follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2022, 11:28 PM   #29
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,572 Times in 18,956 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
My BRZ does that from time to time. Just jiggle the steering wheel off the column locks and it starts right up for me at least.
This makes perfect sense. Does it throw the same code?
Old 12-17-2022, 12:24 AM   #30
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you're still interested in translating the video a friend that speaks urdu told me the video is farsi, language of Iran. Try that route.
blsfrs (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 11:02 AM   #31
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
My BRZ does that from time to time. Just jiggle the steering wheel off the column locks and it starts right up for me at least.
That does happen even on cars with a mechanical key, usually when you turn the ignition off and then hang onto the steering wheel when getting out, the steering locks and the tension on the steering column pinches the lock and keeps it from releasing when you try and turn the key back to on.

I don't think I've seen it happen on keyless cars but I guess anything is possible.

But I presume OP's car has been towed to the dealer, and pehaps moved or manipulated a few times, there shouldn't be tension left to pinch the lock anymore.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-17-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 08:53 AM   #32
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
This makes perfect sense. Does it throw the same code?
I’ve never had it throw a code for the issue, but the symptoms are similar.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-18-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:50 PM   #33
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
That was my thought as well, steering lock issue. Roommate had a Civic he couldn't start, sat in the passenger seat with him for five minutes flipping through the manual, told him to turn the steering wheel and voila. I almost always accidentally lock the steering getting out of cars with my thick thighs and my habit of bringing the wheel close and low to me. I don't even think about it anymore, I automatically put a little pressure on the wheel when starting to unlock it.

The aforementioned link is probably it, a harness or sensor issue not allowing the steering lock to disengage, which looks incredibly annoying to fix. And with how shitty dealerships are, printing it out and handing it to your service people will probably be met with "we can't do that it's for an FR-S"
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 05:34 PM   #34
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Considering the FSM DTC description points to the steering lock, and other member experiences are similar in various platforms, sounds like that's at least the right track. If the component itself isn't bad, then I would suspect the wiring. As Strat mentioned, the inexperienced techs might just be too stubborn to admit that they're in over their heads. If that's the case, hopefully SOA can step in with a master tech to help bridge the intelligence gap.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:29 AM   #35
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,002 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
DTC B2782 STEERING LOCK POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION (SMART ECM-SIDE MALFUNCTION)
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The smart key computer ASSY (Collation ECM) has a built-in power supply ECM function.
This diagnosis code is output when it is judged that there is an error in the SLR+ input that is directly input into the steering lock actuator ASSY (Steering lock ECM) from the smart key computer ASSY (Collation ECM).
As the steering lock actuator ASSY (Steering lock ECM) is not connected to CAN communication, CAN communication with external parts is performed via the LIN communication-connected smart key computer ASSY (Collation ECM).
Diagnostic codes - B2782
Detecting conditions - When one of the following conditions are satisfied (1 trip detection).
• Steering lock motor drive indicator circuit short circuit malfunction.
• Steering lock motor drive indicator circuit open malfunction.
NOTE: When the LIN power supply signal and solid line power supply signals are in disagreement, it is judged to be a relative error.
Possible faulty part:
• Steering lock actuator ASSY (Steering lock ECM)
• Smart key computer ASSY (Collation ECM)
• Wiring harness or connector

Diagnostic code output check operation
Steering lock/unlock operation (When the vehicle is stopped)
(Lock: When the door is opened while the shifter is in the P position (Transmission A/T) and the vehicle is set to IG OFF and ACC OFF.
Unlock: When the electrical key transmitter SUB-ASSY (Electronic key) is being carried and the vehicle is set to ACC ON or IG ON.)

Vehicle state and fail safe measures during detection
Vehicle state during detection = Steering lock, unlock cannot be performed. This means that the engine cannot be started.
Fail safe measures during detection = Engine starting is prohibited (Does not perform cranking).
blsfrs (12-22-2022), soundman98 (12-23-2022)

Tags
b2782