follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #15
CY86

Drives: they all have 4 wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Check Out Torqamp supercharger. about 3500$ shipped to the states, should provide about 6psi slowly dropping to about 3psi at redline. a little better then the phantom. but yes it is still overpriced for what it does imo. either needs another 2-3psi or 800$ off the price tag to become "mainstream"
It's definitely pricey. But it is a complete system including the batteries. I think it still needs seperate tuning program. They are making it in the Netherlands so I am assuming high costs of manufacturing.
CY86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
They certianly do work and looks like Ferrari might take it to the next level with this ... https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/fer...-of-the-future
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #17
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CY86 View Post
It's definitely pricey. But it is a complete system including the batteries. I think it still needs seperate tuning program. They are making it in the Netherlands so I am assuming high costs of manufacturing.
Yes it’s a nice complete clean looking package. But for the price I’d expect 7-8psi tapering to maybe 4-5psi redline. And yes you’ll need to add in some custom tuning. For 500$ more you can just JRSC. Maybe they’ll work on making a system with a bigger battery and faster discharge rate or something.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #18
CY86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Yes it’s a nice complete clean looking package. But for the price I’d expect 7-8psi tapering to maybe 4-5psi redline. And yes you’ll need to add in some custom tuning. For 500$ more you can just JRSC. Maybe they’ll work on making a system with a bigger battery and faster discharge rate or something.
Like I said, I really believe we are gonna see some cool developments with this technology, not just a bit more efficiency or cost effectiveness. The great thing I like about the e charger compared to other fi systems is that it doesn't affect gas mileage. In fact some have said that it improves it do to the efficiency.
Also, I think that to get those numbers will have to do with better efficiency in the system rather than more powerful motors. Cooler charges, better materials other than metal, or just figuring out ways to get a cooler charge. All really cool stuff!

Last edited by CY86; 11-02-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 11-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #19
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
A typical turbo compressor style electric charger is feasible, my comments were aimed at the Tesla design.

Yep, and my comments weren't aimed at you at all

I think the Tesla design works better on more dense fluids with less pressure differential between input and output.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #20
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Why would you get something that loses boost over time? Wouldn't you want to stack to boost on the max hp range of the motor?
Coming from a realistic angle on this, having a 10psi boosted frs, I can reliably tell you guys that you're just gonna end up chasing the boost. I don't mean to sound critical, but you're realistically just going to end up being unsatisfied and buying a real kit anyway.
I'm just trying to save you all some money.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:51 AM   #21
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I've had the Phantom ESC for over 4 years now and am totally satisfied with it. I don't really need any more boost for a DD. I gotta tell ya, it's a Major improvement over stock. Instead of a torque dip, you get a torque boost.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
CY86 (11-04-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #22
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post
I'd say if the Tesla turbine could be made to work you'd see it being used
If that was everyone's mentality we would never see any new inventions.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #23
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
At the horsepower input level required for an e-charger, it's probably more efficient to use a KERS to recharge it, at which point it would be more efficient to apply power back through that system instead of applying it to a FI component of a less efficient engine. I think a more useful application is to incorporate the electrics into a turbo so that it activates under certain conditions to spool the turbo to a preset RPM.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #24
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
Why would you get something that loses boost over time? Wouldn't you want to stack to boost on the max hp range of the motor?
Coming from a realistic angle on this, having a 10psi boosted frs, I can reliably tell you guys that you're just gonna end up chasing the boost. I don't mean to sound critical, but you're realistically just going to end up being unsatisfied and buying a real kit anyway.
less cost? ease of install? less engine strain? no parasitic loss so lower boost goes a longer ways. being able to control when/if boost is being applied to help with gas mileage.

Yes, the current options available are intriguing but like i said either need a slightly lower price point or slightly greater boost potential, at the moment a traditional turbo/supercharger does seem to be a better option.

But i think this thread was started to discuss the potential beneficial applications like using in conjunction with turbos to eliminate turbo lag, or what the systems could potentially be in 5-10 years with newer technologies.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
riboyster (11-03-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 03:05 AM   #25
CY86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam69 View Post
They certianly do work and looks like Ferrari might take it to the next level with this ... https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/fer...-of-the-future
it seems like my idea for driving an alternator from the exhaust manifold isn't so unique !

when i was reading over the older E-charger threads, it occurred to me that this method would totally overcome charging limitations.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:14 AM   #26
CY86

Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
personally i really don't care about boost at the high end as much as efficiency, handling,control and throttle response. I do a lot of mountain road driving, so to be able to drive through the corners while having fun is my personal goal.
I don't really think the gt86 has much to do with straight line high rpm performance. It's designed to be a great handling car, one of the few in this era. i think that is it's appeal to so many
Old 11-04-2018, 03:20 AM   #27
CY86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
If that was everyone's mentality we would never see any new inventions.
the guys at Cosworth have done tremendous work over thelast few decades. I personally fell in love with the old sierra saphire cozzy!

I think @Matt@Cosworth is not mocking the tesla design as much as not being familiar with it. and he does have a point. other than some zero point energy seekers spreading more disinfo about tesla's designs and concepts, Tesla's tech has never been given a fair shake in our modern time withthe progressions of technologies, and materials.

It's all fascinating stuff... at least, to me.

On a side note @Matt@Cosworth, if the old Cozzy GT86 ever comes up for sale, could you let me know mate? i ran into your old post too late.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:30 AM   #28
CY86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Yep, and my comments weren't aimed at you at all

I think the Tesla design works better on more dense fluids with less pressure differential between input and output.
how do you think it would respond if it was used to spin an alternator powered by the exhaust manifold?

i know they are pretty torqueless, but i am curious as to maybe some hybrid design? maybe a better geometric design as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to CY86 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-04-2018)

Tags
electric supercharger, forced induction, technology