follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:49 AM   #2311
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
Sound clip pls

Edit: NVM found it
Was it this one? Because this is the most recent.
[ame]http://youtu.be/9_QCk_kURcI[/ame]

Really need to stop being lazy and make one while driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to STV3 For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (12-09-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #2312
SCharged

Drives: asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
P0420 here too.. wasn't expecting this with this header, but hey, you gotta pay if you wanna play I guess.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:33 AM   #2313
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So... After 3500 miles, I got the P0420 code with my @FT-86 SpeedFactory header, I only have a catted FP, 2.5" Overpipe, drop in filter and manifold spacers.

I feel that my cat might actually be bad, as I've felt the car rather sluggish the past month. Feels slower than when I had the stock header on. And I don't know if this cat works differently than normal ones, but I did the temperature test a few days ago, and the exhaust side is colder than the intake, which is a clear indicator of a fautly cat. Intake side was reporting 360C while exhaust side was around 300C.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #2314
Sypher

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
So... After 3500 miles, I got the P0420 code with my @FT-86 SpeedFactory header, I only have a catted FP, 2.5" Overpipe, drop in filter and manifold spacers.

I feel that my cat might actually be bad, as I've felt the car rather sluggish the past month. Feels slower than when I had the stock header on. And I don't know if this cat works differently than normal ones, but I did the temperature test a few days ago, and the exhaust side is colder than the intake, which is a clear indicator of a fautly cat. Intake side was reporting 360C while exhaust side was around 300C.
is your catted front pipe the factory pipe or aftermarket?

i noticed huge AFR changes when i had a full exhaust with the Speedfactory header. my car managed to only throw the code a couple times over 12k+ miles but i know it had to do with the other exhaust mods combined with the header. I guarrentee your light is popping on because you have too many mods without a tune which is causing your AFR's to be out of tolerance. AFR's out of tolerance will cause your exhaust gasses to be wrong, either rich or lean, and will cause the faulty cat code to come on. Our stock tune doesn't like it when we start tacking on a bunch of mods.

FWIW i lost a freeway race to a friend with a muffler delete and catless front pipe while i had full exhaust. I later found out it was the AFR's making my car SLOWER. I now have a tune and the car rocks now with proper AFR's

Also if i'm reading your temperature discription correctly it sounds as if your cat is fine. exhaust is hottest when it leaves the heads and will begin to cool throughout the exhaust. while a cat does retain a ton of heat it isnt crazy to think the exhaust is cooling by the time it leaves the cat.

hope that helps
Old 12-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #2315
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post

i noticed huge AFR changes when i had a full exhaust with the Speedfactory header. my car managed to only throw the code a couple times over 12k+ miles but i know it had to do with the other exhaust mods combined with the header. I guarrentee your light is popping on because you have too many mods without a tune which is causing your AFR's to be out of tolerance. AFR's out of tolerance will cause your exhaust gasses to be wrong, either rich or lean, and will cause the faulty cat code to come on. Our stock tune doesn't like it when we start tacking on a bunch of mods.

FWIW i lost a freeway race to a friend with a muffler delete and catless front pipe while i had full exhaust. I later found out it was the AFR's making my car SLOWER. I now have a tune and the car rocks now with proper AFR's

Also if i'm reading your temperature discription correctly it sounds as if your cat is fine. exhaust is hottest when it leaves the heads and will begin to cool throughout the exhaust. while a cat does retain a ton of heat it isnt crazy to think the exhaust is cooling by the time it leaves the cat.

hope that helps
Great info. I haven't seen the CEL since that one time ~1k miles ago and I've been to stock tune and back to Stage 1... guess I won't worry too much if/when I see it again
Old 12-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #2316
Cartman

Quote:

hope that helps
The power loss started after a few weeks of running the OFT BPB UEL Stg 2 tune, I reverted it back to stock 2 weeks ago and have similar power surge feeling as when I had the tune, though not as noticeable.

And no, that's not how a cat works, a cat is supposed to run 100 to 150 degrees hotter on the outlet side than the inlet side, that's how you know your cat is working correctly. It's essentially an oven that cooks NOx

Anyways... I'm playing with the idea of just chopping off the cat and going catless

Last edited by Cartman; 12-19-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #2317
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
The power loss started after a few weeks of running the OFT BPB UEL Stg 2 tune, I reverted it back to stock 2 weeks ago and have similar power surge feeling as when I had the tune, though not as noticeable.

