follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
chuckseabreeze

Drives: Black BRZ PP on order
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where does the BRZ fit in your "sports car progression?"

Hello,

Something to ponder while I wait for delivery of my car.

I was thinking about a video I saw from Matt of "Obsessed Garage" / Rennlist who has shared his "sports car progression" - from Honda civics to S2000s to BMW M3s and eventually to a 911 GT3 and others.

The thing that struck me was that it seems like there was always a "plan" or at least overarching theme to keep "upgrading" with each move, with an eventual plan for a serious sports car (GT3) and separate high performance daily driver.

In my case, the only cars I've ever owned have been non performance cars (Jeep Cherokee and Corolla - all automatic) but I have always liked sports cars.

I'm in a position right now where I can finally pull the trigger on a BRZ and super stoked about the upgraded package / brakes and dampers, slight changes with the 2017 refresh. I expect that it will be a tremendous upgrade compared to my current car. I probably could have waited a few years and moved in the direction of a Cayman or even 911 in more, but I feel like that would be too much of a leap from my previous car experience - not to mention very, very expensive. Plus I am hoping the BRZ will be a good car to learn about "driving" - manual, rear wheel, etc. Maybe get into autocross one day. Would love to take a driving class like the BMW or Porsche ones I have come across online.

So my questions to you are:

1.) What has been your sports car progression?
2.) What are your eventual goals?
3.) Where does the BRZ fit in this progression for you?

Last edited by chuckseabreeze; 01-26-2017 at 11:15 PM.
chuckseabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chuckseabreeze For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (01-28-2017), mokinbird87 (01-27-2017), Mr.Impreza (01-27-2017), olsonpg (01-28-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
cstong@umich.edu

Drives: 2017 BRZ
I don't know. BRZ is kind of my first sport car which I am gonna use for practice. Just don't want to mess up with expensive car.
cstong@umich.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
perryair
junior mafia

Drives: ‘20 sti limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
the only other sports car ive owned is a 95 mustang. the crazy thing is that in the intervening 20 years my 15 brz, as a little 4 banger has the same quarter mile time as that old v8, and with the alcantara seats, seat heaters, led lights and nav system (even though it kind of sucks) its ahead of that mustang in every conceivable performance or comfort or aesthetic metric.

some of your question involves being able to afford to 'progress' in sports cars as well, so without forseeing becoming really rich in the future and stepping into a cayman or a shelby mustang or m2 or something like that i'm going to be pretty content having a brz as a second car for a very long time.
DAEMANO (01-27-2017), daiheadjai (01-28-2017), EAGLE5 (01-30-2017), FLYFISHR (01-28-2017), Tcoat (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
chuckseabreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryair View Post
the only other sports car ive owned is a 95 mustang. the crazy thing is that in the intervening 20 years my 15 brz, as a little 4 banger has the same quarter mile time as that old v8, and with the alcantara seats, seat heaters, led lights and nav system (even though it kind of sucks) its ahead of that mustang in every conceivable performance or comfort or aesthetic metric.

some of your question involves being able to afford to 'progress' in sports cars as well, so without forseeing becoming really rich in the future and stepping into a cayman or a shelby mustang or m2 or something like that i'm going to be pretty content having a brz as a second car for a very long time.
This is what I think is really, really cool. I'm amazed by how much cars have improved over the years. I see so much written about how the BRZ is "too expensive" - and sure, I'd love if it were priced even less, and I'm sure you could debate value vs. other cars on the market, especially "per horsepower", but this car seems pretty special from what I can tell.

I was looking at old pictures of 997 interiors the other day and realized how much the BRZ interior looks like the 997 interior. In fact that was one of the first thoughts I had when I saw the BRZ interior - reminded me of the 997. Makes me wonder if they actually purposefully used that as a benchmark.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
chuckseabreeze

See below:
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chuckseabreeze For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-27-2017), new2subaru (01-27-2017), NLS8520 (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #6
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Interesting question. My goal has been to have as many "fun" cars as I can afford. When I was young, I purchased my first sports car - a 1974 Triumph Spitfire. I bought it new when I was 20 years old. I loved that British sports car. Then I bought a 1976 Fiat X 1/9. Also new. It was Italian, mid engined, targa topped - and not that reliable. I then got married, had kids, etc. My next sports car was a 2002 Camaro 35th anniversary edition. Big old American iron. Then I bought a Chrysler Crossfire - really a Mercedes SLK reskinned. It was a great road trip car for my wife and I. After that, I have finally purchased a Japanese sports car - my Firestorm Red FR-S. This car reminds me alot of my first sports car - the old Triumph. I look out the windshield and see the sheet metal over the front wheels just like in the Triumph. I also sit as low as I did in that wonderful old British go-cart. I've had two seat convertibles, two seat hardtops, four seaters, you name it....this little FR-S is just as much fun as all the rest of them. Buy the toys when you can, before you get married and have the kids. Then wait for more fun after the kids move out and are on their own. I'm the happiest I've ever been, and more importantly, my wife loves the car too. Can't wait to get it out on The Tail Of The Dragon!
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to winstonscifi For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (01-28-2017), FLYFISHR (01-28-2017), Psilox (01-26-2017), ~el~jefe~ (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #7
chuckseabreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
Interesting question. My goal has been to have as many "fun" cars as I can afford. When I was young, I purchased my first sports car - a 1974 Triumph Spitfire. I bought it new when I was 20 years old. I loved that British sports car. Then I bought a 1976 Fiat X 1/9. Also new. It was Italian, mid engined, targa topped - and not that reliable. I then got married, had kids, etc. My next sports car was a 2002 Camaro 35th anniversary edition. Big old American iron. Then I bought a Chrysler Crossfire - really a Mercedes SLK reskinned. It was a great road trip car for my wife and I. After that, I have finally purchased a Japanese sports car - my Firestorm Red FR-S. This car reminds me alot of my first sports car - the old Triumph. I look out the windshield and see the sheet metal over the front wheels just like in the Triumph. I also sit as low as I did in that wonderful old British go-cart. I've had two seat convertibles, two seat hardtops, four seaters, you name it....this little FR-S is just as much fun as all the rest of them. Buy the toys when you can, before you get married and have the kids. Then wait for more fun after the kids move out and are on their own. I'm the happiest I've ever been, and more importantly, my wife loves the car too. Can't wait to get it out on The Tail Of The Dragon!
Very cool. Do you have any pictures of those cars?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuckseabreeze For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (01-28-2017), ~el~jefe~ (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
Calvin27

Drives: GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze View Post

So my questions to you are:

1. 90s hondas, nissans and second toyota. I've had too many mates get burned from Euro models - they are not keepers.
2. I've also learned that big power is not the end game and learned to appreciate the dynamics of a vehicle. My goals are to drive different cars and different circuits. I've given up the expensive pursuit of time improvements and just go by feels.
3. Its a great fit anywhere on the cost curve. At the low end it's a great first car (better once they depreciate a bit more), then after that great as a fun car. Then if you got real money leave the luxury car at home and have no qualms full racing it. Stack it and get another. Mod the crap out of it. Then get another and try something else. I rekon if I had all the money in the world this car would still be in my garage. Like the dude above, my goals is liek Jay Leno. More cars, more variety, appreciate all philosophies and have fun trying them out. I'm not about lap times in the grand scheme - but chasing them is fun within reason.
Calvin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calvin27 For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 AM   #9
chuckseabreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin27 View Post
1. 90s hondas, nissans and second toyota. I've had too many mates get burned from Euro models - they are not keepers.
2. I've also learned that big power is not the end game and learned to appreciate the dynamics of a vehicle. My goals are to drive different cars and different circuits. I've given up the expensive pursuit of time improvements and just go by feels.
3. Its a great fit anywhere on the cost curve. At the low end it's a great first car (better once they depreciate a bit more), then after that great as a fun car. Then if you got real money leave the luxury car at home and have no qualms full racing it. Stack it and get another. Mod the crap out of it. Then get another and try something else. I rekon if I had all the money in the world this car would still be in my garage. Like the dude above, my goals is liek Jay Leno. More cars, more variety, appreciate all philosophies and have fun trying them out. I'm not about lap times in the grand scheme - but chasing them is fun within reason.
Would you say its the most fun car you've owned?
Old 01-27-2017, 12:12 AM   #10
Calvin27

Drives: GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze View Post
Would you say its the most fun car you've owned?
It would be a close tie between my eg civic (more sentimental reasons) and nb mx5 (pure dynamics - but to be honest didn't actualyl own that). The 86 is not far behind. But the reason not going the nb/nd mx5 was because firstly the nd costs a lot more (about $7k usd more in aussie land vs the gts) and also I really need a roof.
Calvin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:20 AM   #11
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Oh! This is actually a very fun topic!

2002 Subaru WRX
2007 BMW 335i
2015 Toyota 86

The goal is too keep this one running as long as possible like Mr.Tsuchiya.

It's the car that I always wanted. A RWD sports car that was down to the basics and balanced. A car I could buy brand new, since most car that interest me are all oldies now. The whole back to the 90's vibe is just my thing. I love the old school clock guys.

Will I ever add an additional sports car? Possibly...I'm always on the hunt for a clean RX-7/NSX.

Maybe a second generation 86 if they continue production? Who knows.

The point it....this 86 is staying with me forever <3

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-27-2017), FLYFISHR (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 02:34 AM   #12
FunnyGopher

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryair View Post

Dude, I feel the exact same way. First car was an 84 El Camino. Drove it all through high school and college. I still love that car, but the modern features of my 15 limited blow that thing out of the water. Dual climate control? WTF? The Camino didn't even have air conditioning. The BRZ is like 12 steps up from that thing. I too will be driving it for a very long time.
FunnyGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunnyGopher For This Useful Post:
perryair (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 02:40 AM   #13
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
I own a Scion, not a BRZ but this topic is interesting anyway.

Car progression in total has been:
EG Civic coupe >>> Z32 300ZX >>> Golf mk6 TDI >>> 1.8 Miata >>> FR-S
I still own the Z, the Miata, and the FR-S.

Dream car is a self-built Shelby Cobra kit. I also know once I build that car, it is never getting sold so I think I'll hold off for a while and do it when I'm old. Maybe build it with my kids if I ever have any. Before that, I have a car bucket list of ones I'd like to experience. S2000, Fiata Abarth and Z06 are all happening at some point and thankfully, depreciation will make those very manageable. I actually almost bought a C5Z instead of the 86.

If they ever put a manual in the Alfa 4c, that would be another one. Ultimate goal before the cobra is I'd like to own something like a first gen Viper, R8, Ferrari 360, or Murceilago since I think I could actually swing one used. I feel like everyone should own a German or Italian supercar at some point in their life even if it's 20-30 years old and obsolete, and of course, bonus points if one of the cars you had on a poster on your bedroom wall as a child ends up parked in your garage later on.

I'm dailying it right now. The TDI buyback happened so I needed something else and the 86's heavy depreciation meant I could have something fun like that for the price of a new civic. I always liked them and I missed dailying the Z so a sports car was the natural choice. My bank account says get a Chevy SS or a Corvette but my common sense side says get some frugal fun in the form of an 86 and try to pay off the house before I turn 30. When the mortgage is small to non-existent because I didn't blow all my money on having the fastest, nicest cars all the time, one of those big goal cars can actually happen.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:15 AM   #14
XK4

Drives: 2017 BRZ, Pure Red with PP
Not so much a progression as a ramble down the highway.

Not so much as a progression, as moving on to fun cars (or that I thought would be fun) that caught my attention. The following list omits several cars that nobody would ever consider "sports" (such as a 1969 Rambler American with 3 on the column).

- 1961 Ford Thunderbird (my first car)
- 1968 Ford Cortina GT (a very fun car)
- 1976 Ford Mustang II (ugh, and my last Ford)
- 1980 Honda Accord (very sporty compared to the Mustang II)
- 1985 Nissan Maxima
- 1989 RX-7 (finally a real sports car)
- 1991 Miata (Eventually supercharged)
- 1995 Miata
- 1997 Jaguar XK8 Coupe (good looking and fast, but it had issues)
- 1999 Miata (the Jag's little brother)
- 2004 RX-8
- 2007 MX-5 PRHT
- 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 (I needed a practical vehicle)
- 2017 BRZ with PP (the Outback's little out-of-control brother)

Just to have a fun car available.

Due to where I live, the BRZ was one of only two options; the other being an MX-5. I might have bought the MX-5, but I didn't care for the dealer and I really liked dealing with the Subaru dealer. Prior to the BRZ we'd bought 4 Subbies from them, my Outback and 3 Foresters for my wife.
XK4 is offline   Reply With Quote