follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Huss

Drives: 2010 civic Si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
frustrated with the scion FRS/BRZ

Ok i really am very frustrated how the dealers in my town are treating potential buyers for the FRS/BRZ. walked in into a couple of them and they offer black book value for my car as soon as i start arguing about that this isn't exactly what my car is worth to me they tell me oh we cant do anything about it and have a nice day. very shitty attitude that makes me not want to buy this car, i mean i understand the hype about this car by why dealers are acting up so much about it. i was really offended today by my local subaru dealer on how rude and ignorant he was about the whole situation can i write to subaru of north america or toyota to them?

i live in canada btw.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I could be totally off base but I'll tell you the first thought that came to my mind. In your third line you use the word "arguing". That isn't the right way to negotiate.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Is you car modded and that's why you don't agree with their price?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
chutrain

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure you understand how a dealership works when it comes to trade in value. Sell it privately and then go back with some cash in hand.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #444/500 (For Sale)
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited - Acquired 9/15/12
chutrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chutrain For This Useful Post:
Jesse (12-01-2012), SkAsphalt (12-04-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
norm24

Drives: TSX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Be glad they're offering the black book value. When I was searching for mine, 5 out of 6 dealerships I visited were offering way below the minimum CBB value for my trade in. And yes, if you don't buy it, the next guy will. Nothing you can do about it. Not even Subaru/Scion corporate can tell their dealers to willingly lose money by offering you a high value for your trade.
norm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
NEVER expect a fair shake on your trade. You give them a profit (assuming they resell for their target) in exchange for the convenience of not having to sell it yourself. I'd suggest you run an Auto Trader ad online and see what response you get.

Don't "expect" anything from a dealer.

Also in AB in general I'd say you are in the maximum seller's market for new goods. In my company (prefab buildings) our guys here who deal out west have made 3-4x what I make for the past several years. It sucks when you're 48 with a family and some 28 yr old is raking it in while I hear crickets in my territory. That is a typical example of how the economy of AB differs so much from the industrial centre (Ontario). Therefore there are fewer "deals" there. Our salespeople routinely gouge Albertans since they seem to be far less price sensitive.

Sorry for drifting off topic. My point is you have other options, private sale, other dealers etc.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
jsooke

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech Yellow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
For a car model in demand, there is somebody right behind you with cash in hand or wanting financing: both easier and more profitable to the dealer. Also, they will want to make money on a trade, and if it is modded a dealer will have a hard time selling.
As mentioned before, sell it first, then go and negotiate. Works way better. Or trade in on a car that is not selling so well.

Jay
Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
l8apexr

Drives: hybrid + racecar + FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Welcome to the real world of the free market economy. All the posts above are spot on. Economics 101: supply vs demand.

Team Lexus IS300 race car
'14 Lexus RX450h Sport Design daily driver
'14 FR-S fri/sat/sun car: SARD LSR wing, Downforce front lip, Mann Engineering dampers, TRDsways, Milltek xhaust, AEM Intake, RAYS 57xtreme, OnPoint Dyno ECUTek tuned: +30rwhp!
l8apexr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to l8apexr For This Useful Post:
mankarn86 (12-05-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Spicer66

Drives: Raven 6 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a similar experience with the dealers in my area (same city as OP). They quoted me $1500 for my trade in and I ended up selling it on kijiji for $4000. The assistant manager is who I dealt with at sherwood park toyota, and he said straight up "just sell it privately, its not worth it".
Spicer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Maybe it is all about expectations, about 5 months before I started seriously shopping for my FR-S I had gone to the Toronto Auto Show and Auto Trader had a display and they were offering swag just for me to value my car through a new App they were introducing. They were ballparking my car at about $9000.

When my Scion dealership valued my car at $12000, I was stoked. The reality probably was that my car was worth a little more than the run of the mill Corolla because it was an XRS and most people don't know what that means, so, Auto Trader probably under valued my car (plus I had virtually new rubber on it).

So, in the end - I probably didn't get a phenomenal offer for my trade, but, because my expectations were low, I felt better about the transaction.

Selling your car to a dealer is fast and easy, but, you will probably make more in a private sale if you have time and are willing to do a little leg work. Unfortunately, with this car it is easy to become enamoured with it and want to do fast and easy. Not only that, but, with how rare they are, a person doesn't want to miss an opportunity to get your hands on one.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Maybe they were just sick of your attitude. You talk like they should be thankful to get your car on trade, at the price you want. Believe me, if they thought it was worth more they wouldn't have let you walk away. They need to make a profit on your trade, and the numbers obviously didn't line up for them. Don't take it personally, it's just business.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
It's already been said, but if they offered you the book value for your car on a trade in you should've jumped at it and thanked them for it! Typically you get far less on a trade in than you can sell for privately, simply because the dealership has to clean up the car and then sell it.

It's also been said, if you want a deal on a car go shop elsewhere. Some dealerships are still working with 30+ person wait lists while they get blocks of 4-5 cars at a time. They're in no rush to sell for less since there's at least half a dozen buyers after you that are willing to pay full price and not negotiate (argue) at all.

If you're after a good buy for a similar car, go pick up a 2012 Genesis coupe, they're practically giving them away!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Dealerships make much more money selling used cars than the new cars on the lot