follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #57
Pedro13

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James H View Post
Could be the last hurrah for Porsche and other super car manufacturers. Gen Y/Z are not interested in cars. They are not in a hurry to get their drivers license and do not find super cars appealing. Uber is what they want. Boomers with money who want to relive their youth is what is fuelling Porsche sales, especially the vintage ones.

And sadly most of the Gen Y/Z (and lots of Gen X's) looove the ugly/heavy SUV's CUV's fashion... Now days is not a surprise to see commercials of "Sport" cars like the "Ford Edge ST", "Nissan Qashqai", "Hyundai Kona", etc....this reminds me the time when Chrysler introduces the "Sport Gran Caravan".... I think Chrysler was ahead on time, if they have wait until now this caravan will be a total hit into the "sport car" category ....Is depressing see that.
Pedro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pedro13 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #58
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mid-life crises are awesome - it's an excuse to act like a child again
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #59
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Mid-life crises are awesome - it's an excuse to act like a child again
Hmm, maybe that's the problem, I never really stopped.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (06-20-2019), Hoahao (06-22-2019), korhun (06-20-2019), Lynxis (06-20-2019), Rampage (06-20-2019), WolfpackS2k (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #60
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro13 View Post
And sadly most of the Gen Y/Z (and lots of Gen X's) looove the ugly/heavy SUV's CUV's fashion... Now days is not a surprise to see commercials of "Sport" cars like the "Ford Edge ST", "Nissan Qashqai", "Hyundai Kona", etc....this reminds me the time when Chrysler introduces the "Sport Gran Caravan".... I think Chrysler was ahead on time, if they have wait until now this caravan will be a total hit into the "sport car" category ....Is depressing see that.
Let's not forget that CUV's might be ugly compared to sedan and sports cars, but as utility vehicles go, they are much better than the alternative. Most urban housewives of the past drove minivans and station wagons. How many of those do you see on the road these days? Most people want an all-around, practical vehicle that can do it all, so they don't need to own (and probably can't afford to own) multiple vehicles. SUVs/CUVs/Trucks all offer some sense of size/safety, a high seating position for viewing the road, an easier step in height and a more upright seating position, which can be more comfortable for large bellied Americans.
Lynxis (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #61
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
A lot of people complaining about the understeering nature of the original GT4 don't know that these cars come with adjustable swaybars from the factory and that simply changing the setting on the front bar will fix the problem.
There is no combination of aero or sway setting on the car that eliminates the static push nature of the GT4.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #62
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buteo View Post
Quite a bit of time in the gt4. Ive got the track record for a GT4 on street tires at High plains Raceway, 1:58. On a car with all the lightweight boxes ticked. Probably over 150 laps in a 2 years or so.

Never had the opportunity to drive the 600 on track. Have had one on a spirited run for about 20mins. The car is obviously much much quicker and a performer.

I’m not trying argue that a gt4 will outperform a a 600, but I’d argue a gt4 for a street car isn’t a fat pig, especially for its price point. And parts bin or not punch above it’s weight. The times I’ve posted around here say so. Spent some time in a 570 as well.
I'd love to see some laps, as I plan on heading out that way this year!

Lets use a few examples on the opposite extremes.

Do you think with equalized tires, you can lap HPR similarly in a supercharged 86?

Alternatively, I think you'd agree with me that while it's much heavier, a ZL1 1LE will easily lap faster than a GT4 around pretty much any racetrack, at a lower price point!

Ultimately, it comes down to the 718 GT4 is significantly heavier than the outgoing model, which is light relative to its competition, but not exceptionally light. It's a great "kinda does it all" car, but really, is undeserving of the Porsche GT designation. To me, the parts bin nature of the 981 was a great selling point, particularly the engine; they're proven, mature parts that won't fail under use.

