follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #29
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloretoc View Post
This seems to be the video of a test drive of the veloster...

If you look at the video you can see that it goes from 0 to 60 mph (0 to 100 kmh in the video) in 9 sec... I don't think that thing has 208 hp it looks more like 160 ish.

What do you guys think?
Quote:
information from hyundai's website

Displacement(Liter) 1.6
Horsepower @ rpm (estimated) 138 @ 6,300 rpm
Torque @ rpm (estimated) 123 lb.-ft. @ 4,850 rpm(Maximum)
Valve train 4-cylinder engine with Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT)

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2...fications.aspx

That is not the turbo version info.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #30
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Here you can see that the mule or whatever you want to call it is using a turbocharged engine.

Edit: funny video!

[u2b]MtVIUPscC9A[/u2b]
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #31
aloretoc

Drives: Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
That is not the turbo version info.
If the one in the video is the turbo version. It is still too slow for 208 hp and 2600 pounds.
aloretoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #32
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

That video of the acceleration definitely looks like the standard 138hp with the DCT.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #33
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
The turbocharged version is further off than the FRS, they don't have cockpit test drive videos yet.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #34
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral_Eyes View Post
Next to the ND Miata, this is my highest priority cross-shop for the FT-86. This goes the opposite direction from a performance car, but it seems to be quirky and fun enough to consider. I think that says a lot for Hyundai. FWD and a glass roof aren't going to please any purists, but I think it does a lot of things right. Only the test drive will tell for sure.
It certainly does a lot of things better than the other subcompacts, good power, 6spd, decent body design. Although it is within 50lbs of the CR-Z base model.

Quote:
information from hyundai's website

Displacement(Liter) 1.6
Horsepower @ rpm (estimated) 138 @ 6,300 rpm
Torque @ rpm (estimated) 123 lb.-ft. @ 4,850 rpm(Maximum)
Valve train 4-cylinder engine with Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT)

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2...fications.aspx
Respectable for the size to be sure.

Quote:
This seems to be the video of a test drive of the veloster...

If you look at the video you can see that it goes from 0 to 60 mph (0 to 100 kmh in the video) in 9 sec... I don't think that thing has 208 hp it looks more like 160 ish.

What do you guys think?
The engine sounds good to me. Obviously the straight line performance isn't great but the turbo model will improve that. I would like to test drive it to decide if I like the performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #35
On the Rise

Drives: Toyota
Hyundai has priced the Veloster

$17,300 to $18,550.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-veloster.html

"Veloster pricing will start at $17,300 for the six-speed model while the dual clutch version will carry a base price of $18,550. Both prices do not include a $760 destination charge.

Two option packages, both priced at $2,000, will be available on the 2012 Veloster. The Style Package upgrades the Veloster’s look and overall appeal with added features like 18-inch wheels, fog lights a a premium audio system. The Tech Package, which is only available in tandem with the Style Package, includes unique 18-inch wheels, automatic headlights and a navigation system."
1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #36
dookie11

Drives: Girls crazy with his booty
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Test drove the Veloster at this weekend's OC Auto Show in Anaheim. It's smooth, zippy, and has higher quality interior materials than any Scion. Back seat had plenty of space, and there's no shitty hump in the floor for your passengers to climb over. The 3rd door is pretty cool, and is ample enough for an adult who is shorter than 6ft. Trunk space is decent enough to fit groceries. The ride height is pretty nice for stock (it looks like a lowered car). The panoramic sunroof is really nice, because it's actually a roof, as opposed to a flimsy flip floppy piece of leather that you pull back. You actually press a button and the roof slides back, like in my Honda Prelude. The glass itself goes pretty far back too, so it's great for evening drives. The front doors have funny handles that are really useful for closing your door. Also, near your kneecaps is a handle, as opposed to what we're used to (the handle that you'd have to raise your arm to grasp.) The Style Package is the best bang for buck. Noone really needs backup cams/navigation/auto headlights/etc.

**This car is definitely my alternative to the FT/FRS/BRZ because the Scion lady said that it'll be around $25k + $2000 for tax/title/license/etc., which is too much for me. The Veloster will come out to be around 22ish OTD, I think.

Pretty cool car, for a Hyundai. They're stepping up their game, cuz all the cars I saw at the show (Sonata, Elantra, Genesis R Spec, and even the Tuscon looked really cool). Unlike the American car companies, Hyundai is copying the right designs lol.
dookie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #37
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie11 View Post
Test drove the Veloster at this weekend's OC Auto Show in Anaheim. It's smooth, zippy, and has higher quality interior materials than any Scion. Back seat had plenty of space, and there's no shitty hump in the floor for your passengers to climb over. The 3rd door is pretty cool, and is ample enough for an adult who is shorter than 6ft. Trunk space is decent enough to fit groceries. The ride height is pretty nice for stock (it looks like a lowered car). The panoramic sunroof is really nice, because it's actually a roof, as opposed to a flimsy flip floppy piece of leather that you pull back. You actually press a button and the roof slides back, like in my Honda Prelude. The glass itself goes pretty far back too, so it's great for evening drives. The front doors have funny handles that are really useful for closing your door. Also, near your kneecaps is a handle, as opposed to what we're used to (the handle that you'd have to raise your arm to grasp.) The Style Package is the best bang for buck. Noone really needs backup cams/navigation/auto headlights/etc.

**This car is definitely my alternative to the FT/FRS/BRZ because the Scion lady said that it'll be around $25k + $2000 for tax/title/license/etc., which is too much for me. The Veloster will come out to be around 22ish OTD, I think.

Pretty cool car, for a Hyundai. They're stepping up their game, cuz all the cars I saw at the show (Sonata, Elantra, Genesis R Spec, and even the Tuscon looked really cool). Unlike the American car companies, Hyundai is copying the right designs lol.
when i sat in the back i thought it was cramped. and the 3rd door is kinda small too. the worst part of the car is the stupid rear window. like the CR-Z its split and i cant imagine how annoying it would be to live with... that said, i cant wait to see what the turbo version will be like!
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #38
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Test drove one today. It was slow, of course, but the handling felt really good and there was plenty of feedback through the steering wheel. I liked it better than the CR-Z I test drove.

I didn't sit in the back seat. I should have tried, since I'm 6'3" and that would've been a good test to see how much room there is, but my two friends who are both under 6' fit back there just fine.

When the turbo model hits, it'll probably be at the top of my list if I go for a FWD car.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #39
dookie11

Drives: Girls crazy with his booty
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
when i sat in the back i thought it was cramped. and the 3rd door is kinda small too. the worst part of the car is the stupid rear window. like the CR-Z its split and i cant imagine how annoying it would be to live with... that said, i cant wait to see what the turbo version will be like!
Yah, I do agree that there are LOTS of blindspots...I'm used to looking to my sides when changing lanes, so that might be a problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
Test drove one today. It was slow, of course, but the handling felt really good and there was plenty of feedback through the steering wheel. I liked it better than the CR-Z I test drove.

I didn't sit in the back seat. I should have tried, since I'm 6'3" and that would've been a good test to see how much room there is, but my two friends who are both under 6' fit back there just fine.

When the turbo model hits, it'll probably be at the top of my list if I go for a FWD car.
How much more do you think the turbo one will cost?
dookie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #40
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie11 View Post
How much more do you think the turbo one will cost?
I would think they'd have to undercut the GTI/Cooper S by a bit, maybe $21k and change to start.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #41
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd guess 21 or 22, yeah, going up to around 24-25 fully loaded hopefully with HID, LED tails, style and tech packages. The NA model is 22 or 23 fully loaded without the lighting addons, so that seems like a good entry point.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #42
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/29/c...o-bow-at-sema/

damn this thing is looking a lotttt better now
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote