follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #29
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear View Post
Its not an "issue" thread... Its a "can the tune bend rods"

I was told by the tunner they pull timing to cut power to prevent rods from bending...
As I've pointed out in other threads, this is an appropriate approach to mitigate risk of damage. Even if the engine doesn't really knock (due to E85 or race fuel), the more you advance the timing the higher the peak combustion pressure. That stresses the hell out of everything including the rods.

You don't have to knock the engine to stress the crap out of it. You don't even have to advanced spark past MBT to exceed the peak firing pressures it was designed for. Lots of airflow from the turbo combined with retarded spark is a less efficient way to make power but it keeps combustion pressure down.
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #30
woode
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to woode
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
Also it's important to note that how you use the car is a very important factor. The guys driving around at 400+whp (myself included) aren't tracking their cars on that boost, at least most of them aren't . It's one thing to have a few maps, drive around daily at 10psi and kick it up to 18 for the occasional highway pull. Actually tracking the car for 20-30 minute sessions at any boost level is a lot more dangerous. My good friend blew a basically stock, untuned engine at the Dragon just driving hard. It happens, and it has as much to do with how it's used as with how it's tuned, though those are the two big factors. The best you can do is just make sure the tune is safe, and not turn up the boost unless you have the cash on hand to fix what may (or may not) come of it.
Most important part.

I am going on 8000 miles / 6 months of over 400hp / 20psi on completely stock internals and I am problem free. The car sees at least 16psi every single day multiple times. There's no knock, but the heat generated from the timing and boost to keep knock away would eat my engine up if I tracked it I am sure.

But, like jamesm said - I don't track my car (yet.. working on building an engine to handle that)
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX PRM SSM
woode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #31
Fear
Banned

Drives: Ft86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Those of you that have been above 400 for a while, do you have dyno graphs of your current tunes?

I'd be interested to see if your power comes on slow or if it hits hard and fast..
Fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #32
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
Because of posts like (promoting tuners) that I was sent home as completely tuned and said to make 299whp while the next day log showed knocking everywhere. And I won't take the usual BS "it's the car problem" because I dropped in a well woking NA and expected to get a well working FI car, so whether it's a mechanical or software it should have been addressed. To this day I still have a shitty tune now though it seems overly concervative as my car feels slower than NA until over 5k rpm.
I strongly suggest anyone who gets a tune do their own logging.
People can only speak from experience. I have had experience with 3 different tuners and from these 3 I know which one worked out the best for me. That is the tuner I will recommend.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #33
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Of course I would only recommend someone I have personal experience with and even then it doesn't work out for everyone. Everyone should also learn how to datalog and know what to look out for, it's really not difficult at all with the tools we have available for the car.

I've seen people get turbos put on and tuned and they don't even have a boost gauge...
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #34
Ross

Drives: 85 corolla gts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Get a wide band, hook it up to the ecu, verify its output and make a custom map for logging it at minimu. Force induction should require a wide band.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote