @angelb_af

Last edited by FRS_FIEND; 03-20-2016 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Apology
FRS_FIEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #46
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_FIEND View Post
I installed it myself, it's really simple access wise and as long ass you're using a torque wrench that is calibrated and using the right torque spec you'll be alright hardest thing I'd saying is making sure you're properly aligning it with the rest of your exhaust part. Which is pretty important cause you don't want any leaks. A you tube how to video will be very helpful for you to visualize your task as well

Sorry for the insanely late reply I'm deployed and haven't been on in a long while. Hope you were able to get an answer
No worries. A lot has change tho. I took my eyes off the Borla and just went with a Dezod cat-back. A header is for another time.
Mods: Helix Dark Side Markers / Dezod Cat-Back / Enkei TS9s 18 x 8.5 / Continental ExtremeContact DW 245/35/18 / Valenti Sequential Tail Lights (Black Edition) / JDL Turbo / HRI Tuned / Radium Catch Can / South Bend Clutch
https://wheelwell.com/g-ramos/2jkh/2015-subaru-brz
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #47
FRS_FIEND
FRS is paid off 15Aug19!!

Drives: '13 Asphalt FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowReaper View Post
No worries. A lot has change tho. I took my eyes off the Borla and just went with a Dezod cat-back. A header is for another time.
Alright nice man

Instagram: @angelb_af
FRS_FIEND is offline   Reply With Quote