And no, that's not how a cat works, a cat is supposed to run 100 to 150 degrees hotter on the outlet side than the inlet side, that's how you know your cat is working correctly. It's essentially an oven that cooks NOx

Anyways... I'm playing with the idea of just chopping off the cat and going catless
Probably better to just sell it and get one uncatted and for others to begin with rather than cut it up to fix compromises.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #2318
Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Probably better to just sell it and get one uncatted and for others to begin with rather than cut it up to fix compromises.
If the cat is fucked... I can't really sell it, now can I...
Old 12-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #2319
STV3
Seņor Member

Quote:
Do you think that the OFT UEL stage 2 tune is the cause of your cat possibly going bad?

I just got my OFT in the mail last week and am using the same Stage 2 tune to rid of my p0420 CEL. I did notice a new burning smell after running the car hard that was never present before the tune.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #2320
Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
Do you think that the OFT UEL stage 2 tune is the cause of your cat possibly going bad?

I just got my OFT in the mail last week and am using the same Stage 2 tune to rid of my p0420 CEL. I did notice a new burning smell after running the car hard that was never present before the tune.

AFR with that tune runs a bit rich, I flashed that tune with BRZ edit on a dyno, tested it, and altered the mix with a tuner buddy of mine. IIRC mix was dropping to 11.4 AFR under WOT on my car, we altered it to where it only dropped to 11.96 AFR under WOT.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #2321
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
If the cat is fucked... I can't really sell it, now can I...
The cat has a 5yr warranty and rated for airflow at 5.XL of air when in use.

If the cat is bad it can be replaced under our warranty program, although a tune not made specifically for this header can definitely cause issues.

Please if you are running a tune with this header do not use a tune meant for a catless header. They are very different animals. Runner length, collector, and cat are all different. Running a tune not optimized for something as important as a header will definitely cause sluggishness and a slew of other issues.

Last edited by FT-86 SpeedFactory; 12-19-2014 at 04:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
Trettiosjuan (12-31-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #2322
Sypher

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

ok fair enough. but if you think it's a clogged you could do a vacuum test to see for sure. low vacuum would verify your analysis of a clogged cat.

also a clogged cat or any part of the exhaust for that matter typically results in a constant loss of power. doesnt really surge as you describe. I had an 89 camry with a clogged primary cat and it just didnt want to go. was slow as shit. after new cat it felt like it gained 50% more power.

Last edited by Sypher; 12-19-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: just saw your post on editing tune for AFR correction
Old 12-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #2323
Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
The cat has a 5yr warranty and rated for airflow at 5.XL of air when in use.

If the cat is bad it can be replaced under our warranty program, although a tune not made specifically for this header can definitely cause issues.

Please if you are running a tune with this header do not use a tune meant for a catless header. They are very different animals. Runner length, collector, and cat are all different. Running a tune not optimized for something as important as a header will definitely cause sluggishness and a slew of other issues.
I know about the warranty, shipping is what's making it not worth it, it'll be cheaper to cut my losses and cut the cat locally and install a straight pipe to it.

As far as the tune goes, like I stated on my previous post, we altered the fuel trims on the tune to something more acceptable for the header, and actually gained HP over the OFT.

Quote:
ok fair enough. but if you think it's a clogged you could do a vacuum test to see for sure. low vacuum would verify your analysis of a clogged cat.

also a clogged cat or any part of the exhaust for that matter typically results in a constant loss of power. doesnt really surge as you describe. I had an 89 camry with a clogged primary cat and it just didnt want to go. was slow as shit. after new cat it felt like it gained 50% more power.
I might have to try a vaccum test. Who know if it could be my stock catback causing issue.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #2324
STV3
Seņor Member

Quote:
AFR with that tune runs a bit rich, I flashed that tune with BRZ edit on a dyno, tested it, and altered the mix with a tuner buddy of mine. IIRC mix was dropping to 11.4 AFR under WOT on my car, we altered it to where it only dropped to 11.96 AFR under WOT.
Yeah I saw that on mine too but IDK how accurate the AFR reading is on the OFT seeing as its reading from the stock sensor. Do you have a wideband in your car? Im coming from a turbo car, so in that world 11.4 would be ok but I figured that was pretty rich for an N/A car.

Closed Thread

Tags
catted uel header, ft86speedfactory header, is my order ready yet?