On the plus side, I'm curious as to how useful the factory alignment range will be on the 718.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #63
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
There is no combination of aero or sway setting on the car that eliminates the static push nature of the GT4.
I wasn't aware of this, last I read was that a lot of the understeer could be dialed out with swaybar adjustments. Reading more recent forum posts and journalist articles, it seems that a little more work is needed to really dial it out, usually a combination of alignment and additional front tire or toe links. Thankfully it looks like nothing too serious is required anyways, the sorts of things that are basically nothing if you have GT4 money to begin with.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #64
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I wasn't aware of this, last I read was that a lot of the understeer could be dialed out with swaybar adjustments. Reading more recent forum posts and journalist articles, it seems that a little more work is needed to really dial it out, usually a combination of alignment and additional front tire or toe links. Thankfully it looks like nothing too serious is required anyways, the sorts of things that are basically nothing if you have GT4 money to begin with.
I would expect a GT4 to come with factory camber adjustment, but alas, it does not.... at least, not the 981
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #65
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Does it really not? Even my 987 Cayman came with front camber adjustment.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #66
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I would expect a GT4 to come with factory camber adjustment, but alas, it does not.... at least, not the 981
I guess you can just shim the control arms to get camber adjustment although I imagine that would be too janky a solution for most GT4 owners.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #67
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,250 Times in 676 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'd love to see some laps, as I plan on heading out that way this year!

Lets use a few examples on the opposite extremes.

Do you think with equalized tires, you can lap HPR similarly in a supercharged 86?

Alternatively, I think you'd agree with me that while it's much heavier, a ZL1 1LE will easily lap faster than a GT4 around pretty much any racetrack, at a lower price point!

Ultimately, it comes down to the 718 GT4 is significantly heavier than the outgoing model, which is light relative to its competition, but not exceptionally light. It's a great "kinda does it all" car, but really, is undeserving of the Porsche GT designation. To me, the parts bin nature of the 981 was a great selling point, particularly the engine; they're proven, mature parts that won't fail under use.

On the plus side, I'm curious as to how useful the factory alignment range will be on the 718.
Threadjack: Mike, Buteo lives a few blocks from me. Maybe if you come out next month you should spend an extra day or two and meet us for beers. I bet Abe would join us, too.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #68
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Threadjack: Mike, Buteo lives a few blocks from me. Maybe if you come out next month you should spend an extra day or two and meet us for beers. I bet Abe would join us, too.
Even better!
Old 06-20-2019, 11:15 PM   #69
MaverickMonk

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
A base car can blend in somewhat. A car with all the bling desperately screams look at me, ladies. Even if the message is unintended, people still receive it. This is why Miata is always the answer. Nobody looks at a guy in a Miata and says, "He's got something to prove."

You can buy a car for yourself, of course, but it's still an issue. I mean, a lot of us look at Mustang GT drivers and LOL.
I have trouble dissociating Miatas from the the bean counter “min-max everything” group. The Miata guys at work are the ones who will tell you in detail about how much money they saved vs (x), and go for a paragraph before even mentioning enjoying the cars . They always seem one bad day away from their thin veneer of “not boring” and “happiness” cracking.

I’m actually looking for maybe a cheap convertible for when I move somewhere sunny. And unfortunately NA Miata is the only answer that isn’t a terrible financial decision (986) or a death trap (MR-S). But between the fact that I’m uncomfortably similar to the group described above already, and the fact that it’s face looks like the time I accidentally left an upright 10mm sitting on my shop stool... idk if I can do it. I actually like cute curvy little cars but... man...
MaverickMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #70
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMonk View Post
I have trouble dissociating Miatas from the the bean counter “min-max everything” group. The Miata guys at work are the ones who will tell you in detail about how much money they saved vs (x), and go for a paragraph before even mentioning enjoying the cars . They always seem one bad day away from their thin veneer of “not boring” and “happiness” cracking.

I’m actually looking for maybe a cheap convertible for when I move somewhere sunny. And unfortunately NA Miata is the only answer that isn’t a terrible financial decision (986) or a death trap (MR-S). But between the fact that I’m uncomfortably similar to the group described above already, and the fact that it’s face looks like the time I accidentally left an upright 10mm sitting on my shop stool... idk if I can do it. I actually like cute curvy little cars but... man...
LOL. I can deal with the Miata looks and Miata people. I just can't deal with the Miata interior discomfort. Fiat has the tiny car fun nailed, though, with the 500e. Not the Fiata.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote