follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

View Poll Results: For those in emission strict states considering UEL headers, would you...
Wait to purchase an UEL header until a emisssion legal version has been released 65 85.53%
Purchase a catless UEL header regardless of vehicle code 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Exclamation Catted UEL Header

The boxer rumble is one of the most recognizable engine sounds in the automotive world. You don't even have to turn around to know that a Subaru passed you by when you hear that deep growl. This is a sound that our FA20 motors could definitely benefit from. Yes there are non-catted versions, but these solutions ignore the majority of the incredible aftermarket that exists in California and other states with strict vehicle emission regulations. To my knowledge, no catted UEL solutions exist at this point.

My objective with this post is to try to start drumming up attention for the need of a catted, UEL header for the BRZ & FRS. I know this is something that would be more appropriately placed in the "exhaust, transmission..." section but I wanted to place this here to get the most exposure for both interested adopters and potential fabricators that can appreciate the benefit of being first to market.

The squeaky wheel gets oiled right?
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjymiller View Post
The boxer rumble is one of the most recognizable engine sounds in the automotive world. You don't even have to turn around to know that a Subaru (maybe FRS) passed you by when you hear that deep growl. This is a sound that our FA20 motors could definitely benefit from. Yes there are non-catted versions, but these solutions ignore the majority of the incredible aftermarket that exists in California and other states with strict vehicle emission regulations. To my knowledge, no catted UEL solutions exist at this point.

My objective with this post is to try to start drumming up attention for the need of a catted, UEL header for the BRZ & FRS. I know this is something that would be more appropriately placed in the "exhaust, transmission..." section but I wanted to place this here to get the most exposure for both interested adopters and potential fabricators that can appreciate the benefit of being first to market.

The squeaky wheel gets oiled right?
Either way it's still illegal in California. You cannot replace OEM cats until (I believe) the 10 year mark. Everything is illegal in California.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gen For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-24-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
Either way it's still illegal in California. You cannot replace OEM cats until (I believe) the 10 year mark. Everything is illegal in California.
Really? Do you have a source? I've heard of cats failing before the 10 year mark.

And wouldn't the system use the OEM cats anyway?
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Darryljr11
Sideways and Smiling!

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
only reason id get one is cuz i dont want my exhaust to smell like shit
Darryljr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Really? Do you have a source? I've heard of cats failing before the 10 year mark.

And wouldn't the system use the OEM cats anyway?
Yes, and you have to replace the cat with an OEM cat if it fails. In fact, I think you're only allowed to replace the OEM cats with aftermarket ones after 10 years if the OEM part is no longer available ANYWHERE. The state would also argue that your emissions equipment has a 10 year manufacturer warranty. I doubt many vendors are going to take on the expense of making their catted UEL header CARB legal. It is excessively expensive to do.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...ftermktcat.htm

"Aftermarket catalytic converters must be exempted from California's anti-tampering laws in order to be legally sold and installed in the state. If an aftermarket catalytic converter is shown to be durable and meets vehicle emission control requirements, it is granted an exemption Executive Order (EO) that allows it to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles."
The Following User Says Thank You to Gen For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-24-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Overland'n'5thGEN

Drives: 5th Gen Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I would be interested in a catted UEL!!!!!!!

sent from a Galaxy SIII...
Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
Yes, and you have to replace the cat with an OEM cat if it fails. In fact, I think you're only allowed to replace the OEM cats with aftermarket ones after 10 years if the OEM part is no longer available ANYWHERE...
That reference page you linked is interesting. From my brief scan of it, it would seem CA used to allow a number of non OEM manufacturers to provide replacecment cats. They have since redacted that status of all, or some of these manufacturers but I can't determine.

If CA still allows for some aftermarket replacement cats, is it possible that a header manufacturer can pair up with an approved replacement cat producer to create a state approved header?
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
Gen

Quote:
That reference page you linked is interesting. From my brief scan of it, it would seem CA used to allow a number of non OEM manufacturers to provide replacecment cats. They have since redacted that status of all, or some of these manufacturers but I can't determine.

If CA still allows for some aftermarket replacement cats, is it possible that a header manufacturer can pair up with an approved replacement cat producer to create a state approved header?
I'm not savvy enough in the law to know if you can simply approve the cat or if the entire header needs to be approved for the vehicle. My guess would be the latter. Even if it's the former, it has to be approved for this specific car for this specific year, it's not a blanket approval. CA smog laws are really terrible.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
Tim_Asphalt_FRS
Is it fast? No.

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Manual-Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

The only solution I can think of is to have a header where you can cut the stock cat out and weld it onto a new header. This kit would have to then be submitted to CARB and then approved. I think it's a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 (Rebadged) Toyota GT-86 {Perrin intake tube, aFe dry air filter, custom 2.5" exhaust, PLM overpipe, Kartboy crank pulley, Hotchkis springs, custom Flossy grip tape shorty, TRD shifter, Berk HFC, Whiteline Sway-bars}
[Wanted: Delicious Stg 2 tune, Bilstein struts]
Tim_Asphalt_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim_Asphalt_FRS For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #10
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Asphalt_FRS View Post
The only solution I can think of is to have a header where you can cut the stock cat out and weld it onto a new header. This kit would have to then be submitted to CARB and then approved. I think it's a long shot.

I seem to recall CARB approval costing many thousands of dollars--as in more than the car actually costs. I can't speak from first hand experience, however.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:18 AM   #11
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Just run stuff with cats. Then come inspection time, just swap back to stock.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #12
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Even if someone makes a catted header, will anyone CARB certify it?

I don't think I've seen a WRX catted downpipe with a CARB sticker - making it illegal in CA (and maybe other states). Same issue with the header - even if someone does a catted version, it only helps the air, not the legality of the car in CA.

I'm uneducated on the header cat - is it like a pre-cat for early emission controls before the main cat(s?) are heated/operating? Ie, once the engine/exhaust is warm, does this car help reduce pollution or is redundant?

I'd love to get more boxer rumble from this car for sure!
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Tim_Asphalt_FRS
Is it fast? No.

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Manual-Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Just run stuff with cats. Then come inspection time, just swap back to stock.
The only problem with that is if you are asked to pop your hood if you get pulled over.

2013 (Rebadged) Toyota GT-86 {Perrin intake tube, aFe dry air filter, custom 2.5" exhaust, PLM overpipe, Kartboy crank pulley, Hotchkis springs, custom Flossy grip tape shorty, TRD shifter, Berk HFC, Whiteline Sway-bars}
[Wanted: Delicious Stg 2 tune, Bilstein struts]
Tim_Asphalt_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I'm afraid the only option for you is to vote out those fascist assholes in your state government.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Tim_Asphalt_FRS (05-24-2013), YourFearlessLeader (05-24-2013)