follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 09-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #48315
echo419

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,879 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
While I can appreciate the sentiment of "a hit dog will holler," and not liking picking up someone else's slack, no. Passive-aggressive notes to individuals isn't how that should have been handled. While there appears to be a consensus that the person is "sick" as opposed to actual sick, they could have something serious going on that isn't visibly apparent. Think early cancer diagnosis. If that were the case, then whoever wrote the note just made a huge jackass out of themselves involving someone who is already going through a lot.

If there is an attendance problem, then there is a decent chance HR is already looking into it. If someone else's poor attendance is causing you extra work, go through the proper channels to complain. Leaving a note has the potential of being a huge **** move regarding a situation you don't fully understand. In general, try not to be a ****, and don't make assumptions about such things.
I think we're starting to do a lot of spectulating and making it out to be a bigger deal than it really is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I am in the PTO camp personally. Just give people X amount of days. Who cares if they have the flu or just need a mental health day or they just feel like they need to play video games on a Tue.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
that's how my company does it. I'm ok with it I just wish we got more days for it. if I get sick bad enough after a vacation I could miss out on some money. on the flip side if I got sick before a vacation I booked and couldn't get my money back I'd get screwed out of a lot of cash.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echo419 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-14-2018), p1l0t (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #48316
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo419 View Post
that's how my company does it. I'm ok with it I just wish we got more days for it. if I get sick bad enough after a vacation I could miss out on some money. on the flip side if I got sick before a vacation I booked and couldn't get my money back I'd get screwed out of a lot of cash.

That's always the risk. My company does have what they call "Extended Illness Benefits" (EIB) that kick in automatically if you have been out sick for more than 32 hours. That is a separate "bucket" that gets added to each year to a max number of hours. You use PTO for the first 32, then EIB kicks in, but it requires a confirmation note from a medical professional.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #48317
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
We technically have sick days and vacation days (which require approval). But as a pilot all you have to do is say the f-word (fatigued) and they can't really say anything because you aren't fit to fly even tired. I hardly ever use my sick days though they are almost always maxed out. If the weather is shitty and it's a holiday and someone calls out everybody wants to kill them, even if they are legit sick. Of course this makes some guys come in sick when they should have called out and then the next week EVERYONE calls out sick because we all fly the same airplanes and only like 2 guys are anal enough to wipe down everything with antiseptic wipes.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #48318
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I think we're starting to do a lot of spectulating and making it out to be a bigger deal than it really is.
That's pretty much my point, just in favor of the person who received the note. Pretty much just don't do it, because there are possibly factors other people don't know about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-14-2018), Tcoat (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #48319
echo419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Didn't say it wasn't a problem, just not relevant to whether or not the note was appropriate. The note was not appropriate. Even in jest it creates a potentially hostile work environment, particularly done anonymously. I had something similar happen once, and the person receiving the note took it as a threat, even not meant that way, got ugly fast. We had to do an entire investigation including security and other such things because it became an issue.
if someone saw that note as a threat I'd be afraid they'd end up suing over the bathrooms being labeled "Men" and "Women".

Quote:
If the recipient went to HR they obviously did not think it was a joke so the humor is lost. It's almost like laughing at a person who gets bullied.
of course they didn't think it was a joke and if I was a slacker that wasn't working like I should I wouldn't take it as a joke either. I just hate the word "bullied" what are we 10 year old kids that can handle life?

Quote:
Now, so we are clear, I'm about as far as you can get from "politically correct" or "progressive", whatever the word is today. Still, some things can't be tolerated if you want to maintain some semblance of a good productive work environment. I joke around with my team all the time and we even do some level of pranking, but that is not what this was, it was just mean spirited and passive agressive, at least a face value.
everyone I've talked to there thinks it's a great place to work.

Quote:
Just a differing of opinion in the end. I'm guessing you've not had to deal with the aftermath of something like this going "wrong".
most of my work exp in the last 10-is years has been in the restaurant business as an part owner/operator managing mostly 20-something year old girls and my day job as a PM for a large commercial interior contractor so I can't say I've ever had someone get upset over a note regarding their slacking at work.

Quote:
Regardless, I've said my peace on it. I'll just agree to disagree.
fair enough

Quote:
That's always the risk. My company does have what they call "Extended Illness Benefits" (EIB) that kick in automatically if you have been out sick for more than 32 hours. That is a separate "bucket" that gets added to each year to a max number of hours. You use PTO for the first 32, then EIB kicks in, but it requires a confirmation note from a medical professional.
I wish we had this. in construction people regularly call out because they drank to much on Tuesday. so they do the single bucket to try and keep people from calling out when it's not really necessary. this isn't really a problem in the office but this industry isn't exactly innovative or "up with the times".

I know a couple of people that work for companies that don't have PTO at all. their policy is get your work done and you can "take off" when ever you want as much as you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to echo419 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #48320
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

I wish we had this. in construction people regularly call out because they drank to much on Tuesday. so they do the single bucket to try and keep people from calling out when it's not really necessary. this isn't really a problem in the office but this industry isn't exactly innovative or "up with the times".

I know a couple of people that work for companies that don't have PTO at all. their policy is get your work done and you can "take off" when ever you want as much as you want.
People not showing up to work is a serious, serious issue in automotive manufacturing. If you need 100 people to run a line you need 100 people not 95 or 96 or even 99. Most parts plants run on just in time these days so there is no warehouse full of parts sitting someplace you can just ship out when you need to. Add Lean (just enough people to do the job) and the problem escalates. With two of my plants we are just 15 minutes away from shutting down one of the largest plants in North America every shift of every day. We don't have extra bodies around in the event that people call in so even 2 or 3 missing means we stand the chance of sending 4,000 other people home for the shift. You can imagine that doesn't go over well. If a day off is planned we can work around it but if somebody doesn't call in or just not show up (how do you "forget" to call in?) we can be royally screwed and have to scramble to find a way to get somebody there fast. Unfortunately people don't know or care so it happens far to often.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #48321
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
OK Bye guys. I have returned from the south and am now headed to the north to see if I can catch some salmon. The odds are not in our favour though since the salmon run when it gets cool out and it is 85 degrees up there right now.
See y'all Sunday night
Dadhawk (09-14-2018), echo419 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #48322
echo419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
People not showing up to work is a serious, serious issue in automotive manufacturing. If you need 100 people to run a line you need 100 people not 95 or 96 or even 99. Most parts plants run on just in time these days so there is no warehouse full of parts sitting someplace you can just ship out when you need to. Add Lean (just enough people to do the job) and the problem escalates. With two of my plants we are just 15 minutes away from shutting down one of the largest plants in North America every shift of every day. We don't have extra bodies around in the event that people call in so even 2 or 3 missing means we stand the chance of sending 4,000 other people home for the shift. You can imagine that doesn't go over well. If a day off is planned we can work around it but if somebody doesn't call in or just not show up (how do you "forget" to call in?) we can be royally screwed and have to scramble to find a way to get somebody there fast. Unfortunately people don't know or care so it happens far to often.
I know that. I interviewed at a plant that made fuel or maybe brake lines and something else iirc when I was in college. they stressed at every step in the process, "you can never have an unscheduled day off." there's really no way around it. every job depends on another and is dependent on another so if one goes down it gums every thing up. the pay was AWESOME for a college kid. I just couldn't make it work with school.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #48323
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
People not showing up to work is a serious, serious issue in automotive manufacturing...
Yea, it's definitely discipline/field dependent, and it can differ greatly within a company.

I work in a Hospital system. IT folks calling out isn't a big deal, but on a nursing floor there are minimum staffing levels for patient counts. There it is a problem.

It was the same way in other businesses I've been involved with over the years (airlines, reference labs).

Old 09-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #48324
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I wish we had this. in construction people regularly call out because they drank to much on Tuesday.....
My Father owned a roofing company that I worked for from about age 10 to 20 so I can definitely relate. The closest my Father ever came to pulling his gun and shooting an employee was on a 110 degree day in August in NC when an employee had slipped a six pack of beer into the water jug and couldn't get it out at lunch so he cut the water jug in half to get it out.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #48325
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

I work in a Hospital system. IT folks calling out isn't a big deal, but on a nursing floor there are minimum staffing levels for patient counts. There it is a problem.

Same here at my hospital. I'm in finance. We could all not come in for a day and nothing would happen. On the patient side, different story.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-14-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #48326
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Today finally painted the basement. Color I’ve chose was Park Bench Green. Kinda like Forrest Green, but few shades lighter.

Still need to install molding, frame inside the window & blinds, but after that, it’s done!
Old 09-15-2018, 09:06 PM   #48327
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Today finally painted the basement. Color I’ve chose was Park Bench Green. Kinda like Forrest Green, but few shades lighter.

Still need to install molding, frame inside the window & blinds, but after that, it’s done!
Too cave like. Get a lighter color.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
JD001 (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #48328
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Too cave like. Get a lighter color.
Haha it’s an entertainment room, so most of the time lights gonna be off, so I wanted to keep the surrounding dark.

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis