follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Drambeenie BRZ/86 Risers
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
LotsaMiles
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Drives: Scion FR-s, xB, iA, Silverado Z71 4
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 80
Thanks: 2
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS vs BRZ shocks question

This is really an "after the fact" question since I already bought my new shocks, but here goes:


Back when I bought my 2013 FRS new, I read a lot of reviews comparing the FRS to the BRZ. One difference I found interesting was the suspension. Even the YouTube videos mentioned it. The claim was that the FRS had softer springs and stiffer shocks while the BRZ had stiffer springs but softer shocks.


But when I look up shocks nowadays, the part numbers for both cars are identical, at least in all the aftermarket brands I've checked (I just purchased the KYB excel G's from Amazon).


Is this just a "hey, it's close enough" sort of thing?
LotsaMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 49,695
Thanks: 44,476
Thanked 68,110 Times in 30,906 Posts
Mentioned: 1838 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Depends on what you are looking for. The differences between the two models (and even different years of the same models) really were not huge to start with. For most street applications they are indeed "close enough" to be considered the same. If looking for a particular set up to match your track driving style then the differences are magnified.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
Bonburner
Senior Member
 
Bonburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: M/T Argento FRS
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,185
Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 231 Times in 170 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I remember they used to have different suspensions in the first 2-3 years, but now they share suspension.


Long story short, they're more comfortable for daily driving now.


Also, the aftermarkets always made 1 type (of each product line) for the twins .. as they were identical/compatible products.
__________________
6/22/12 #040XY

Air Filter - aFe Magnum FLOW Pro 5R
Headunit - Seicane S16003
Deka Intimidator 35
Bonburner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
Decep
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Location: CA
Posts: 302
Thanks: 21
Thanked 109 Times in 74 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post


Long story short, they're more comfortable for daily driving now.
Big time.. 2018 86 springs/sachs dampers on my 2013 frs made it so compliant on nasty pavement. added the slightly fatter rear sway bar too.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (08-31-2018), pumice (09-22-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
Bonburner
Senior Member
 
Bonburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: M/T Argento FRS
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,185
Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 231 Times in 170 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Big time.. 2018 86 springs/sachs dampers on my 2013 frs made it so compliant on nasty pavement. added the slightly fatter rear sway bar too.

Honestly I was debating swapping out the rear suspension for the newer set up for daily driving hahaha


That gen1 suspension so hard and rough that my gf complains of her boobs jiggling because of it

__________________
6/22/12 #040XY

Air Filter - aFe Magnum FLOW Pro 5R
Headunit - Seicane S16003
Deka Intimidator 35
Bonburner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonburner For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (08-31-2018), RallySport (09-01-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 09:23 PM   #6
new2subaru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 15 FR-S
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,269
Thanks: 2,970
Thanked 1,229 Times in 709 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
That gen1 suspension so hard and rough that my gf complains of her boobs jiggling because of it

Funny you say that because when I switched to RCE yellows my wife said her boobs jiggled less. Got the thumbs up
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
My take on it at least. For every high powered modded street car on track, there's a miata driver the following season
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:30 AM   #7
Decep
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Location: CA
Posts: 302
Thanks: 21
Thanked 109 Times in 74 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Funny you say that because when I switched to RCE yellows my wife said her boobs jiggled less. Got the thumbs up
That's interesting. The soon-to-be-wifey noticed the RCEs right away. They were pretty bad on broken/uneven pavement. Fantastic on smooth winding roads though.. sigh

Tried sneaking them on but no go. Ended up going to 2018 suspension.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
pumice (09-16-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #8
Decep
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Location: CA
Posts: 302
Thanks: 21
Thanked 109 Times in 74 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
Honestly I was debating swapping out the rear suspension for the newer set up for daily driving hahaha


That gen1 suspension so hard and rough that my gf complains of her boobs jiggling because of it

definitely worth it, check the classifieds here. otherwise you can get OEM springs for like $200 from toyota. not sure about subaru but afaik same springs.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:40 AM   #9
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 18,261
Thanks: 12,547
Thanked 16,370 Times in 8,941 Posts
Mentioned: 450 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
Honestly I was debating swapping out the rear suspension for the newer set up for daily driving hahaha


That gen1 suspension so hard and rough that my gf complains of her boobs jiggling because of it

This post is useless without a video -


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
8RZ (09-10-2018), gravitylover (09-01-2018), guybo (09-01-2018), new2subaru (09-01-2018), Ultramaroon (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
new2subaru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 15 FR-S
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,269
Thanks: 2,970
Thanked 1,229 Times in 709 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
That's interesting. The soon-to-be-wifey noticed the RCEs right away. They were pretty bad on broken/uneven pavement. Fantastic on smooth winding roads though.. sigh

Tried sneaking them on but no go. Ended up going to 2018 suspension.
I'm not sure they're any worse and on pavement, could be. The stock shocks were jarring too on crappy roads.

I have access to country roads that are in really good shape withing 5-10 minutes, depending on which direction I go. That's where we drive most of the time and that's where the RCE's shine, like you said.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
My take on it at least. For every high powered modded street car on track, there's a miata driver the following season
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
meadowz06
THE CORVETTE KING!
 
meadowz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: 2013 FR-S, and 2016 FR-S!
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 177
Thanks: 5
Thanked 48 Times in 29 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can tell no difference in ride, between my 13 and 16.
__________________
Yes, I own 2 FRSís, 2013 and 2016!
meadowz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
TommyW
Senior Member
 
TommyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: '13 Whiteout
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 276
Thanks: 54
Thanked 195 Times in 108 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Funny you say that because when I switched to RCE yellows my wife said her boobs jiggled less. Got the thumbs up
I'd be takin' those Yellows back off
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
gravitylover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Location: SE NY
Posts: 861
Thanks: 305
Thanked 322 Times in 243 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
That gen1 suspension so hard and rough that my gf complains of her boobs jiggling because of it

I kinda like watching my wifes boobs jiggle on rough roads
__________________
gravitylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #14
guybo
Huge E85 fan!
 
guybo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 1,787
Thanks: 514
Thanked 966 Times in 583 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We've all heard of butt dyno for engine changes, now we have boob dyno for for suspension changes? AND VIDEO or I ain't buyin' it!
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
8RZ (09-10-2018), humfrz (09-01-2018), new2subaru (09-01-2018), RallySport (09-01-2018)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel Question on Stock Shocks FewTooManyBeers Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 1 06-25-2018 02:04 AM
OEM shocks going out? brazy Suspension | Chassis | Brakes 14 02-09-2018 12:07 PM
WTB: Shocks ThucP Canada Classifieds 0 08-08-2017 08:47 PM
On lowering springs for and stock shocks, time for new shocks... Basket Case Suspension | Chassis | Brakes 11 11-16-2015 09:31 AM
What shocks _F-R-S_ Suspension | Chassis | Brakes 3 10-31-2012 02:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.