follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Partial Stall

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just got pulled over

I was cruising down university street doing 27 (25 mph speed limit). I came to a stop light at the end of the road where I obviously stopped for about 30 seconds. When the light turned green I felt this overwhelming urge to accelerate pretty hard and take a 90 degree turn. Of course the BRZ just sticks to the road without a meep.

100 feet down the road a sargeant pulls me over. Said I was taking the corner "too fast" even though I was below speed limit. I was very polite to the guy, "Yes, sir...thank you, sir" and he let me off with a warning.

While he was processing my info I couldn't help but to think to myself, "Ben, why did you have to get this car. You know you can't help but to drive spiritedly."

I just hope I'm able to keep myself in check in town and leave the spirit for track days and auto x. It's hard...oh so hard....
Partial Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
Z_Rocks

Drives: Import
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Stall View Post
I was cruising down university street doing 27 (25 mph speed limit). I came to a stop light at the end of the road where I obviously stopped for about 30 seconds. When the light turned green I felt this overwhelming urge to accelerate pretty hard and take a 90 degree turn. Of course the BRZ just sticks to the road without a meep.

100 feet down the road a sargeant pulls me over. Said I was taking the corner "too fast" even though I was below speed limit. I was very polite to the guy, "Yes, sir...thank you, sir" and he let me off with a warning.

While he was processing my info I couldn't help but to think to myself, "Ben, why did you have to get this car. You know you can't help but to drive spiritedly."

I just hope I'm able to keep myself in check in town and leave the spirit for track days and auto x. It's hard...oh so hard....
For someone who has been driven Evo X, how does the power/weight ratio feels on BRZ compared to EVO?
Same question on the cornering compared to Evo?

Thanks!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Cops are dumb. I got pulled over once for "failing to yield" at an intersection at 2am when there was no traffic. I lifted off the gas and engine braked through the intersection cautiously, but because the dummy didn't see any brake lights, he assumed I just blew through it, not like there was anyone there to yield to

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
serith

Drives: 2009 Scion tC RS 5.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
lucky.

i got pulled a couple of weeks ago for doing 80 in a 65 by a trooper. didn't even ask me any questions, just gave me the ticket. thankfully a friend at work recommended a good lawyer and i got off with "inadequate muffler". sure beats the otherwise 4pt moving-violation ticket & $300 fine. get to keep my clean driving record and super-low insurance rates
09 RS 5.0 -- #862 of 2000 -- 5spd
serith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Partial Stall

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
For someone who has been driven Evo X, how does the power/weight ratio feels on BRZ compared to EVO?
Same question on the cornering compared to Evo?

Thanks!
Theres alot to compare between the two cars, and I could go off talking about the differences forever, but....

Turning in with the BRZ is much better and more precise. I can whip the BRZ's front end into almost anything and it doesn't really complain. The steering I also like better in the BRZ. It's a bit more stiff and responsive.

Cornering feels better in the BRZ. It just more fun, albiet I'm pretty sure the EVO can take corners faster because of it's huge grip. Since the BRZ is lightwieght and RWD, the dynamics of cornering compared to the evo is pretty cool. In the BRZ I feel like im in some kind of high speed shuttle from star trek going through corners. Very quick, and planted experience. The evo has more body roll and the front end is heavier.

Power...well we know which has more, but the Turbo in the evo spins up at about 3k and becomes nasty at 3.5k with mounds of torque available. N/A of the BRZ is constant and I firmly believe the BRZ will beat the stock EVO off the line for about 3 seconds...then its all over the for the BRZ

I hated the evo in first gear. It was a total dog trying to launch correctly.
Partial Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Partial Stall For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure if I approve this thread..
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
YankBoffin

Drives: BRZ, WR Blue, Premium Trim
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Stall View Post
In the BRZ I feel like im in some kind of high speed shuttle from star trek going through corners.
Ha! This might be my favorite ever description of the BRZ's handling.

/Damn, I can't wait to drive one.
YankBoffin is offline   Reply With Quote