follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #211
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
I have the Swift BRZ springs, thinking about swapping over to these or the ST coilovers. ST are much cheaper obviously but they use a twin tube instead of monotube like the Bilstein. I wish somebody around had both but can anybody compare ride quality between the two?
i have a buddy with ST, haven't gotten the chance to ride or drive in his car yet, he lives close by so maybe i could set something up soon
The Following User Says Thank You to mush For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 04:31 AM   #212
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mush View Post
i have a buddy with ST, haven't gotten the chance to ride or drive in his car yet, he lives close by so maybe i could set something up soon
Still happy with the B14's?
Old 07-09-2015, 02:19 AM   #213
mush

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Still happy with the B14's?
so far, yes
The Following User Says Thank You to mush For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (07-09-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 02:48 AM   #214
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Has anyone found matching blue rear dust covers for the B14s/16's?

I've got to buy a pair of dust covers for the rear, but if I can find Bilstein blue ones instead of the factory black ones that would be great.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #215
mush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Has anyone found matching blue rear dust covers for the B14s/16's?

I've got to buy a pair of dust covers for the rear, but if I can find Bilstein blue ones instead of the factory black ones that would be great.
show car? or are u picky? i only see the dust cover if i lift the car up
Old 07-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #216
Kostamojen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mush View Post
show car? or are u picky? i only see the dust cover if i lift the car up
Its just one of those things that will bug me knowing it exists...
Old 07-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #217
Kostamojen

Question:

On the rears using stock tophats, does the metal "spacer" go below or above the tophat?
Old 07-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #218
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Bump!
Old 07-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #219
NissanGuy

Drives: Strangely.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
^Any plans to discount the coils for 8/6?

If you can get within shouting distance of other vendors' prices I'm thinking of treating the car to a slight drop...

(I still have no clue what that smiley means)
Old 07-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #220
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanGuy View Post
^Any plans to discount the coils for 8/6?

If you can get within shouting distance of other vendors' prices I'm thinking of treating the car to a slight drop...

(I still have no clue what that smiley means)
Those vendors might be shocked to see the cost from Bilstein has increased. They wouldn't know that though as they don't even have real pictures so they probably have never even held a set in their hands. That's what happens when drop shippers list parts for sale. We actually stock them in house, and have real photos plus can support you after the sale.
The Following User Says Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #221
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
I would love a set of these but the canadian $
Old 07-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #222
NissanGuy

Drives: Strangely.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
Those vendors might be shocked to see the cost from Bilstein has increased. They wouldn't know that though as they don't even have real pictures so they probably have never even held a set in their hands. That's what happens when drop shippers list parts for sale. We actually stock them in house, and have real photos plus can support you after the sale.
That might explain why I see differing part numbers around... Any idea what they've updated on the parts?
Old 08-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #223
Kostamojen

OK, I've tested out my B14's a bit now and wanted to post a quick review...

Bilstein B14's with Group-N Top Hats

What are Group-N top hats some of you may say? Well they are OEM Subaru tophats designed for rally back in the day, and considering the BRZ uses the same tophats as pretty much all Imprezas, its a part we can actually use. It consists of much stiffer rubber compounds, however its only available for the front, I had to use standard (actually part numbers from a ~2010-2015 STI) rear top hats.

Combined with the B14's, this makes for a very Street Friendly setup. You don't get the added camber/caster with Camber plates up front, but the stiffer tophats do increase the overall rigidity of the suspension for basically the same price as buying stock tophats new.

Initial Impressions

When I first installed the suspension, I noticed the "bounciness" that other people refer too. Having had coilovers before, I know that bouncy is different from harsh. These B14's are NOT harsh at all! In fact I'd say they are less "harsh" than stock in terms of how they respond to nasty issues with roads.

After a couple weeks, I've grown use to it and they do seem to have broken in a little bit more. During freeway driving or regular driving, I'd say they are no worst than the Racecomp springs I had on my stock shocks in terms of ride/comfort.

During freeway driving, I do find the front end to be a little more "loose". Reminds me of the FRS I test drove now. I think mostly due to the soft front spring rates. The car doesn't require any constant inputs or anything, its not darty on the freeway now which is good IMO.

Autocross Impressions

I did my first Autox with the coilovers and new wheels/tires last Saturday. The car was actually AMAZING IMO. A lot of it had to do with the new tires, but I was a bit frustrated before with my springs because I kept on having to go with different swaybars to get the car to handle correctly during autocross...

This is no longer the case with the B14's! I'm still running the Strano swaybar up front, but I went back to the 14mm bar in the rear. My overall setup also includes a front strut bar, whiteline front endlinks and kartboy rear endlinks with poly bushings for the swaybars and the Subframe support bushings.

The car REALLY likes to rotate with these coilovers, which is what I was looking for. The softer progressive springs up front allowed me to "play" with the weight distribution much more while cornering, allowing small inputs with the wheel or pedals to rotate the car, rather than having to throw it hard into the corner and upset it to get it to rotate. I was VERY pleased with this!

IMO the cars handling character now is more like an FRS than a BRZ, with the greater rear bias in spring rates. However, it doesn't want to step out on you like the FRS does/did stock, it wants you to play with it and make adjustments and decide how much you want to angle the car. Its hard to describe.

I do know some people might not be as happy with this as I am, because they want a car to be very linear and have more of a sudden release of traction with a very stiff spring. But I find this setup to be more "rally-car-ish" where you deal with a suspension thats able to eat up the bumps yet at the same time be able to put the car where you want to.

Impressions for back-road driving/twisities

I took the car out today on my favorite road route. A lot like some of the Youtube car review guys, I drive the same road constantly for fun which lets me compare cars or changes I've made with my car.

When I had the original "basic" setup I started with this car, with the BRZ front springs, FRS rear springs, Strano front swaybar and camber bolts, the car was quite different. The front end was stiffer and the car liked to rotate at a completely different point in the corner than the car does now. Before it would rotate later and only at a specific point, but now with the B14's I can pick and choose when and where I want it to rotate. Again, hard to describe without showing it in person.

The weight shift of this suspension works wonders with back road twisties. I can balance the car while still eating up imperfections in the road. A good example was a large bump (wasn't there before) in the middle of a corner. When the car hit it, it didn't get airborne or get upset, the weight just shifted. I was able to counter it with a slight lift of the gas and turn of the wheel and the car just stayed in the lane and kept going. Before, when I relied on the swaybars more, the car would have stepped out and possibly been unrecoverable.

Conclusion

So yes, this is certainly a VERY good setup for daily driving/street driving, even for non-ultra-competitive Autocross (results are here if you are curious: http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Sacrame...%209%20Raw.htm ). If you want a quality shock with the ability to lower the car, or even run custom springs a latter date and keep the quality shocks, this is certainly a great choice.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kostamojen For This Useful Post:
C4RBON (09-25-2015), dirtbike250x (08-10-2015), kevaughan (04-16-2024), riri86 (11-16-2015), spirit (03-30-2017), yberther (04-26-2016)
Old 08-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #224
xingxingtjf

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Closed Thread