follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Guage face

To any companies or skilled non-company members; I would love it if someone could make something like this for the FR-S. The first minute I saw that the tach was centered and silver(unlike the black ones surrounding it) I thought of the Ferrari's yellow tach. Please let me know about any thoughts or general ideas of pricing. As it woul likely be just a film or something like that, which would sit ontop of the current faces, I would not expect them to be more the 50-100 dollars. Here is the picture in my head. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
TonyJZX

Drives: VN Commode
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
great idea but as always these things are hard to take and easy to damage and expensive
TonyJZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Cool I searched and found something!!!!

Hahaha.... Search actually found something slightly applicable for once. I emailed BlackCatCustom and asked if they would be willing to make some faces for those of us who dislike the (IMO UGLY) backgrounds that come behind the FR-S Tach to something a bit more plain or more noticeable. The Co also does needles (tricky business those...) and lighting.

EDIT: and when I say ugly, I mean the fish scale? Carbon fiber? whatever that crap is... How about the tach carbon stuff to be matched with the white, or what about the black part of the tach in color, with the white becoming black, or staying white? What are you looking for here? Lol. I think speed should be more noticeable as well. Me personally, I'd like to see something almost exactly like the Ferrari's there. One color (red for me...) out to the end of the numbers, with the ticks being on a black BG, especially seeing as our gauges light up and can be tricky to see at dusk. Then something... Not sure what... for the speedo. Red Center maybe? like make the speedo contrast like our tach, but instead of the fake carbon we have red, and white on black stays for the edge? I'll have to do some photoshoppin when I get off today... and then after I go to emissions... and install the H9s... and go see..., well ok, maybe not today. I will get to it this weeked however.
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
John_Duh
Thinker with everything

Drives: Celica TS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There's a guy who makes and sells these for a Miata.

Check out his shop

He also explains how to make them in his blog, so if you have the skills and the patience you can give it a go.
If not he's a nice guy, so drop him a line.
John_Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Here's what i bought. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20963
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
DanoFA20
Shift Down

Drives: Toyota 86, Mazda RX7 RaceCar (FC3S)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zohare View Post
Hahaha.... Search actually found something slightly applicable for once. I emailed BlackCatCustom and asked if they would be willing to make some faces for those of us who dislike the (IMO UGLY) backgrounds that come behind the FR-S Tach to something a bit more plain or more noticeable. The Co also does needles (tricky business those...) and lighting.

EDIT: and when I say ugly, I mean the fish scale? Carbon fiber? whatever that crap is... How about the tach carbon stuff to be matched with the white, or what about the black part of the tach in color, with the white becoming black, or staying white? What are you looking for here? Lol. I think speed should be more noticeable as well. Me personally, I'd like to see something almost exactly like the Ferrari's there. One color (red for me...) out to the end of the numbers, with the ticks being on a black BG, especially seeing as our gauges light up and can be tricky to see at dusk. Then something... Not sure what... for the speedo. Red Center maybe? like make the speedo contrast like our tach, but instead of the fake carbon we have red, and white on black stays for the edge? I'll have to do some photoshoppin when I get off today... and then after I go to emissions... and install the H9s... and go see..., well ok, maybe not today. I will get to it this weeked however.
the look that people think is carbon fiber isnt spose to be carbonfiber look like. its actually the shape of the AE86 steering wheel center so your floor matts dash texture and interior bits on the dash have that shape little bit of history.
DanoFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Garage
Ah.... Geez. I feel bad now... haha. Either way. I emailed blackcat and they said they are trying to get hold of a cluster. I may just send them mine, since my Miata ( @John_Duh yeahp, got a miata too...) is running. Thanks everyone for the input! any suggestions for gauge faces? @DanoFA20 you have anything for us that would also have some history from the AE86, or the older... shit... forgot what it's called. The... 600gt? Idk. The older Toyota coupe that actually looks more like this car than the 86 does.
John, just took a look at those Miata gauges. Definitely will be ordering from him once everything else is all squared away. Thanks for the link!
Double edit: @stockysnail Thanks dude! Exactly what I was looking for! Sorry for the double topic, MODS go ahead and close this thread if you like, I can make a new one if anything comes of BlackCat, but don't want to oversell a vendor that's already on here. Thanks all
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoFA20 View Post
the look that people think is carbon fiber isnt spose to be carbonfiber look like. its actually the shape of the AE86 steering wheel center so your floor matts dash texture and interior bits on the dash have that shape little bit of history.
Correction, that design is actually "T" for Toyota....
Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
oso_25
OH HEY NOW!!!!

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s Asphalt
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Wish we had a vendor that sell these
oso_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Auto-Hauss

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S-Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^^^ I'm working on it. I have some ideas in the works.
Auto-Hauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #11
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-Hauss View Post
^^^ I'm working on it. I have some ideas in the works.
Was any progress ever made?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Garage
the owner of the company who made this gauge overlay passed away and the company soon followed. very few were made and is even photos of it are obscenely hard to find even with google search. wish i could be one of the few who had them
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrlewistan For This Useful Post:
calis5nest (07-22-2014), xclusive_brett (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #13
Rougenite

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
^ that is hawt. Id be happy doing a swap of colors, like I did in the tC.
Rougenite is offline   Reply With Quote