follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #43
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
does briste even own a 86 or is he one of those weird lurkers
Yeah... I'm a weird lurker who's been around since 2011/2012. But I might just give up on this forum because lately it's become a haven for trolls. It used to be about interesting in-depth discussions but now it seems like everyone just wants to try and troll for laughs since they probably don't have any real life friends and it makes them feel special when they get a "Thanks." As far as I could tell, the OP was asking a serious question and when I give him a serious response, I get criticized for it?

If you've been around for as long as I have, you would know why I haven't bought an FR-S yet and my thoughts on it as I have posted about it many times.
Koa (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #44
himbo

Drives: Lightening Red BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's nice to get the gears turning, which is why I posed the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navanodd View Post
Even thinner paint?
Thinner you say?
Attached Images

himbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to himbo For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #45
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You're probably not going to get lighter wheels from a factory on a car at this price point. If you saw what Enkei/oz/bbs do when manufacturing theirs, you'd know why they cost what they do. It's a much more time-intensive process that's not suited well to mass production on Subaru/Toyota's level, which is why you usually only see lightweight performance oriented wheels on much more expensive cars produced in low-volume. Not on the same level of difficulty as something like carbon fiber/composite brake discs, but same idea.

The stock wheels are designed for minimal machining, cost, and production time.

The single exit exhaust would be nice, and far more efficient, but that's dictated by market studies and focus groups saying people want dual exit exhausts even when they're entirely unnecessary on a 2.0L 4-banger.

I would have liked to see them save some weight on rotational mass like the driveshaft and elsewhere as well. For a lightweight car the sound tube was just pointless, I'm glad I took it out.

There's an awesome weight thread somewhere, where pretty much everything unnecessary or replaceable stock parts was weighed and tallied. If you want too cut weight, start there. It's not hard to cut a lot without buying anything, and without spending a lot either.

Once you get into lighter weight performance parts your wallet is going to take a hit unless you're replacing something that already broke.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoomsdayJesus For This Useful Post:
Anthony (04-02-2015), stugray (03-30-2015), Ultramaroon (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #46
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
does briste even own a 86 or is he one of those weird lurkers
Bristecom tldr: He has two whole test drives under his belt, calls the car disappointing, says his Mitsubishi is better and is holding out for a faster version.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #47
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
You're probably not going to get lighter wheels from a factory on a car at this price point. If you saw what Enkei/oz/bbs do when manufacturing theirs, you'd know why they cost what they do. It's a much more time-intensive process that's not suited well to mass production on Subaru/Toyota's level, which is why you usually only see lightweight performance oriented wheels on much more expensive cars produced in low-volume. Not on the same level of difficulty as something like carbon fiber/composite brake discs, but same idea.

The single exit exhaust would be nice, and far more efficient, but that's dictated by market studies and focus groups saying people want dual exit exhausts even when they're entirely unnecessary on a 2.0L 4-banger.

I would have liked to see them save some weight on rotational mass like the driveshaft and elsewhere as well. For a lightweight car the sound tube was just pointless, I'm glad I took it out.

There's an awesome weight thread somewhere, where pretty much everything unnecessary or replaceable stock parts was weighed and tallied. If you want too cut weight, start there. It's not hard to cut a lot without buying anything, and without spending a lot either.

Once you get into lighter weight performance parts your wallet is going to take a hit unless you're replacing something that already broke.
Maybe they should make a higher end model with stuff like forged wheels, forged aluminum links, and Brembo brakes for those who value that sort of thing. Aftermarket is not always the most reliable or cost effective way of going about that stuff.

The dual exhaust is likely a consequence of needing a bigger muffler to meet stricter noise ordinances. But I would love to see them design a lighter and straighter exhaust that could accommodate a real rear diffuser for minimal lift.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #48
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Bristecom tldr: He has two whole test drives under his belt, calls the car disappointing, says his Mitsubishi is better and is holding out for a faster version.
Three test drives.

I did not say the car was disappointing. I love it. That's why I'm still here. The main thing that disappointed me was the power band and I am still somewhat concerned with reliability. If I buy a new car, I want to try to avoid the dealership at all costs. So I will get one eventually but for now I'm sticking with my Mitsubishis.

At least you've been around long enough to know me strat.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 PM   #49
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Stock wheels are made by Enkei already (well, the STI wheels are... I bet the normal ones are too as Enkei is an OEM supplier).

Driveshaft is what it needs to be for multiple reasons that I'm really not in the mood to get into. It's not a great place to cut weight.

Cast/forged aluminum control arms would have probably cut weight quite a bit too, but it depends on the type of steel they used on the factory parts.

I'm sure some of the FI guys wish they added some weight in the transmission and gave us an overall stronger trans...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #50
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,560 Times in 18,948 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Within reason... I was responding to those who were saying that they can go much faster by taking a crap or working out a bit. Of course a whole nother body's worth of weight will make a difference.
On second read I can see that. Guess a little context woudn't hurt.

Edit: Yeah, no. You went way into detail basically saying it was worthless to reduce mass unless it was up high, at the ends, or unsprung. I'll stick with B.S. No offense.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:36 AM   #51
mig86

Drives: MY15 86 GTS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Stock wheels are made by Enkei already (well, the STI wheels are... I bet the normal ones are too as Enkei is an OEM supplier).

Driveshaft is what it needs to be for multiple reasons that I'm really not in the mood to get into. It's not a great place to cut weight.

Cast/forged aluminum control arms would have probably cut weight quite a bit too, but it depends on the type of steel they used on the factory parts.

I'm sure some of the FI guys wish they added some weight in the transmission and gave us an overall stronger trans...
Wheels are certainly good for OEM!
I put on RPF1's and don't think I saved much at all.
mig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:21 AM   #52
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
On second read I can see that. Guess a little context woudn't hurt.

Edit: Yeah, no. You went way into detail basically saying it was worthless to reduce mass unless it was up high, at the ends, or unsprung. I'll stick with B.S. No offense.
My point was that it is the least important area of weight as it the most centrally located and not a part of unsprung weight or rotational mass. I didn't say it didn't matter though. But to try to lose enough body mass for a performance gain is silly unless you are overweight/obese to begin with. Then by all means, try to lose weight as there are many benefits in life by doing that. But this thread was asking about how they could have designed the car to have less weight - so that does not include the driver or passengers as they are a variable the designers/manufacturers can't really control unless they refuse selling the car to anyone over a certain weight.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 AM   #53
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,560 Times in 18,948 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
My point was that it is the least important area of weight as it the most centrally located and not a part of unsprung weight or rotational mass. I didn't say it didn't matter though. But to try to lose enough body mass for a performance gain is silly unless you are overweight/obese to begin with. Then by all means, try to lose weight as there are many benefits in life by doing that. But this thread was asking about how they could have designed the car to have less weight - so that does not include the driver or passengers as they are a variable the designers/manufacturers can't really control unless they refuse selling the car to anyone over a certain weight.
I see your point and true, you never said it didn't matter. And my bringing in driver weight was off topic.

Points well taken. My interpretation and response was pretty coarse. Thanks for your patience - really.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #54
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Three test drives.

I did not say the car was disappointing. I love it. That's why I'm still here. The main thing that disappointed me was the power band and I am still somewhat concerned with reliability. If I buy a new car, I want to try to avoid the dealership at all costs. So I will get one eventually but for now I'm sticking with my Mitsubishis.

At least you've been around long enough to know me strat.
drives a mitsu... concerned with reliability..

yea, because being around "longer" than contributing "quality" is the name of the game right?
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #55
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
drives a mitsu... concerned with reliability..

yea, because being around "longer" than contributing "quality" is the name of the game right?
Between my wife and I we had 7 Mitsus over a 20 year period and other than my Talon (I consider it a Mitsu) that just died of old age we never once had to have one repaired. Not so much as a light bulb required work!
Bristecom (03-30-2015), Koa (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #56
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
You're probably not going to get lighter wheels from a factory on a car at this price point.
Since the wheel is part of the sprung weight of the suspension, it seems to me that changing the mass of the wheel+tire would require changing the factory springs (and their rate) also. Less mass in the wheels will result in a lack of full compression of the springs and I suspect that the ride will become rather stiff and paradoxically you could lose some control and contact with the road. Am I misunderstanding something here?