follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List
Koji_Online

Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #477
Razzle

Drives: Toyota 86 (High) - White
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You not over thinking it. Make sure the clutch is fully disengaged else you will be riding it and it will burn.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Razzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #478
TECHDUDE86

Drives: BLACK MAMBA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Title is very misleading, but there is only one perfect adjustment that can be done to the clutch pedal and that is ZERO FREEPLAY.

ZERO FREEPLAY in the rod/pedal allows maximum clutch disengagement. Any FREEPLAY that can be felt on clutch rod/pedal can cause the clutch itself to not fully disengage during gear changing BUT over tightening the rod can cause disengagement to the clutch itself without actually depressing the clutch. You will encounter clutch slipping.

P.S. Removing FREEPLAY from the rod will cause your clutch engagement to be a little higher up when releasing the clutch pedal depending on the life of the clutch will determine when it grabs up top. REASON: By fully utilizing your ZERO FREEPLAY clutch pedal, you extended the contact surface between the clutch and flywheel when the clutch is depress, hence releasing the pedal for engagement will be a little up top before the clutch make contact with the flywheel.

<----------------------- LMAO dont listen to this guy, he only has one post. He probably doesn't know what he is talking about blah blah blah....

FYI I am a proud owner of a NFR S2000 and recently picked up a RAVEN FR-S.

CHEERS!!!
TECHDUDE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #479
BigNastyIII

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you @Koji_Online and @JonnyRocket for this awesome DIY and video!

I didnt see anyone mention, but it works on 2014 model too.
BigNastyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #480
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I did the clutch adjustment a month ago and loved the new engagement point. I just replaced my clutch with an Exedy Stage 1 and now it feels like the grab point is too low. Has anyone else had this experience? I think I'll need to readjust it outwards
Old 07-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #481
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
I did the clutch adjustment a month ago and loved the new engagement point. I just replaced my clutch with an Exedy Stage 1 and now it feels like the grab point is too low. Has anyone else had this experience? I think I'll need to readjust it outwards
Probably due to thicker clutch material? Would make sense
Old 07-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #482
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I had to back the adjustment off a bit and it's good again. After swapping out clutches, it moved the bite point down farther than stock
Old 07-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #483
Stealthy

Drives: 2014 WRB Bravo Romeo Zulu
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just did this, first try I overadjusted so it was too low... I adjusted it so it's slightly higher than the brake and all I have to say is wow, night and day difference!

Thank you for this!
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #484
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy View Post
Just did this, first try I overadjusted so it was too low... I adjusted it so it's slightly higher than the brake and all I have to say is wow, night and day difference!

Thank you for this!
Now you just have to pull the return spring out and it'll actually feel like a real clutch!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #485
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHDUDE86 View Post
Title is very misleading, but there is only one perfect adjustment that can be done to the clutch pedal and that is ZERO FREEPLAY.

ZERO FREEPLAY in the rod/pedal allows maximum clutch disengagement. Any FREEPLAY that can be felt on clutch rod/pedal can cause the clutch itself to not fully disengage during gear changing BUT over tightening the rod can cause disengagement to the clutch itself without actually depressing the clutch. You will encounter clutch slipping.

P.S. Removing FREEPLAY from the rod will cause your clutch engagement to be a little higher up when releasing the clutch pedal depending on the life of the clutch will determine when it grabs up top. REASON: By fully utilizing your ZERO FREEPLAY clutch pedal, you extended the contact surface between the clutch and flywheel when the clutch is depress, hence releasing the pedal for engagement will be a little up top before the clutch make contact with the flywheel.

<----------------------- LMAO dont listen to this guy, he only has one post. He probably doesn't know what he is talking about blah blah blah....

FYI I am a proud owner of a NFR S2000 and recently picked up a RAVEN FR-S.

CHEERS!!!
This is the truth!

There's simply way too much freeplay with the stock setting. The clutch it awefully high too. It took me three tries but now it's perfect. I like my clutch set lower to the floor with little to no play. Now clutch modulation is perfect.

This should be the absolute first mod anybody that buy's this car should do.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #486
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
This is the truth!

There's simply way too much freeplay with the stock setting. The clutch it awefully high too. It took me three tries but now it's perfect. I like my clutch set lower to the floor with little to no play. Now clutch modulation is perfect.

This should be the absolute first mod anybody that buy's this car should do.
Yeah but I'd be extremely careful about it though, because a lot of people including myself have been blowing through throwout bearings after this mod. It's not a fun or cheap fix.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #487
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
Yeah but I'd be extremely careful about it though, because a lot of people including myself have been blowing through throwout bearings after this mod. It's not a fun or cheap fix.
Are people who leave some free play having issues with throwout bearings? First time I've heard of this.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #488
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm sure I'll be fine.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #489
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
Are people who leave some free play having issues with throwout bearings? First time I've heard of this.
All I know is that if the clutch pedal is moved too far down through this mod, then your throwout bearing is engaging and being used when it's not supposed to be. The throwout bearing is only meant to be spinning when you briefly press the clutch down to shift gears. It's not meant to always be engaged, otherwise it is going to wear out prematurely. You can actually see this at a certain angle when underneath the car (with engine running). I think I also saw it through the clutch fork boot. As long as your throwout bearing is disengaged 100% after this mod, you're good to go. I just put my pedal level back up to stock height because the turbo setup and aftermarket clutch and flywheel isn't helping my throwout bearing any lol.
aristo (07-25-2014), shiro (05-12-2015)
Old 07-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #490
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
All I know is that if the clutch pedal is moved too far down through this mod, then your throwout bearing is engaging and being used when it's not supposed to be. The throwout bearing is only meant to be spinning when you briefly press the clutch down to shift gears. It's not meant to always be engaged, otherwise it is going to wear out prematurely. You can actually see this at a certain angle when underneath the car (with engine running). I think I also saw it through the clutch fork boot. As long as your throwout bearing is disengaged 100% after this mod, you're good to go. I just put my pedal level back up to stock height because the turbo setup and aftermarket clutch and flywheel isn't helping my throwout bearing any lol.
Can you tell if the bearing is being engaged from inside the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
aristo (07-25-2014)

Tags
clutch adjustment, clutch helper spring