follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #15
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherboy6956 View Post
After doing some looking - I think i'll go Braille AGM - still much lighter than stock, but no potential Lithium issues and I don't have to get a different trickle charger for winter.

Plus, around $200 still isn't bad.

https://www.braillebattery.com/index...atteries/b2618

Just make sure you disconnect over the winter if not leaving on a charger. It will help keep it happy. My battery is smaller, but still leave it on a charger most of the time.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #16
Gopherboy6956

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Just make sure you disconnect over the winter if not leaving on a charger. It will help keep it happy. My battery is smaller, but still leave it on a charger most of the time.
For sure - even my basically dead ass one is on a trickle right now
Old 03-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #17
bee-jay

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WR Blue Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Went to hang the charger on last night for a top off charge, only to find battery is completely dead. Not even a dome light. So....
It was a choice between the Optima and Deka AGM. I've had good luck with the Optima in my Tundra. Got 7 years out of the first one.

Decided on the Deka intimidator AGM since we buy boat loads of batteries from Deka here at work and I can get a decent price.
Hope it works out ok and holds up as well as the Optima.

The batteries in these cars sure go dead fast when sitting.
bee-jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #18
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-jay View Post
Went to hang the charger on last night for a top off charge, only to find battery is completely dead. Not even a dome light. So....
It was a choice between the Optima and Deka AGM. I've had good luck with the Optima in my Tundra. Got 7 years out of the first one.

Decided on the Deka intimidator AGM since we buy boat loads of batteries from Deka here at work and I can get a decent price.
Hope it works out ok and holds up as well as the Optima.

The batteries in these cars sure go dead fast when sitting.
Optima moved their production facilities a while ago and started using recycled lead in their batteries almost 10 years ago. I got only a couple years out if the last two yellow tops on my truck, dead cell every time. I would pass on them. I been a big fan of Odessey and Northstar the last few years.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #19
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I know you already picked up a battery, but Odyssey batteries get my vote... made mistake getting Shorai before it and ended up being a dead $300+ paperweight from daily driving within a few months. Voltage is critical on the lithium batteries and you can't let them get below 13.7 volts if you value your battery... so you have to watch your voltage like a hawk and have them constantly on a charger. If you start your car a few times within a short time/travel distance and no charging in-between would not recommend using for a daily driver. Would only use for coming and going to work and not running ANY short errands while at work. Charging while at work would be highly recommended if need to use the car for errands during the workday.

The Nissan dealership 'killed' the less than 1 year old Odyssey battery in my Frontier which they had for 3 months waiting on a replacement part for failed brake system because apparently they don't disconnect the battery and used it without recharging, first and last time I ever take a vehicle to them. They drained it down to ~3 volts then had the nerve to say I needed a new battery for $130. Told them I didn't want their junk OEM battery. OEM battery is why I bought the Odyssey when I got the truck in the first place - crazy ammount of corrosion on the main cable, connections, and battery bracket from it offgassing.

Contacted Battery Mart, where I purchase batteries from, and asked them to do the Odyssey recovery procedure, which they agreed to though saying no garantee since it was way outside the warranty drain specification, and that return shipping would be on me if it was a dead battery. So I shipped off the battery to them and they performed the recovery procedure, brought the battery back to life, and stress tested it with very healthy results.

Battery functions as new with no noticeable change in its performance. I'm sure some life was taken off it due to the Nissan dealerships negligence, but as long as I get useful service out of it for ~ 5 years it will be well worth it. I bought the when it was on sale and with an additional %15 off... so it was ~$80 less than normal price...normally ~$280, got it for just under $200. Odyssey batteries will last a good 7+ years of extreme use though, and are rated at up to 10 years useful life... and have a 5 year warranty.

I use the PC680MJ in my FR-S... metal jacket because higher heat rating and about 1/2 the weight of stock battery.
NoHaveMSG (03-12-2019), why? (03-13-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #20
conehead

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Another vote for Odessey. Optima sold out and is junk now. Braille are super light, but my friends that use them on track cars get less than a year out of them and treat them like disposables.
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #21
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Any of these super lightweight batteries need to be on chargers as much as possible. And frankly if you sit them at work you should detach them so the don't drain. I'm surprised there isn't a prevalence of solar powered chargers for them, that you they can always be charging when the car is off.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #22
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Any of these super lightweight batteries need to be on chargers as much as possible. And frankly if you sit them at work you should detach them so the don't drain. I'm surprised there isn't a prevalence of solar powered chargers for them, that you they can always be charging when the car is off.

Good point. I wonder if anyone has gone this route. I may try it.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #23
conehead

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Good point. I wonder if anyone has gone this route. I may try it.

you can buy a little solar panel and charge controller at harbor freight for cheap.
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #24
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I just bought a Braille AGM - not lithium. So going with the traditional tech that's just 1/3 lighter.
I just went through the winter (a colder winter than previous years) in upstate NY with a Braille B3121 battery. There were no issues. It didn't need charging or anything different than stock battery. I will see how many years it will last. If it lasts more than 3 years, I am getting another.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #25
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey All - Quick question -

My OEM battery finally bit the dust (from my 2013) and it's time for a new one.

I track my car occasionally and am not opposed to getting a smaller / lighter one. I do store my car in the winter on a trickle charger, so very cold starts are not an issue.

IF I do go with an aftermarket, smaller/lighter batter - I want it to be almost a direct swap if possible.

Any recommendations over another OEM battery?

Thank you!

What's going on here??? There are some very striking yellow bits that must turn blue....
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #26
Gopherboy6956

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
What's going on here??? There are some very striking yellow bits that must turn blue....
lol what? The battery will be gone and the only part left yellow is the sticker on top of the radiator fill tube

What will really throw you off is the red Cam Sensor Covers, Alternator and water pump pulleys.