follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Jesse
wheel gap

Drives: whiteout frs, 04 xrs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
GTSPEC rear control arms & toe arms review

Hey everyone,

Have had my GTSPEC rear lower control arms and rear toe arms for a month now, wanted to give a small review. After installing the BC coilovers I was obviously way out of alignment at this ride height. Added the rear LCA's and toe arms, also front hotchkis swaybar links and whiteline rear swaybar links.

Things to note:
-the gtspec LCA have a bend in them to compensate for being lowered, not recommended at stock height. this is why i chose these, the stance rear LCA also have a design similar.

-I did both the lca and toe arms at the same time. i feel they both made a positive impact to the suspension feel. I would recommend doing both.

-rear toe arms are easy to adjust and access, the LCA are a pain. there is a metal piece of the subframe that's somewhat in the way of the adjustment nut.

-with both installed, im sure itse asy to get a good alignment for most setups.

-id recommend to anyone lowered over 2".

driving feel:
Huge improvement noticed from rear end, able to get toe right into spec, car tracks very straight no wandering on the highway, very positive rear end grip feeling.

would like to hear other peoples thoughts on the variety of arms out there now. looks to be some other nice options.

-Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
AZFA20
Automotive Connoisseur

Drives: too many cars
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
From my understanding the GTSpec and the Stance arms are actually the complete opposite in regard to geometry. The GTSpec will increase ride height and that is why coilovers are necessary whereas the Stance decreases ride height and again why coilovers are needed. The Stance would increase bump travel and the GTSpec will retain a geometry that does not add increased stress to the other components based on the new geometry of the lowered vehicle (i.e. upper ball joint). These arms should be chosen based on your suspensions needs as a consideration.
Jesse (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Jesse
wheel gap

Drives: whiteout frs, 04 xrs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFA20 View Post
From my understanding the GTSpec and the Stance arms are actually the complete opposite in regard to geometry. The GTSpec will increase ride height and that is why coilovers are necessary whereas the Stance decreases ride height and again why coilovers are needed. The Stance would increase bump travel and the GTSpec will retain a geometry that does not add increased stress to the other components based on the new geometry of the lowered vehicle (i.e. upper ball joint). These arms should be chosen based on your suspensions needs as a consideration.
good info, thanks
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
SLICVIC

Drives: 2006 STi
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFA20 View Post
The GTSpec will increase ride height and that is why coilovers are necessary whereas the Stance decreases ride height and again why coilovers are needed.
GTSpec to increase ride height? lol im not sure, i was lowered on BC coils maxed out maybe a little more than an inch "wheel-to-fender/quarterpanel" gap . When gtspec arms were installed i was tucking rim maybe i did something wrong idk lol

-and yes the adjustment surely is a PITA unless youre running crazy camber . I ordered from FRSport and the arms are the same part number for the GR imprezas LCA and look like this

(photo from frsport.com)

Noticed on the web after installing, GT Spec offers a pair of LCA for the FRS/BRZ in a different part number than the GR Impreza and look like this

(photo from gtspec website)

Now while the GR LCA's fit the BRZ/FRS , the arms may have been redesigned due to difficult adjustment issues . Maybe someone can chime in on this.

-Also id like to add, the LCAs i had i ran into some fitment issues, where the coilover lower mount and swaybar link sit into the arm , the arm was a bit too narrow, about 1mm too narrow. Had to grind down a milimeter off the coil lower mount bolt hole and barlink bolt hole to allow both to fit into the arm . This only happened on one arm(passenger side) not too sure why.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
ShikoBariki

Drives: 89 240sx S13 SR20DET, 13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
did you lower the car with coils first? im thinking of installing my coils til i get both toes and lcas and keep it on the stock rims and tires..
ShikoBariki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The GT SPEC LCA for FRS do not increase height
GTS-SUS-1473
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote