follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

View Poll Results: Rice or Nice: Burnt Titanium Tips
Rice 159 40.46%
Nice 239 60.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List
MisterSheep

Old 08-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #127
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
But to that point...how much performance did you get out of it?? Its an insane purchase unless you absolutely must have the blue tips. Invidia outperforms it all day.
NEWSFLASH
Not everybody gives a shit about performance. Some just like to look good. It is every bit as valid reason to do something to the car as trying to squeeze out every single horsepower or shed an extra ounce of weight.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #128
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
NEWSFLASH
Not everybody gives a shit about performance. Some just like to look good. It is every bit as valid reason to do something to the car as trying to squeeze out every single horsepower or shed an extra ounce of weight.
But he said he did it for performance, not just the looks.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmy_Jones For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:07 PM   #129
Clipping_Path

Drives: 13 FRS – Whiteout
Quote:
But to that point...how much performance did you get out of it?? Its an insane purchase unless you absolutely must have the blue tips. Invidia outperforms it all day.
Almost 50lbs in weight savings makes a palpable difference. People value different things when mod'ing.

Last edited by Clipping_Path; 08-24-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Clipping_Path is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:37 PM   #130
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipping_Path View Post
My confusion is that it is a race part. The entire reason people buy titanium is for the weight savings - it literally weighs less than 1/3 of a SS Invidia exhaust. Yes, titanium being thinner does often yield a louder and more exotic note. But the blue coloring is purely for decoration that you can mimic on SS as well. Nonetheless, the purpose of titanium is for the performance, not aesthetics.
Quote:
Quote:

Man you seem to be trying real hard to dig at someone elses mod path, when you barely understood how the blueing on TI occurs.

If you're pursuing lightness at all cost titanium exhaust systems like this are what people put on their track twins when every gram counts and you're pulling weight out of the car like radio seats rear belts tools etc etc. I highly recommend you look at the track autox hpde section of this forum to see hundreds of examples of that.

The stock catback is 39lbs

A perrin cat-back for example is 34 lbs the amuse r1 is around 20 lbs with comparable decibel ratings to a non resonated. That adds up when you start cutting the cats out of the car and swapping to uels or ELs and you'll end up cutting around 40-50 lbs out of the exhaust alone which will make a difference.

Catbacks give little HP difference on this car, but seemingly weight cutting does more....

20 lbs of titanium may only be worth around $600 bulk, but machining, grinding, welding it is quite expensive, especially with the required tooling on CNC machines.

Also the example you chose of the panigale is not stock, I've owned a monster before I owned this car and those titanium termignoni exhausts are quite expensive around $2000+ for the race front exit stuff that's Ti and it only goes up from there, the panigale comes stock with stainless steel pipes still. They also don't turn blue at idle, you have to be pushing the bike to get egts up to turn it blue.

The rear of our cars don't get that hot unless you push it in a similiar fashion, from that point the exhaust is cool enough that it won't blue titanium, hence the hand torching done. It could easily be removed with some heavy polishing. But most likely after long enough it will turn some shade of blue after several hard heat cycles.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #131
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
OK point goes to you on that one
Timmy_Jones (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #132
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Quote:
Almost 50lbs in weight savings makes a palpable difference. People value different things when mod'ing.
I think the stock catback is like 40 lbs....how do you save 50lbs??
Old 08-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #133
Clipping_Path

Quote:
I think the stock catback is like 40 lbs....how do you save 50lbs??
The entire exhaust system is titanium - not just the catback. Mid pipe, over pipe, front pipe, headers. The previous owner was obsessed about weight savings.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #134
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Man you seem to be trying real hard to dig at someone elses mod path, when you barely understood how the blueing on TI occurs.
The guys with the blue exhaust tips are asking, so I am providing some insight as to why I don't think the mod makes any sense and if anything is trying to pretend to be something it isn't.

As for coloring, let's not make this difficult here. You buy a titanium exhaust and put it on the car. It turns blue from being very very hot. If its stainless it turns more of a gold/bronze. If your exhaust tips are blue and the pipes leading up to it appear to be a silver color you have faked the tips and they shouldn't be blue.

Listen, a full titanium system with silver colored tips is awesome in my book but the blue is just silly and pretending to be something it isn't.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #135
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Quote:
The entire exhaust system is titanium - not just the catback. Mid pipe, over pipe, front pipe, headers. The previous owner was obsessed about weight savings.
I would actually be curious/interested; who makes the titanium header?
Old 08-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #136
Clipping_Path

Quote:
I would actually be curious/interested; who makes the titanium header?
BLOX. I'm thinking of selling it soon to complete my interior project. I've been slowly (sadly?) undoing the weight-saving mods of the previous owner. He tracked it often. Being my DD, I frankly value comfort over performance.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #137
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
BLOX. I'm thinking of selling it soon to complete my interior project. I've been slowly (sadly?) undoing the weight-saving mods of the previous owner. He tracked it often. Being my DD, I frankly value comfort over performance.
Any issues with the Blox header? I saw on an old thread it was <5lbs. Can't imagine it being very durable for such a hot part of the exhaust.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #138
Clipping_Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Any issues with the Blox header? I saw on an old thread it was <5lbs. Can't imagine it being very durable for such a hot part of the exhaust.
No problems but I don't track it hard. And dare I say, the stock header sounded better. A titanium system definitely has its own unique sound. But the header put it over the top IMO. I actually like the note with the stock header and remainder being titanium. It sounds very exotic. But it's a little too much high frequency rasp for my tastes going 100% titanium.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:20 AM   #139
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I have a Spec D stainless exhaust with the burnt tips. I got the catback used for $100, so I didn't pay any extra for the burnt tips. I wouldn't pay extra either, but they are kind of neat to have- my wife loves them and wants burnt tips on her Camaro. I can't imagine people paying $300 just for colored tips, but they do. OK, to each his own.

I'm kind of eh on them. OK.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #140
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
I have a Spec D stainless exhaust with the burnt tips. I got the catback used for $100, so I didn't pay any extra for the burnt tips. I wouldn't pay extra either, but they are kind of neat to have- my wife loves them and wants burnt tips on her Camaro.
This is exactly why people see the blue tips and hates them...like I said, unless the entire system is blue from temp there is no need to pretend or even announce a ti system. And blue looks so terrible as an exhaust color just like green tires wouldn't make sense.