follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
candygram4mongo

Drives: 2015 FR-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post

Edit - what I don't like is how its completely illegal to replace headers with an aftermarket one .. if its shown to be just as effective as a CAT, then we should be able to install such an aftermarket CAT. I'd like to see tunes being a viable option as well, as long as the emissions is not worsened as well ... but that's for another day.
My gripe is that the current law seems to be more concerned about maintaining OEM market share than keeping the air clean. Clean is clean. If a modification can be proven not to increase tailpipe emissions, then it should be fine.

As it stands, if you invented a way to make you car burn pure evil and emit only rose petals, it is still illegal. If the goal is truly emissions, then that should be the test. I don't think people should have the right to dirty every else's air, but state government shouldn't have the power to blanket outlaw a person from modifying their own property if it doesn't infringe the rights of others. Just my $.02.

Last edited by candygram4mongo; 02-14-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: need to proofread.
candygram4mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Mufflers have nothing to do with emissions. There is no valid argument for cat removal here as that has never been a fix it ticket. The big issue here was cat backs only. And I think the issue with "discrimination" is muscle cars tend to not be cited for things like this, or motorcycles not having laws related to noise (afaik, might just never be enforced).

And if people haven't seen legislation has been brought forward to return it to a fix it ticket.

The real issue to me, and forgive me if I'm not 100% up to date on Cali laws, is none of these laws ever distinguish between a weekend toy and a daily driver. To that end, it is discrimination.

My weekend toy is loud and obnoxious, and probably pollutes a lot. It also gets driven less than 1,000 miles a year and has little to no environmental or noise pollution impact. Thankfully, my state has provisions for this kind of stuff but I'm also having to hide behind 25 year antique plates. If I wanted a brand new car like this, I'm risking a ticket.

My daily drivers would pass an emissions test (not required here) and make normal levels of noise. I can't stand people abusing this, especially the ones that cop an attitude because they feel entitled to the right to wake up the whole neighborhood at 4 am. They truly do ruin it for the rest of us but still I have a hard time respecting the rules when they could be written instead to only target the problem.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #17
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
The real issue to me, and forgive me if I'm not 100% up to date on Cali laws, is none of these laws ever distinguish between a weekend toy and a daily driver. To that end, it is discrimination.

My weekend toy is loud and obnoxious, and probably pollutes a lot. It also gets driven less than 1,000 miles a year and has little to no environmental or noise pollution impact. Thankfully, my state has provisions for this kind of stuff but I'm also having to hide behind 25 year antique plates. If I wanted a brand new car like this, I'm risking a ticket.

My daily drivers would pass an emissions test (not required here) and make normal levels of noise. I can't stand people abusing this, especially the ones that cop an attitude because they feel entitled to the right to wake up the whole neighborhood at 4 am. They truly do ruin it for the rest of us but still I have a hard time respecting the rules when they could be written instead to only target the problem.
Track cars that arent registered don't have to worry. But there is no real way to distinguish a "weekend toy" otherwise. Pollution is still pollution and if the goal is to get rid of it there is no point in exceptions. So many people in CA have a "weekend toy" or 2 that it still makes an impact. And anything 1972 or older is exempt. We dont have a rolling year thing unfortunately.

This law change is only related to the sound aspect of a catback only exhaust, which is an issue. People can bitch about cats and stuff if they want, but it is a federal law being broken when removed whether your state has a law or not.

And it would just get abused since so many ignor the current laws anyway

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 02-14-2019 at 04:03 PM.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #18
HachirocksU

Drives: Friggin Really Sweet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermk2 View Post
That's not true there are CARB legal headers out there. What you cannot do is remove converters or move them around on the system.

What carb legal headers do we have for this platform? I need this upgrade for NA route.
HachirocksU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #19
Thaeyo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachirocksU View Post
What carb legal headers do we have for this platform? I need this upgrade for NA route.
Absolutely none.
Thaeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:13 AM   #20
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by candygram4mongo View Post
My gripe is that the current law seems to be more concerned about maintaining OEM market share than keeping the air clean. Clean is clean. If a modification can be proven not to increase tailpipe emissions, then it should be fine.

As it stands, if you invented a way to make you car burn pure evil and emit only rose petals, it is still illegal. If the goal is truly emissions, then that should be the test. I don't think people should have the right to dirty every else's air, but state government shouldn't have the power to blanket outlaw a person from modifying their own property if it doesn't infringe the rights of others. Just my $.02.
As it stands, modifying anything outside of the tune and exhausts to your cats are legal*. Feel free to modify with catbacks and air filters. That's been the law for a long while now, and it still is. The new law did not change anything. Just no more loop hole. Nothing about maintaining OEM market shares. Same exhaust limitations.

Last edited by Bonburner; 02-15-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote