follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #1247
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Wait so you do have that custom plate? I think they're pretty cool and want one so bad lol

Haha nah, since I got orange it wouldn't make sense. I do want a custom plate at some point, but not sure what it would say for this one.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #1248
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Was walking back to my car from being inside the bank yesterday and some kid parked next to me in a silver Jetta. He said "cool car" and I could've sworn that he took a pic of it before he walked into the bank.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #1249
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I pulled up to a stoplight and a guy in a Mazda 3 did the "nice Subaru" meme, knowing full well that it is the Scion version. So I'm the jackoff who smiles and says "it's the Scion version," which I do for anyone that says Subaru because some people really don't know and are interested in there being other versions of the car.

He then goes, "yea, but they are the same. Subaru makes the engine" and then he motions to the rest of the car and tells me the body is Subaru too.

WOW REALLY OMGZROLLERCOPTER I DIDN"T KNOW 10/10 MEME!!!!!

What triggers me is knowing that if I said nothing, he would have followed up with "I know it's the Scion, but don't you know it is actually a Subaru!?"

There was no escaping it.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #1250
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
I pulled up to a stoplight and a guy in a Mazda 3 did the "nice Subaru" meme, knowing full well that it is the Scion version. So I'm the jackoff who smiles and says "it's the Scion version," which I do for anyone that says Subaru because some people really don't know and are interested in there being other versions of the car.

He then goes, "yea, but they are the same. Subaru makes the engine" and then he motions to the rest of the car and tells me the body is Subaru too.

WOW REALLY OMGZROLLERCOPTER I DIDN"T KNOW 10/10 MEME!!!!!

What triggers me is knowing that if I said nothing, he would have followed up with "I know it's the Scion, but don't you know it is actually a Subaru!?"

There was no escaping it.
I usually go into a whole spiel about how yes it is made by Subaru and badged as a Scion but is really a Toyota project and how the Subaru version in the same around the rest of the world but the FRS was a Toyota 86 everyplace but North America but then they dropped Scion so that now there are actually three versions here and when they changed the badge to Toyota they added trim levels so it increased the number of variations even more but since the rest of the world always had those trim levels then really it didn't change anything except for here so the FRS version is really the odd one not the newer 86 or Subaru versions .

By the time I am done with them they are so confused that they no longer even want to say "but ya it is really a Subaru".
Old 07-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #1251
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
My co-worker commented on my catback this morning not realizing I've had it for 7 months.
He called it "stealthy". I don't know if I'd call a Corsa "stealthy" I replied. It is subtle when you need it to he.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #1252
RToyo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I usually go into a whole spiel about how yes it is made by Subaru and badged as a Scion but is really a Toyota project and how the Subaru version in the same around the rest of the world but the FRS was a Toyota 86 everyplace but North America but then they dropped Scion so that now there are actually three versions here and when they changed the badge to Toyota they added trim levels so it increased the number of variations even more but since the rest of the world always had those trim levels then really it didn't change anything except for here so the FRS version is really the odd one not the newer 86 or Subaru versions .

By the time I am done with them they are so confused that they no longer even want to say "but ya it is really a Subaru".
I tried explaining this to my girlfriend and her eyes start glazing over.

Whenever her friends ask what I drive no body ever knows that a Toyota 86 is.
My usual response is to ask if they know the FRS/BRZ
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #1253
31x86

Drives: 2014 FR-S, 2021 GR Supra
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
The Lava colour messes with a lot of people's heads. It is rare enough that it seems like it is some exotic instead of a plain old FRS/86 in a flashy outfit.
Very frequently I find that the color combined with the body style breaks necks. Just the other day somebody asked me if it was the new supra lol
14' Hot Lava ZN6 OFT Stg II+ CNT UEL headers- Eibach Sportline springs - 25mm spacers (front-back)- TRD-style rear spoiler - kouki tail lights - Black Winjet headlights - Red Raceseng Ashiko shift knob - Blitz drop-in filter - WORKS ABM - Crawford BPB
31x86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 31x86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #1254
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I tried explaining this to my girlfriend and her eyes start glazing over.

Whenever her friends ask what I drive no body ever knows that a Toyota 86 is.
My usual response is to ask if they know the FRS/BRZ
90% of the "man on the street" conversations I have had started with the person having no clue what the car was at all. It didn't help that Scions of ANY type only existed in my area for about 3 years.
3% Knew there was a connection to Subaru but did not know it was assembled by them.
2% Knew the BRZ even existed.
2% Knew that the 86 existed and that it was just a badge change of the Scion.
2% Knew that the only difference between the three are minor body panel, interior trim and doodads.
1% Thought that they were all just different badged Subarus.

This is one of the worst advertised cars in history and as much as we think people know what we know the overwhelming majority of the public has absolutely no clue as to what it is much less who made it.
Feistyfrog (07-31-2019), RToyo86 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #1255
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I stopped at a Sheetz to grab a snack and saw a nice Evo X with a few mods I thought were cool in the parking lot. Then, I saw a dude in behind me in line at the register with a "LANCER EVOLUTION X" lanyard around his neck. As I was leaving, I stopped and said "That your Evo out front? Very nice" and gave him a thumbs up. I walked out to my car and sat in it for a minute to eat my granola bar and drink some of my coffee. As I was sitting there, he drove by me slowly, looked at my car, pointed and gave me a thumbs up as he drove away. 10/10 car person interaction lol.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #1256
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I literally do not even bother. I go "Do you know what a BRZ or FRS is? ya? It's just a Toyota version of the same thing." I usually then try to change the subject to something mundane unless they are genuinely interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #1257
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I literally do not even bother. I go "Do you know what a BRZ or FRS is? ya? It's just a Toyota version of the same thing." I usually then try to change the subject to something mundane unless they are genuinely interested.
Ya but I actually like interacting with people.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #1258
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ya but I actually like interacting with people.
People like boring simple things, if they're not into it the conversation would spiral into an exhausting exchange of me talking to myself.

I talk to people about what they want to talk about.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #1259
RToyo86

Quote:
90% of the "man on the street" conversations I have had started with the person having no clue what the car was at all. It didn't help that Scions of ANY type only existed in my area for about 3 years.
3% Knew there was a connection to Subaru but did not know it was assembled by them.
2% Knew the BRZ even existed.
2% Knew that the 86 existed and that it was just a badge change of the Scion.
2% Knew that the only difference between the three are minor body panel, interior trim and doodads.
1% Thought that they were all just different badged Subarus.

This is one of the worst advertised cars in history and as much as we think people know what we know the overwhelming majority of the public has absolutely no clue as to what it is much less who made it.
Now that Toyota has moved the 86 name to America it's confused the few people who knew the FRS.
"Oh is that an FRS?" ... No it's a Toyota 86. "Whats the difference" to which I typically respond "the badging"

More often then not when I catch somebody looking at it, they see a Toyota badge and I see their "wtf" face. Then they pace it front to back looking for a letting badge. The funky 86 circle on the fender isn't obvious enough for most people.

The only advertising I've seen for these cars is online, and they're all crap adverts. All of my sweet ride bro encounters are people liking the car and having no idea what it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #1260
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
People like boring simple things, if they're not into it the conversation would spiral into an exhausting exchange of me talking to myself.

I talk to people about what they want to talk about.
Yep and in this case we were talking about people that wanted to talk about the car. You clearly said you would change the subject which is not what they wanted to talk about.