follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #43
Sithspawn

Drives: '14 Hot Lava FR-S w/Flappy Paddles
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Update: We tested out the airflow modifications at the track on Tuesday night and we are exactly where we want to be: temps peaked out at 221 degrees Fahrenheit at the end of the last session...after we pulled into the pits. As long as the car was moving, the temps were at 210 degrees coming out of the transmission and 191 degrees on the return (19 degree delta). As soon as we slowed down and air was not moving through the cooler, the temps climbed up to the aforementioned peak.

One other tidbit I've been meaning to write up is about pressure. In an earlier post, I mentioned that the pressure coming out of the transmission in the stock configuration was 8 - 10psi peaking at 13psi. Stock return pressures were 7 - 10psi. With our cooler installed using -6 A/N line (same size as the stock lines), pressure coming out of the transmission is 11 - 13psi peaking at 25psi and the return pressures are 5 - 7psi peaking at 12psi. As you can see, the supply pressures are higher due to the increased restriction of the added line and cooler while the return pressures are lower than stock. Without testing and verification, I would be wary of adding additional restrictions to the system. You could probably get away with it, but not knowing would bug me personally.

Overall, I am pleased with the performance of this system. Hopefully I'll be able to get a vendor account in the next few weeks and have this available as a kit for those that would like the convenience of a prepackaged kit with detailed instructions. I know from experience that sourcing components can be a pain and often costs more than you anticipate.

I just received the results from Blackstone today and attached them below. Blackstone indicated that I can run the fluid to 30k. As you can see, the viscosity is already on the low end of the acceptable range (bottom quarter) with only 1 track day and a couple spirited drives on it with the factory cooler setup. So, while it still has life left in it, it's not 48k worth of life left in it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sithspawn; 11-09-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Sithspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sithspawn For This Useful Post:
Estey (10-15-2014), Wayno (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #44
Estey

Drives: Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
@Sithspawn
Im looking forward to see if you create a nice packaged kit! Ill have to buy one off of you. Ive really been putting off changing my fluid, and your results without the cooler kind of scare me, haha. My mind will be at ease once i swap the fluid and add a cooler.
Im curious to know how much you spent on that gauge. I need to somehow gauge the temp for the fluid change, but i cant break the bank on a gauge :/
Estey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #45
Sithspawn

Drives: '14 Hot Lava FR-S w/Flappy Paddles
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estey View Post
@Sithspawn
Im looking forward to see if you create a nice packaged kit! Ill have to buy one off of you. Ive really been putting off changing my fluid, and your results without the cooler kind of scare me, haha. My mind will be at ease once i swap the fluid and add a cooler.
Im curious to know how much you spent on that gauge. I need to somehow gauge the temp for the fluid change, but i cant break the bank on a gauge :/
Figure about $180 or so for a decent gauge. AEM has a nice transmission temp gauge that goes down to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. According to the factory service manual, the temperature needs to be between 104 and 117 degrees. If you are going to use the gauge for that purpose, get the digital gauge. There is another way to use the factory electronics to let you know when you are in the temperature range. I'll get around to doing a DIY on the transmission fluid change one of these days when I'm not running behind on making paddle shifter extensions.
Sithspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #46
Estey

Drives: Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithspawn View Post
Figure about $180 or so for a decent gauge. AEM has a nice transmission temp gauge that goes down to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. According to the factory service manual, the temperature needs to be between 104 and 117 degrees. If you are going to use the gauge for that purpose, get the digital gauge. There is another way to use the factory electronics to let you know when you are in the temperature range. I'll get around to doing a DIY on the transmission fluid change one of these days when I'm not running behind on making paddle shifter extensions.
Forsure man, If thats the case then Ill probably just wait for your DIY, and save myself from buying a gauge. If its a simple matter of telling if im within the range using factory electronics, then i would really appreciate it if you let me know. I could try it out for myself and then post a DIY as well.
Estey is offline   Reply With Quote