follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2014, 02:32 AM   #99
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
Please understand, I don't plan on selling the car anytime soon, but DAMN, this car's value is falling like a freaking rock! Absolutely LOVE this car, but with all the "special editions" coming out (which from what I can tell, it basically a BRZ version with an FRS front end), I'm starting to get the impression that none of them will be worth much money in the next couple years. I plan on holding onto mine until I can't keep her anymore (baby) or the 10 year mark, when it is time to pick up something else. At the same time, I'm concerned about this car turning into another honda civic. It's gonna suck if I can't get more than $5k for it when I sell it. I guess only time will tell, but with the way this thing is falling in price, I'm voting that the 13's will be worth about $15k in a year
You realize you bought a CAR, right? They do this thing called depreciation, the worst of which is during the first few years of its life. Especially when it rolls off the lot, it looses thousands in value right then.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 AM   #100
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
You realize you bought a CAR, right? They do this thing called depreciation, the worst of which is during the first few years of its life. Especially when it rolls off the lot, it looses thousands in value right then.

Perhaps you should read the rest of the thread and not just the first post
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:12 AM   #101
LXXXV1

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram, Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
If the "limited" market keeps on going the way it is now, having a new one released every six months, my vote is that if any of these cars are going to be sought after in 20 years, it's going to be the base model hot lava FRS's (most people don't care for the color)
Totally agree. My Prelude was electron blue pearl...and boy was it rare/easy to sell. Also makes it a pita to own bc you can't find shit in your color! Had compliments about my paint job even though it was 11 year old OEM paint with 180k miles worth of dings/scuffs.

Also agree that "untouched" will have better demand than heavily modded. But I do notice that the OEM+ style sells just as well as untouched, if not better, as OEM+ is meant to enhance the original car and should be easily revertible. And there are PLENTY of OEM+ aftermarket parts for us. Fog lights, side markers, beatsonic fin, 5AD spoiler, 1" drop, REALLY compliments this car imo and does not necessarily mod the car in any obnoxious way. If anyone thinks the orange side markers enhance the FR-S...I don't even know where to begin. Maybe it goes well with the lava, but gtfo if you think it goes well on a whiteout.

But I did buy a lot of useless shit though lol. My first "real" mod on my FR-S was a broadway mirror. Absolutely no need for a "frameless" mirror, heated side mirrors, spoiler, trunk mat and rear leather armrest (lmao at Scion for the last 3). Leather seats and dual climates are eh...nice to have, but still a waste considering it's not ALL leather (suck it alcantara) and dual is only useful when my gf is in the car.

But I really wanted the push to start/keyless features and a GPS. Yea, you can pay someone to install all that but it will never be "OEM" fit/functional unless you went through the dealership, which, from what I read, Scion doesn't even offer as an add-on. I don't see it as paying $3000 extra for all the useless stuff. I paid $3000 more for the push to start with OEM fitment/operation (fitment/operation is very important to OEM+ imo, which is what I'm going for), GPS, "limited" version, and to say I drive a new, top trim car for the rest of the year lol. Good thing I was one of the first to get mine! 2-12-14!

Same reason why everyone buys iPhones even when they know the next one will be out in a year. You have to pay the premium to have the newest, and there will always be newer.

Lol sorry for side tracking btw, I just get carried away as I really enjoy these types of conversations.

2007 Honda CBR600RR-Pearl White/Silver - Totaled
2014 Scion FR-S Monogram-Whiteout - #LXXXV1 (build)
φφκα
LXXXV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #102
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
You're going to take a hit anytime you sell a car with mods. It is definitely better to part it out than try and add OEM+ mods in hope of getting a higher selling price.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #103
Mooseknuckle44

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
lol, this car has taught me to only buy used This is my first and last new car. You are a wise one, my friend.
I'm 31 and I've said this.....3 times now. There is good and bad with buying brand new.
Good- warranty, you know the history, shiny, less chance of severe mechanical issues(warranty again), bragging(if you're into that kinda thing), better loan APR.

Bad- price, quick loss of value, insurance typically higher, payment forever it seems.

I've bought brand new a '10 GTO, '12 Dodge Ram, and now the 13 FRS.

I loved the preveious two ridiculously. Really miss them and wish I didn't have to lose them. Lost the GTO cause I got laid off, lost the Ram due to new expenses.
I can honestly say I'm gonna do everything I can to keep the 86 as long as I can. It's my toy, my pleasure, my bragging, and MY fun.

No amount of depreciation can ruin that for me. I get that value back in pure pleasure.

But you're absolutely right, buying new is not very smart as far as value goes.
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #104
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
You don't by a new car for value when you trade it in.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 05-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #105
Bonner

Drives: 2014 FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Mao View Post
bah screw the resale value I didnt buy the FR-S to trade it or resell it years from now and even if there was a better car in the future (which there always will be) I'd probably reach that age where it doesnt matter anymore (I dont wanna be those guys in their late 50's early 60s and ends up with a vette or fancy sports car) I am happy with this car mod it drive and smile then years from now drive a family car and have this in the garage for the weekend car

But then, I'm one of those guys, late 60's, and I drive mine every day and having the time of my life...
Bonner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonner For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #106
suaveflooder

Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle44 View Post
I'm 31 and I've said this.....3 times now. There is good and bad with buying brand new.
Good- warranty, you know the history, shiny, less chance of severe mechanical issues(warranty again), bragging(if you're into that kinda thing), better loan APR.

Bad- price, quick loss of value, insurance typically higher, payment forever it seems.

I've bought brand new a '10 GTO, '12 Dodge Ram, and now the 13 FRS.

I loved the preveious two ridiculously. Really miss them and wish I didn't have to lose them. Lost the GTO cause I got laid off, lost the Ram due to new expenses.
I can honestly say I'm gonna do everything I can to keep the 86 as long as I can. It's my toy, my pleasure, my bragging, and MY fun.

No amount of depreciation can ruin that for me. I get that value back in pure pleasure.

But you're absolutely right, buying new is not very smart as far as value goes.
I agree with you! Unfortunately, you have found out the hard way about buying new, having to lose a car when you lost your job.

This was a good lesson for me. Thankfully, I will be able to keep it, and other than my wife getting pregnant this month, there is no real risk of me losing the car.

Going back to @SirBrass's original post, I expected to loose the typical $5k the first year, most of it by driving off the lot, but loosing close to $9k was not expected for me. Realistically, if I tried to sell my car today, I could probably only get high teens, which since I'm not selling my car anytime soon, isn't too bad. Like I mentioned before, I HATE being flipped on something, even when I have gap insurance.

Warning to those looking to buy, expect this to be a car you own for awhile so you can get your fun out of it, or buy used

Last edited by suaveflooder; 05-01-2014 at 01:50 PM.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
italy7 (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #107
LXXXV1

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram, Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post
You're going to take a hit anytime you sell a car with mods. It is definitely better to part it out than try and add OEM+ mods in hope of getting a higher selling price.
Agree again. That's why any real OEM+ person hoards all their OEM parts. My floor mats are neatly packaged in my weathertech pacakaging and hold roughly 40 miles of use on them. My OEM exhaust is neatly wrapped in my garage. My side markers are neatly packaged exactly the way my clear ones came. My antenna/scion badges are wrapped in my FR-S file cabinet.

I don't forsee OEM+ parts being a hard sell at any time. You will ALWAYS take a loss anytime you sell anything for that matter. So the mentality I have when buying parts for my car is "rent" it and sell it for slightly cheaper later considering I take really good care of my cars.

FYI a hood bra for a 11+ year old 5th gen Honda Prelude goes for $300 right now. CLEAN OEM floor mats go for $150. A OEM shift knob, roughly $50. OEM side skirts in any condition? IMPOSSIBLE to find in ANY color/condition. They sell headlight covers for this car and those are also impossible as hell to find and are HUGELY sought after. Keep in mind these are the highest I've ever seen them and this was around March. This is what I mean by WE need to turn this car into a cult car.

2007 Honda CBR600RR-Pearl White/Silver - Totaled
2014 Scion FR-S Monogram-Whiteout - #LXXXV1 (build)
φφκα
LXXXV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #108
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
First 86 cars were numbered.

I think one sold about a year ago, I don't think it commanded any significant difference from a standard car.
Actually the First 86 cars aren't numbered. Some of the "bling" we received is numbered (I received #3 of 86) but it doesn't mean anything. I wasn't the third one selected, or the third one delivered.

It's even possible that someone who bought the car after the First 86 got theirs has an earlier serial number because the 1st86 were not all built first, they were just pulled from the production run based on the winner's color and transmission preferences.

We do have a console and glovebox plaque that indicates its a 1st86 car, but they all say "1 of 86". The 1st86 group decided to have it done that way during our Long Beach trip.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #109
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
I agree with you! Unfortunately, you have found out the hard way about buying new, having to loose a car when you lost your job.

This was a good lesson for me. Thankfully, I will be able to keep it, and other than my wife getting pregnant this month, there is no real risk of me loosing the car.

Going back to @SirBrass's original post, I expected to loose the typical $5k the first year, most of it by driving off the lot, but loosing close to $9k was not expected for me. Realistically, if I tried to sell my car today, I could probably only get high teens, which since I'm not selling my car anytime soon, isn't too bad. Like I mentioned before, I HATE being flipped on something, even when I have gap insurance.

Warning to those looking to buy, expect this to be a car you own for awhile so you can get your fun out of it, or buy used
No, you loose $5k by going off the lot, and another $5k by having it a year, loss of $10k.

I had a 2013 STI. $35k. When I traded it in clean in 7 months they only gave me $26k. That's a total of $9k lost. There was depreciation by driving it off the lot, and more depreciation for owning it for a period of time.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #110
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Could we please start spelling correctly? I'm going to "loose" my mind.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (05-03-2014), Abraxus (05-02-2014), AznBRZer (05-01-2014), chas3wba0 (05-02-2014), DeeezNuuuts83 (05-01-2014), EastBayCanuck (05-02-2014), eddieEndo (05-01-2014), FRSupra (05-01-2014), juliog (05-01-2014), Lonewolf (05-03-2014), Mad1723 (05-02-2014), Mooseknuckle44 (05-01-2014), Pseud0logik (05-02-2014), stock (05-01-2014), suaveflooder (05-01-2014), tyrantcf (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #111
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Could we please start spelling correctly? I'm going to "loose" my mind.
Try the grammar forums if you're so concerned about spelling..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
eddieEndo (05-01-2014), hmong337 (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #112
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
No, you loose $5k by going off the lot, and another $5k by having it a year, loss of $10k.

I had a 2013 STI. $35k. When I traded it in clean in 7 months they only gave me $26k. That's a total of $9k lost. There was depreciation by driving it off the lot, and more depreciation for owning it for a period of time.
Yeah depreciation on a first year car is brutal. If you ever read Edmunds long-term tests, they calculate depreciation for each car after ~1y/20k miles. It's typically between 15-25%.

For a $25k car, you're looking at $3750 - 6250 in the first year alone. Depreciation usually slows a little in the second year, and tailors off a bit more each year after that.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-01-2014), strat61caster (05-01-2014)