follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Dry carbon fiber maintenance?

How are you guys cleaning and maintaining any dry carbon you have??

I cannot find anything definitive that talks about this on google, everything is for treating wet carbon.

I've seen people use regular wax and detail products but the carbon seems to lose it's matte finish when doing this.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
grostoine

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Try matte product from chemical guys

they have scealent, quick detailler, foam, all for matte ...
grostoine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grostoine For This Useful Post:
tyrantcf (02-07-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would actually call chemical guys or a place like Seibon and see what they recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:00 AM   #4
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
I would actually call chemical guys or a place like Seibon and see what they recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I PMd/emailed Seibon and Password:JDM but haven't gotten a response yet.

I'll call them when I get my diffuser on Monday.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
xxatsayxx

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Any updates on this?
xxatsayxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
"Dry" carbon or "wet" carbon is only a matter of how the part was made, not it's surface finish. If the part has a matte finish, look for products that will maintain the desired finish. If it has a glossy finish, same idea. I'm not sure if there's differences in polish/protectant compatibility between polyester vs. epoxy based resins, but both can be polished to a high gloss if there's a thick enough skin of resin. Most glossy carbon parts are clear-coated one way or another, which can be very, very, VERY painstakingly difficult if the carbon part surface isn't perfect to begin with. Seibon sprays a clear gelcoat into the mold, then once it cures, lays carbon and fiberglass on it. The gel-coat can then be polished, but is still UV sensetive. Their resins are polyester (cheapest, but fast and easy to work with).

Either way, if the part is not super high gloss with a perfectly smooth finish, be careful with some products. Most bare/raw composite parts will have tiny voids in the surface where air gets trapped in the fabric (even under vacuum curing like the parts I make) and a cream type cleaner or protectant will likely get trapped in these micro voids and leave little white spots.

FYI:
"Dry" carbon is also known as prepreg, with the resin already embedded at the ideal ratio from the manufacturer. This resin is tacky like a sticker, and can get a little gummy when warm like a partially dry rubber cement. It needs to be kept frozen in a sealed bag, and requires vacuum and heat to liquify the resin flow and to cure properly. This is often confused with dry fabric, which has no resin yet. Prepregs are ideal for aerospace and high end composites, where strength, lightness and layer compaction are critical.
"Wet" carbon is a dry fabric or mat, and is then soaked with a liquid resin, making it wet enough to drip. Wet lay is by far the most common and most cost effective, but has a larger potential for defects and is not quite as strong as a prepreg. It can still be vacuum bagged to improve strength:weight, and some resin systems can be/need to be heat cured.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
8R6 (03-19-2015), DAEMANO (03-19-2015)