follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #15
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Aftermarket passenger seat issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Now that's strange. The sensor is basically the only thing seeing if someone is in the seat and at that point it should say airbag on and that's it with no other issues. Plug in seatbelt and it should still say airbag on and the seatbelt light should be gone. Really strange !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, you lost me a sec. I'm no expert in electronic stuff, so making sure we're on same page.

There are 2 lights:
- Airbag light on the gauge like this:

- SRS Passenger Airbag light below head unit (sorry car isn't next to me) this thingy:

Situation 1
Driver side seatbelt on + Passenger seatbelt off = airbag light on the gauge is on & SRS Passenger Airbag said "Off"

Situation 2
Driver side seatbelt on + Passenger seatbelt on = airbag light on the gauge is off & SRS Passenger Airbag light said "Off"

Thing that makes me annoying more is, if passenger seatbelt isn't on before car is turned on, that airbag will keep it "on", it doesn't matter if I put em on.

So with that said, so far 2 things I can think:
1. I've fcked up the occupancy sensor and need new one.
2. Sensor is working fine, just due to resistor, they always thinks that, there's someone there. Requiring me to get seatbelt adaptor.

TBH idk... what do you think?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #16
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Sorry, you lost me a sec. I'm no expert in electronic stuff, so making sure we're on same page.

There are 2 lights:
- Airbag light on the gauge like this:

- SRS Passenger Airbag light below head unit (sorry car isn't next to me) this thingy:

Situation 1
Driver side seatbelt on + Passenger seatbelt off = airbag light on the gauge is on & SRS Passenger Airbag said "Off"

Situation 2
Driver side seatbelt on + Passenger seatbelt on = airbag light on the gauge is off & SRS Passenger Airbag light said "Off"

Thing that makes me annoying more is, if passenger seatbelt isn't on before car is turned on, that airbag will keep it "on", it doesn't matter if I put em on.

So with that said, so far 2 things I can think:
1. I've fcked up the occupancy sensor and need new one.
2. Sensor is working fine, just due to resistor, they always thinks that, there's someone there. Requiring me to get seatbelt adaptor.

TBH idk... what do you think?

Haha sorry about that ! Well let's see , the airbag light is on most likely because it's not getting signal so there is some kind of error it's seeing. Double check the driver side and make sure you got it right. Have you sat in either or and tried the seatbelt as well? I know trying to push on the cushion of the sensor won't cause it to sense like someone is sitting there.

I've had a airbag light go off before but I had my steering wheel resistor give me issues and it went away after fixing it , but for seats , I would go through it again and double check your drivers seat. As for the sensor , did it rip or anything of that sort ? Your situation one seems like there may be an issue with the drivers side. Passenger should be off when no one is sitting in it. It'll say airbag on when a passenger sits on the chair. Play musical chairs and see what happens with different combinations of belt in and off etc

ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #17
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Haha sorry about that ! Well let's see , the airbag light is on most likely because it's not getting signal so there is some kind of error it's seeing. Double check the driver side and make sure you got it right. Have you sat in either or and tried the seatbelt as well? I know trying to push on the cushion of the sensor won't cause it to sense like someone is sitting there.

I've had a airbag light go off before but I had my steering wheel resistor give me issues and it went away after fixing it , but for seats , I would go through it again and double check your drivers seat. As for the sensor , did it rip or anything of that sort ? Your situation one seems like there may be an issue with the drivers side. Passenger should be off when no one is sitting in it. It'll say airbag on when a passenger sits on the chair. Play musical chairs and see what happens with different combinations of belt in and off etc

I've tried both passenger sitting & without passenger not sitting. Both come out to be same (same result as situation 1 & 2) occupancy sensor itself didn't rip. Just the foam it's glued to have several rips, but no where near the sensor.

Hm... you think, it's a driver side issue? currently it's too dark to work on my car, but I'll def work on it again tomorrow and report back.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #18
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
I've tried both passenger sitting & without passenger not sitting. Both come out to be same (same result as situation 1 & 2) occupancy sensor itself didn't rip. Just the foam it's glued to have several rips, but no where near the sensor.

Hm... you think, it's a driver side issue? currently it's too dark to work on my car, but I'll def work on it again tomorrow and report back.

I mean , situation one seems like a driver side. How about you somehow sit on the sensor when it's not in the seat. Maybe unbolt the seat and take it out and put some wood down and the sensor on top and a pillow on top and sit on it and see if your thing where the clock says airbag on. Just to eliminate either the sensor problem or it being your seat cushion

ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Have you checked to see if it has thrown any codes? There's a step-by-step troubleshooting matrix in the service manual.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:48 AM   #20
86Kai

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm getting aftermarket seats installed next week, with the resistors being plugged in, and the seat sensor transferred over. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly. Will be posting some updates in here, and if they work fine, I'll ask the guy what exactly he did lol.
86Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 AM   #21
trueno86power
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Before guessing what's going on, reads the codes !

You can get your self a cheap Toyota Mini VCI OBDII USB wire + Techstream (you can get it somewhere on the forum, PM me if you want a more recent version)

It will work even if you have a BRZ, you only got to chose your year/model manually (ex: 2013 Scion FR-S) and it will work perfectly.
trueno86power is offline   Reply With Quote