follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I hope the next part on your videos is suspension and wider rims. You had 225 rs3s even those on wider rims would go a long way. You should come back to Rantoul. The last event I ran the car took FTDI. That's on 245 rs3s and now full suspension compared to when you were down here earlier in the year. The car drives completly different now its really nice. We have events on the 3rd and 4th. Plus we have a nice sm class here will give you a idea where the car stacks up to cars on race tires ect.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
phastafrican

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Great post. I think the conclusions, summed up in a different way, would drive the point home.

For the average twin owner considering where to spend $5000 to be competitive, staying in STX with a tune, wheels, tires, suspension, and weight reduction will yield more results over bumping to SM with FI.

With another $5000 to spend, this car could be made competitive in SM but wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Thanks for putting this together, and as always, keep reviews and videos coming.
phastafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
phastafrican

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Great post. I think the conclusions, summed up in a different way, would drive the point home.

For the average twin owner considering where to spend $5000 to be competitive, staying in STX with a tune, wheels, tires, suspension, and weight reduction will yield more results over bumping to SM with FI.

With another $5000 to spend, this car could be MAYBE*** made competitive in SM but wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Thanks for putting this together, and as always, keep reviews and videos coming.

Last edited by phastafrican; 07-24-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added MAYBE***
phastafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think even $10k would make this car competetive in SM, or even street prepared for that matter. I haven't seen many "fully prepped" SM cars but the ones I've seen have displacement, a lot of lightness and a whole lot of rubber.

IMO, after reading this, a supercharged twin isn't going to be competetive at an autox. Absolutely nothing wrong with that - in local events SM is just where people that like modding their car for the hell of it run. Show up and have a good time.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I think a fully prepped twin will be competitive, just no one has done it yet. The difference between STX and SM prep is more than just slapping on a turbo or supercharger.

Thinking that slapping on a supercharger equals getting a real taste for SM class is unrealistic.

Read the rule book and understand the full options available for prep. Pretty much sky's the limit in SM. Definitely a pay to play class and no competitive builds are done with only OTS parts. With so much room for modifications, one can easily burn cash for no results if not careful.

Personally, I think the twins will do very well in that class, given the natural balance of the chassis and wide aftermarket support for engine/powertrain modifications. It won't be long until we see a nationally competitive build.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
I don't think even $10k would make this car competetive in SM, or even street prepared for that matter. I haven't seen many "fully prepped" SM cars but the ones I've seen have displacement, a lot of lightness and a whole lot of rubber.

IMO, after reading this, a supercharged twin isn't going to be competetive at an autox. Absolutely nothing wrong with that - in local events SM is just where people that like modding their car for the hell of it run. Show up and have a good time.
I agree the twins probably won't be competitive in SP trim. They may competitive in SM trim. It's just going to take a lot of money, and I'm not sure if a centrifugal supercharger would be the best choice for autox. I've seen some will prepped SM cars locally (Evos). What they have are lots of power, huge r-comps, upgraded diffs, and expensive suspenion setups. You can do most of that for the twins as well. Who knows exactly how competitive the twins will be until someone fully preps one for SM, which probably won't be for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
I think a fully prepped twin will be competitive, just no one has done it yet. The difference between STX and SM prep is more than just slapping on a turbo or supercharger.

Thinking that slapping on a supercharger equals getting a real taste for SM class is unrealistic.

Read the rule book and understand the full options available for prep. Pretty much sky's the limit in SM. Definitely a pay to play class and no competitive builds are done with only OTS parts. With so much room for modifications, one can easily burn cash for no results if not careful.

Personally, I think the twins will do very well in that class, given the natural balance of the chassis and wide aftermarket support for engine/powertrain modifications. It won't be long until we see a nationally competitive build.
I agree Let's not forget SM also stands for "Spend Money"
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #21
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Something wicked this way comes...
* '09 Nissan GT-R--gone, but not forgotten... 10.63 @ 131+ on streeties.
* '90 ZR-1 11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4 sprayed 120 shot.
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
My first event in SM showed me that I am still a n00b and that my NA throttle inputs don't work in SM with a FI setup. LOTS more seat time needed.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #23
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Put this in perspective.

Autocross is meant to be fun, you aren't going to make money doing it unless you make a full time career out of it.

I would rather spend $6k on forced induction, springs + koni's, tires, and place dead last in SM than spend $6k on STX only mods and win local STX.

Why? Because we daily drive our twins, most of us 10k miles a year. Making the numb skull daily drives enjoyable is much more bang for the buck than winning STX a few times a year.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
v1ru5 (07-29-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #24
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Put this in perspective.

Autocross is meant to be fun, you aren't going to make money doing it unless you make a full time career out of it.

I would rather spend $6k on forced induction, springs + koni's, tires, and place dead last in SM than spend $6k on STX only mods and win local STX.

Why? Because we daily drive our twins, most of us 10k miles a year. Making the numb skull daily drives enjoyable is much more bang for the buck than winning STX a few times a year.

I think thats the way I see it too. I have always valued autox as a tool to improve core skills. Value it. But hate it as competition, because the seat time absolutely blows. I learned more in my 2 years of karting than 7 years in autox. However, there is an art to getting a car to rotate and getting through a course smooth that only autox will teach you.

I could care less about class. But as it relates to this video it re-iterates, the stock car (CS RTR, can be just as fast as most of the STX guys)
Its more about driver for sure. In the end the SC made the car more fun. Was it faster, barely....
Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #25
defylogik
Track Junkie

Drives: White FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm interested in how the car handles real track abuse. Be sure to log some data if you can. Interesting to see oil temps and water temps after a few sessions with this kit.

On another note, a lot of guys I've experienced that are phenomenal autoxers turn into twitchy track drivers... at least until they settle down. The skill doesn't translate 1 to 1. You can usual spot the autox guys right off the bat... they are at 10/10 out of the paddock into turn 1
Old 07-30-2013, 01:02 AM   #26
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by defylogik View Post
I'm interested in how the car handles real track abuse. Be sure to log some data if you can. Interesting to see oil temps and water temps after a few sessions with this kit.

On another note, a lot of guys I've experienced that are phenomenal autoxers turn into twitchy track drivers... at least until they settle down. The skill doesn't translate 1 to 1. You can usual spot the autox guys right off the bat... they are at 10/10 out of the paddock into turn 1
Thats the last part of the video the track review I will make sure to have logs for you and plenty of data. And good insight on the 10/10ths autox guys. I can see that happening.