follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #57
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
gains per dollar are actually quote good, when you consider:

- Ace + ecutek cable/dongle + license + tune

vs

- Other header + ecutek cable/dongle + license + tune.
I'd actually love to know and see how the Ace Header 350 (seeing how it's often crowned the king of header choices) compares to the Fujitsubo SuperEX EL Catted Exhaust Manifold (comes with the OP included too).
Old 02-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #58
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
I'd actually love to know and see how the Ace Header 350 (seeing how it's often crowned the king of header choices) compares to the Fujitsubo SuperEX EL Catted Exhaust Manifold (comes with the OP included too).
I would expect less gains if nothing else strictly because it still has a cat.

That said I have seen no dyno graphs from this header.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-23-2018), Hades (03-02-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #59
Jordan Silveira

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
I would expect less gains if nothing else strictly because it still has a cat.

That said I have seen no dyno graphs from this header.
Yeah I think that's a fair hypothesis. Granted I think it would be interesting to see how much the cat holds it back in comparison to ACE.

The reason I brought up this specific header is just due to price and the oh so popular ideal of "you get what you pay for". Granted I believe if you asked Fujitsubo, the SuperEX price of 2600 would speak more to their quality of work and materials insofar as weld points and keeping it relatively quiet.

Conversely, ACE would speak to their focus being all out performance (I assume of course).

Anyways, the only person I've seen dyno it is DSOmegaX and he had the SuperEX header/OP, Fujitsubo FP, Stock Midpipe, and STI Sports Muffler. I believe he was a couple ponies shy of 200 to the wheels.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #60
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Then why does an OTS tune on a stock car not get rid of the dip if that is the reason for it?

Pretty much stock car with OTS tunes. Still has dip.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47001
The dip was created delibaretely by factory tune and hardware. Not just with tune.

The blue line below is the torque curve of the "mother" engine. It is the FB20 engine which was used as a base to design our engine. My daily car has this engine and it has no torque dip at all. Do you see any dip in the curve? Do you think they could avoid the dip in the older engine and not in the newer?

nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Hades (03-02-2018), Irace86.2.0 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #61
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
The dip was created delibaretely by factory tune and hardware. Not just with tune.

The blue line below is the torque curve of the "mother" engine. It is the FB20 engine which was used as a base to design our engine. My daily car has this engine and it has no torque dip at all. Do you see any dip in the curve? Do you think they could avoid the dip in the older engine and not in the newer?

Showing me an FB20 is not apples to apples. I linked you some dyno's to stock FA20 with tune. Show me the same with no dip. And like what has already been shown, plenty of cars that have headers and a tune, still have a dip.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #62
Kordless

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Without dynoing the car, I love my ACE A/350 with Delicious Flex Fuel and tune. The car feels so much better than any other header and words above the stock header. I took off my Supercharger recently and I'm actually surprised how much power this car still has. Butt Dyno is satisfied. Numbers aren't everything, after all, did you buy a 86/BRZ based on the numbers? Thought so.
Kordless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kordless For This Useful Post:
Hades (03-02-2018), Jordan Silveira (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #63
Jordan Silveira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordless View Post
Without dynoing the car, I love my ACE A/350 with Delicious Flex Fuel and tune. The car feels so much better than any other header and words above the stock header. I took off my Supercharger recently and I'm actually surprised how much power this car still has. Butt Dyno is satisfied. Numbers aren't everything, after all, did you buy a 86/BRZ based on the numbers? Thought so.
Man I wish I could test drive your car. I'm dying to know what a tune from Delicious and headers from Ace or elsewhere would do to this car.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #64
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordless View Post
lol this statement implies you have driven an 86 configured with every other header on the market
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #65
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I wish there's a comparison between ACE 350 & 150. The latter yields more top end and less low end, but really by how much?
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #66
Code Monkey

Here is my virtual dyno. Don't look at the numbers which are obviously wrong (I had to select a 2014 BRZ and changed the final drive to 4.3) but just look at the hp and tq curves.
Attached Images

Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #67
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Here is my virtual dyno. Don't look at the numbers which are obviously wrong (I had to select a 2014 BRZ and changed the final drive to 4.3) but just look at the hp and tq curves.
How does it subjectively feel?
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
justinco (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #68
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
How does it subjectively feel?
Light, quick, and peppy. Step on the throttle anywhere over 2500 rpms and it just starts pulling. I should be able to take hairpins at COTA in 3rd gear now.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #69
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Then why does an OTS tune on a stock car not get rid of the dip if that is the reason for it?

Pretty much stock car with OTS tunes. Still has dip.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47001
If my theory from earlier holds any water then the reason why a tune can't fix the dip alone is because the motor will try to avoid knock regardless of the basic parameters set by the tune, and knock may be problematic on some high compression NA motors at low rpms where slow exhaust speeds increase combustion chamber temperatures from residual exhaust gases.

If my theory is true then trying to hard tune out the dip without a header could be dangerous or increase the chance of engine knock.

Quote:
Showing me an FB20 is not apples to apples. I linked you some dyno's to stock FA20 with tune. Show me the same with no dip. And like what has already been shown, plenty of cars that have headers and a tune, still have a dip.
The FB20 is a stroked FA20 (minus port injection). The FB20 has a lower compression, so it would make a good apples to apples comparison for comparing the effects of compression ratio on low end torque (to demonstrate my theory true or false), but it isn't a good apples to apples comparison because the engine is undersquare (longer stroke and smaller piston diameter than our square setup). Usually a stroked motor will have more low end torque, so any dip alleviation from not being as high compressed could just as likely be from being stroked. Thus, I agree with you that the FB20 isn't an apples to apples comparison for my theory or for his theory.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #70
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
If my theory from earlier holds any water then the reason why a tune can't fix the dip alone is because the motor will try to avoid knock regardless of the basic parameters set by the tune, and knock may be problematic on some high compression NA motors at low rpms where slow exhaust speeds increase combustion chamber temperatures from residual exhaust gases.

If my theory is true then trying to hard tune out the dip without a header could be dangerous or increase the chance of engine knock.

The FB20 is a stroked FA20 (minus port injection). The FB20 has a lower compression, so it would make a good apples to apples comparison for comparing the effects of compression ratio on low end torque (to demonstrate my theory true or false), but it isn't a good apples to apples comparison because the engine is undersquare (longer stroke and smaller piston diameter than our square setup). Usually a stroked motor will have more low end torque, so any dip alleviation from not being as high compressed could just as likely be from being stroked. Thus, I agree with you that the FB20 isn't an apples to apples comparison for my theory or for his theory.
It doesn't.

A stock FA20 tuned on Motec, still exhibits the dip.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Hades (03-02-2018), Harey (02-23-2018), NoHaveMSG (02-23-2018)