follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
mines13's living in the 90's boosted street DA build. My soon to be FRS driveway pal

Here is my DA build thread, I have always been a Honda guy and always will be, but I also have a soft spot for light weight RWD cars. My FRS will be my DA's stable mate and my daily driver...

I have loved the DA chassis for a long time. It's clean lines and ergonomic yet sporty interior had always appealed to me. I also appreciated that it was the first production Honda product to offer VTEC (In XSi trim that is, over seas). It reminds me of a time when Honda built truly unique cars; offering double wishbone suspensions, mechanical LSD's in almost everything and state of the art engine technology in a compact, lightweight, relatively lightweight and affordable package. Sure, you could say pretty much same things about any Honda product offered with a B series built between 1989 and 2001 but for me, the OG sexy DA will always be "the one" car that I could never get out of my head. I knew at some point I was going to own one...

Fast forward a few years, off and on no matter what I drove I would find myself casually browsing for DA's. I Had owned a 300ZXTT, SR20DET swapped PS13, SRT-4 (yuck), AE86 coupe, and an S2000 but I had still felt the yearning to build a really clean DA, something that represented all the things that attracted me to Honda's before I could drive, the import scene and what it meant to me.

I had a '05 S2000 with ITB's and cams. It was a great car, but it was anything but a daily driver. I could not drive in in the New York winters, (where I was living at the time) and needed a daily driver. A good friend of mine had actually found a really clean one owner '92 on craigslist not too far away from where I was living at the time so we went to check it out. It was a pretty solid car, all stock 5 speed LS trim in red. Even the factory tape deck was still in there. It had a bit over 100K on the clock and he was asking a what I felt to be fair $3000. I beat him up on the price a bit and ended up leaving with the car for $2500. Even the AC worked on the drive home, but it did have the pesky ABS light... (more on that later)

Anyway, that is how it all started...

Track day at Watkins Glenn back in 2009, had a ton of fun and didn't have any off track excursions. At this point I had some bullshit rotas that I got for free, Tokico blues and some knockoff springs. I had also done pads, rotors and steel brake hoses. This was the first time I have had the privilege of driving at Watkins, great track more fun then Laguna Seca in my opinion but that really isn't the point of this thread, is it? Anyway, while adjusting something under the car at the track that day, I had accidentally dropped the car on a jack stand, punching a hole in the rocker. Needless to say this bummed me out but luckily my boss owned a body shop and one of my buddies was a painter so this happened...

I ended up buying JDM side moldings, 15x7 TE-37s, JDM one piece headlights new in the box, and replacing the windshield and window trim. I also shaved the badges and put a carbon hood on the car, painting it body color. The car was nice, but it needed something else… It was a slow ass LS after all.

I had bought an OBD1 XSi swap from H motors online. Just to check if everything was ok I tested the valves for leaks and they were ALL leaking. Ended up taking the head off and all of the valve seats were hammered in with carbon, this was bad. I sent the head out to Headgames in New Jersey to get new seats cut, bronze guides and get my crower valve train installed to correct seat pressure. Ended up doing a full service on the engine while it was out minus the oil pump. New gaskets, new front and rear main seal, CC stg 2 clutch and flywheel, new water pump, ARP head studs. Also threw in some ITR cams a guy gave me for tuning his car. While the engine was somewhat apart I figured I would build the XSi transmission that came with the swap. Ended up putting in a WaveTrac LSD and carbon coated syncrhos.

I tuned the car with Crome, (it was what I had at the time) on the Mustang dyno we had at the shop I was working at, at the time. It was a fairly stout little B16, made over 180whp but like all B16s, it made a laughable amount of torque.

I had also done an ASR rear 27mm sway bar setup, full S2 control arms all around, Innovative mount kit, Innovative traction kit, ST front sway bar, bushings, and a few other things I am likely forgetting.

The car was a lot of fun in this state of tune, enjoyed tracking it but it really needed a seat, I had my Sparco seat and rail from my S2000 left over after I sold it, so I figured I would put that in. While I was at it I changed my steering wheel to an old school Momo Montecarlo (classic wheel, been around forever) and used the old style Momo steering wheel hub.

Before:

After:

This picture shows the steering wheel, GSR tech installed in the LS cluster that came with the car, and my Fastline Performance shifter. (love it)

Some time passed, I ended up moving back to SoCal to work for the company I had previously been employed with when I had lived here originally… Some time passed and I wanted to change up the DA a bit, I was getting bored with the torqueless (but fun in its own way) B16 and wanted to change it up. It was time to take the next logical step, boost!

I knew exactly what I wanted, I had pretty conservative goals and wanted something quiet, maybe I am getting old? I had envisioned a compact mini-ram manifold to keep my PS, a backdoor intercooler and a recirculated downpipe. I had a pretty good relationship with Precision so I went with one of their non ball bearing 5857 billet anti-surge turbochargers and 46mm V band wastegates. The manifold/turbo plumbing and intercooler was all brilliantly fabricated exactly as I had wanted it to be by Greg over at Go-Autoworks.

Greg’s work is top notch, and for what you get the pricing is incredible. I do not know why we do not see more of his stuff because it is every bit as good as the more popular options out there. He uses high grade steel, the welds are beautiful and everything fits together incredibly well. He is also very friendly and willing to make sure you get EXACTLY what you want, even if it is not a normally listed configuration.

You can see some other parts that have yet to be installed in the pics.

I needed an ECU and for me, there was but one logical choice, S300. My buddies over at HA Motorsports hooked me up with this gorgeous PNP ready to rock and roll setup with a custom clear cover and black powder coated case. ELD and PWM were all setup and ready for the hardware…

I got the ECU installed with the HA Motorsports 4bar map sensor and a set of ID725cc injectors. I used an Innovate Motorsports MTX-L wideband (must have, best wideband I have used) and street tuned the car for partial throttle WOT no boost to have a solid baseline for what was to come…

It was finally time to build the engine. I purchased a set of the new JE flat top 10:1 FSR pistons in 81.5mm bore and a set of K1 connecting rods. I had experience with the K1 rods from my previous employment and knew they were more then up to the task.

Having only ever built one engine my entire life I felt it was time to stand aside for an expert. My buddy mike over at Autowave in HB took on the blueprinting and assembly of the engine. I had a B18C5 short block I was planning on doing something with so it went off to the machine shop for a .5mm over bore, line hone and hot tank bath. The crank was spun, polished and chamfered as well. Can not say enough good things about Mike, his father Shane and the rest of the crew at Autowave. There is a reason they have been around about as long as I have been alive. They know what to do, how to do it and they treat people right. What more can you ask from a shop?

Relocated the battery for the intercooler charge pipe.

This is still a work in progress, but here are a few other teasers:

Pure 80’s sex.

New style Tial 50mm BOV.

Update 1/20/12

Someone had inquired about the suspension setup. This in my opinion is one of the crowning achievements of the car. I wanted to keep the 4x100 for stealth factor, so what I did was installed a set of new EG front drop forks, this allows the use of DC shocks in the front, the DA already has more suspension travel and a longer shock in the back, so any normal DC shock/coil-over can be used back there. I replaced all the control arms with everything in the S2 catalog, installed graphite/poly bushings, Bilstein mono-tube shocks, ground control coil-overs with custom spring rates, Innovative traction kit, ST green front anti-roll bar, ASR rear 27mm sway bar and sub brace...

The brake package uses redrilled slottted 97+ ITR rotors in the front, machined 97+ ITR calipers, Feroda DS2500 brake pads all around, steel braded brake hoses all around, ABS delete with an RS proportioning valve and motul 5.1 brake fluid.

Update 1/25/12

Rotating assembly together, next week we will pull the head and get the engine finished...

Thank you for reading, I will post more when I have it, as I have it.
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
mines13

Update 1/28/12

Just got this from racerdanny, good guy...

Thermal Research 3" DA exhaust.

Update 2/9/12

Just got my Go Autoworks custom intercooler Type 2 Class 2 coated. Not too much longer now...

Update 2/27/12

Engine is finally all together. Should be putting it in this week... Had to get a valve job and replace a bent valve. This was a minor delay but at least it is now out of the way.

Update 3/9/12

Finally got the engine back in and running. No slap, no smoke. Really liking these new JE FSR pistons. After some run in I will install the turbo system.

Wrapped my turbo manifold for the retro look, may not keep it that way.

Update 3/26/12

Finally finished the install, pulled an all-nighter getting everything to fit properly with the stock bumper beam etc. I am only at 7.5psi right now while I get the driveablity and low/hi cam maps dialed in. It feels great in boost, even with 9.7:1 compression. Still need to install my MAC solenoid to setup the boost by gear, but I want a few more miles on the block before I wick it up and tune it on my buddies Dynopak. A few pics:

Thank you for reading, I will post more when I have it, as I have it.

Last edited by mines13; 03-30-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
MiguelAE86

Drives: NB Miata
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Damn. $$$$
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
mines13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelAE86 View Post
Damn. $$$$
You don't know the half of it brother. I think total with all the different wheel, suspension, brake, etc. setups. All the body work, 3 different engine configurations 2 clutches, etc. I am almost at $35,000 over a few years. But it is a labor of love.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I love seeing people with Hondas do things the proper way and build sick cars. Not cheaping out and buying quality parts and creating a purpose built vehicle. Hondas have massive potential, but they get overlooked too often due to the ricers and fanbois

Good stuff and good luck with the build!
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Nice build, just wondering why not just buy an ITR?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
mines13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I love seeing people with Hondas do things the proper way and build sick cars. Not cheaping out and buying quality parts and creating a purpose built vehicle. Hondas have massive potential, but they get overlooked too often due to the ricers and fanbois

Good stuff and good luck with the build!
Thanks, I totally agree.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
mines13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
Nice build, just wondering why not just buy an ITR?
I prefer the DA, and turbo charging an ITR in my opinion is a sin. That is a factory built race car.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mines13 View Post
I prefer the DA, and turbo charging an ITR in my opinion is a sin. That is a factory built race car.
I agree with this.

Honda got its street cred ruined by ricers but there are tons of guys who actually do crazy builds. I think cost helps since there is such an abundance of parts out there.

Makes me sad my last project goal of a b18b turbo hatch got rear ended and totaled before I got a chance to really get it started. Only just dropped the engine in.

Anyways love to see a quality build
Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Very Nice!!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
DA TEG!!!!! ohh my heart strings!!

beautiful build mines13, thank you for standing up against a sea of rice.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Nice build! I loved the DA B17's back in the days especially the GSR when it's all colormatched and said VTEC on the side molding. Then the DC came out and then I thought the DA's looked very old.

One of my goals when I had my Integra was to do a full JDM front end but that never happened. Time to time, I still look for a DC Type R that hasn't been abused or riced out.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
mines13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
I agree with this.

Honda got its street cred ruined by ricers but there are tons of guys who actually do crazy builds. I think cost helps since there is such an abundance of parts out there.

Makes me sad my last project goal of a b18b turbo hatch got rear ended and totaled before I got a chance to really get it started. Only just dropped the engine in.

Anyways love to see a quality build
Thanks man, this is so true.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
mines13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
DA TEG!!!!! ohh my heart strings!!

beautiful build mines13, thank you for standing up against a sea of rice.

LOL. Thanks, yeah that is a factor in my decision to keep going with this car. So many people have given the whole Honda thing a bad rap because of the ridiculous amount of "hellaflush" and rice in the scene. I am too old for that crap. Function and fun can go hand and hand, and unless one is just hater, you just can not hate on well done Honda. :happy0180: