follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #127
mrspindlelegs

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
MTF2 has been discontinued. This one seemed to have the best feedback. Bummer.

When did this happen?
Fuel Economy - Best was 37.2 mpg, Worst was 28.2 mpg
mrspindlelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #128
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspindlelegs View Post
When did this happen?
Not sure exactly. I think in July. I also saw someone on this forum saying they picked up a bunch of it for $1/bottle or something crazy. Probably because it was discontinued. I have to do my throwout and the manual says to drain the fluid although I think I can plug it so it doesn't leak when I drop the prop. But I figured I would at least get some fluid in case. So I've been reading around about fluids and while doing that I saw discussion on a several bimmer forums about this product being dropped and to substitute with FFL-4. FFL-4 is made for double clutch trannies so I don't see how that could be a good substitute. You can still buy MTF2 on Amazon but I suspect it will not last long.

On past cars I've always run Honda MTF which is close to 75w-80 and GL-4. It has an additive to promote syncro grip. Some say it's hard on the syncros but I have about 300k with this fluid between two cars with no syncro problems. Both of these cars had brass syncros. Honda MTF is only $11/qt.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #129
kyoo

Drives: Evo IX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
There was a thread where a guy was extolling the virtues of the Redline fluid. I liked what he had to say and am waiting to hear from someone else.
got it. i personally run red line everything in the car, but wasn't sure if the trans was particular in any way, which it sounds like it is. 75w85 was basically created by red line for the Z cars and the evo 8/9's 6 speed trans, i imagine it will work fine here.
kyoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #130
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I never got to try the actual Redline MT-85, but I suspect it would be good. I was not quite happy with either the MT-90 (75W90) or MTL (at the time it was 70W80, but has since been changed to 75W80). I did run a blend of MTL and MT-90 for a season, and that was the closest I came to how Pentosin felt. That blend would have been very close in weight/viscosity to MT-85.
I don't have the car any more, but if I did, and couldn't get Pentosin, MT-85 would be the next thing I would try.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #131
mrspindlelegs

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Not sure exactly. I think in July. I also saw someone on this forum saying they picked up a bunch of it for $1/bottle or something crazy. Probably because it was discontinued. I have to do my throwout and the manual says to drain the fluid although I think I can plug it so it doesn't leak when I drop the prop. But I figured I would at least get some fluid in case. So I've been reading around about fluids and while doing that I saw discussion on a several bimmer forums about this product being dropped and to substitute with FFL-4. FFL-4 is made for double clutch trannies so I don't see how that could be a good substitute. You can still buy MTF2 on Amazon but I suspect it will not last long.

On past cars I've always run Honda MTF which is close to 75w-80 and GL-4. It has an additive to promote syncro grip. Some say it's hard on the syncros but I have about 300k with this fluid between two cars with no syncro problems. Both of these cars had brass syncros. Honda MTF is only $11/qt.

Thanks for tipping me off on the discontinuation; I immediately ran over to O'Reilly's last and had them locate several liters to give me a back-up stash for a few trans oil change cycles.
Fuel Economy - Best was 37.2 mpg, Worst was 28.2 mpg
mrspindlelegs is offline   Reply With Quote