follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2017, 12:07 AM   #1
Dragon780

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Which force induction and where to install?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you guys have any personal opinions with turbo kits.

i have been looking around but wanted to get some opinion from those whose already have it installed.

and mainly i want to know where is a good place to get it installed in Calgary and what price range am i looking at for having someone install it.

thanks in advance guys
Dragon780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:57 AM   #2
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
This question is way too broad. Gonna save you some time, as most members will just tell you to

The answers depend so much on what you are actually looking for. Budget, power, install ease, etc.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brayden_23 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You're going to have to specify your inquiry quite a bit more to get an answer with a hint of accuracy. Some kits require modifying or removal of the front crash beam and some don't. Some kits include mechanical oil pumps and some require swapping out the oil pan so that it has a return. Some kits consist of 20 or so components, others 50. Name a specific kit and the exact options as that can vary within the kit itself.
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amputechture For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
As far as good local shops just pop into the regional sub and ask there.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8256
Old 03-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
@go_a_way1

If you log in can you help this guy?
Old 03-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If only there was a dedicated section of the forum where all forced induction information could be pooled together in one place so people could make informed decisions about its application... I'll PM the mods about this tonight.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wootwoot For This Useful Post:
Amputechture (03-09-2017), Brayden_23 (03-09-2017), CxG (03-09-2017), jwvand02 (03-19-2017), nos145 (03-18-2017), ShawnP19 (03-17-2017), Tcoat (03-09-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 01:24 AM   #7
Dragon780

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
This question is way too broad. Gonna save you some time, as most members will just tell you to

The answers depend so much on what you are actually looking for. Budget, power, install ease, etc.

well, i dont have any preferred options at the moment.
so it is just general and board opinions im looking for to see which ones people already have and which ones are worth looking into.
cause no matter how much you search, you really dont know the product as better as the user itself, so its always better to get some first hand opinion.

i dont mind making mods to fit but i guess i would prefer not to take out crash bar or need to mod as much as possible.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #8
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon780 View Post
well, i dont have any preferred options at the moment.
so it is just general and board opinions im looking for to see which ones people already have and which ones are worth looking into.
cause no matter how much you search, you really dont know the product as better as the user itself, so its always better to get some first hand opinion.

i dont mind making mods to fit but i guess i would prefer not to take out crash bar or need to mod as much as possible.
Again, I'm going to recommend you narrow your options. Look in the forced inductions section on this forum for user experiences. There is pretty much a thread titled "XXX Owners Thread" where you can go for each option and see what power, issues, and whatever else comes with that option. If you had a more specific question like xxx supercharger vs yyy supercharger, we would be able to help more. There are just so many different options that you have to help us in order to give you a good sense of which way to go.

For superchargers, it seems the JSRC, Vortec, and Edelbrock/Harrop seem to win in popularity.

As for turbos, there is a thread somewhere in here that lists and compares a ton of them. There are good options in both the high-end and low-end of the price spectrum, but obviously you will get different options. Up to you to determine what you are looking for. SBD seems to be a reliable affordable turbo. As for the pricier options, I really like what I've seen out of the Ptuning kit. Again, this comes down to what you can afford, if you have preference for where the turbo mounts, what your ultimate power goals are, plus many other variables.

So again - keep searching the forums for information. Come back here when you have narrowed down to a few options at least so owners who have first-hand experience can actually help you.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
Again, I'm going to recommend you narrow your options. Look in the forced inductions section on this forum for user experiences. There is pretty much a thread titled "XXX Owners Thread" where you can go for each option and see what power, issues, and whatever else comes with that option. If you had a more specific question like xxx supercharger vs yyy supercharger, we would be able to help more. There are just so many different options that you have to help us in order to give you a good sense of which way to go.

For superchargers, it seems the JSRC, Vortec, and Edelbrock/Harrop seem to win in popularity.

As for turbos, there is a thread somewhere in here that lists and compares a ton of them. There are good options in both the high-end and low-end of the price spectrum, but obviously you will get different options. Up to you to determine what you are looking for. SBD seems to be a reliable affordable turbo. As for the pricier options, I really like what I've seen out of the Ptuning kit. Again, this comes down to what you can afford, if you have preference for where the turbo mounts, what your ultimate power goals are, plus many other variables.

So again - keep searching the forums for information. Come back here when you have narrowed down to a few options at least so owners who have first-hand experience can actually help you.
I don't think the XXX Owner's Thread is work-safe....

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Brayden_23 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
Tedderple

Drives: 2015 FRS Halo (White)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@Dragon780

I found Drift-Office's articles to be one of the most useful while going on my search.

They are located 20-30 mins south of Seattle.
I drive from Vancouver Canada and it takes me around 2.5-3 hours to get there.

But the service from Drift-Office is gold. Bob contributes a lot of info into this forum is closing in on his 300th tuned car.

Here are some articles he has written for forced induction:

Hexon: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83797
Edelbrock: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96323
Kraftwerks/JacksonRacing/Innovate(Sprintex)/Phantom ESC/Vortech: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61589

Just head over to his "threads started" page and check out all the info.
Not sure who the tuners are around your area, but many of us in BC go to him for tuning.
AVO Turbo with FlexFuel| Perrin 2.75" CAI(gone) | Now: Perrin 3" Catback | MXP Comp RS Catback(gone) | Magnaflow Catback(gone) | Gruppe-S UEL Headers (gone) | 18x7.5 TE37 on Firehawk Indy500 225/40/18 | Valenti Tail Lights | Drift-Office Tuned 220whp-350whp
Tedderple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #11
Dragon780

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedderple View Post
@Dragon780

I found Drift-Office's articles to be one of the most useful while going on my search.

They are located 20-30 mins south of Seattle.
I drive from Vancouver Canada and it takes me around 2.5-3 hours to get there.

But the service from Drift-Office is gold. Bob contributes a lot of info into this forum is closing in on his 300th tuned car.

Here are some articles he has written for forced induction:

Hexon: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83797
Edelbrock: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96323
Kraftwerks/JacksonRacing/Innovate(Sprintex)/Phantom ESC/Vortech: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61589

Just head over to his "threads started" page and check out all the info.
Not sure who the tuners are around your area, but many of us in BC go to him for tuning.
wow this is really good info, thank you so much. i will take a good look at this and maybe look into drift-office
Old 03-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #12
Elliott S

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
If I were you. I would grab the SBD 400x kit. Ive been running mine for 14k miles without a single hiccup. Making a safe 300 whp on 93 gas with plenty of room to go on E85. You CANNOT beat his customer service either or the continuous support/upgrades he makes to the platform.
Elliott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #13
jwvand02

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Anyone that's ever modified a car will tell you that you need to figure out what your goals and budget are before you bother trying to specify a solution. This is obviously your first time doing anything like this so I understand that's a difficult question to answer for you.

They're all worth buying and all of them are junk. Does that answer your question? Because that's about all anyone can say with what you've given us to go on. I can tell you that I really like my setup, but that's because I wanted a daily driveable car, didn't want to mess with anything that took more than a day to reverse back to stock, and have great E85 availability in my area. But what you want is possibly and even very likely different from that.
jwvand02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #14
Flosstradamus

Drives: 2014 Whiteout Scion FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott S View Post
If I were you. I would grab the SBD 400x kit. Ive been running mine for 14k miles without a single hiccup. Making a safe 300 whp on 93 gas with plenty of room to go on E85. You CANNOT beat his customer service either or the continuous support/upgrades he makes to the platform.
Did you just buy the kit or was more stuff needed ? I'm curious about his kit because its the cheapest I can find but it literally looks like the greddy kit
Flosstradamus is offline   Reply With Quote