follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #43
oaroyale

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here's the DOT recall check website

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
oaroyale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRider42HC View Post
Thank you so much!!! I got a quote for the repair typed-up and will be sending it to Toyota to see if they will reimburse me for the repairs.

Appreciated!!! ^_^
No they are not going to reimburse anything. They will do the repairs and that is that.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #45
CamoFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
No they are not going to reimburse anything. They will do the repairs and that is that.
That's correct. The letter I received made it clear that they would only reimburse you if you had paid for these repairs prior to being notified of the recall. Going forward they will only cover it if you take your car to a Toyota dealer.

When I get a minute, I'll try to upload the customer reimbursement checklist that came with the letter.

Unrelated: Tcoat - Thanks for all of your contributions to this forum. I've been a lurker since I bought my FRS back in 2013 and you always seemed to pop up with helpful information on the DIY, TSB, and general posts. Just wanted to send some appreciation your way.
CamoFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CamoFRS For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-22-2019), Tcoat (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #46
CamoFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Here is the reimbursement information I received with the recall notice. It looks like some of this may be state specific, so I don't know if the same applies outside of California.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Toyota Customer Reimbursement Checklist.pdf (143.9 KB, 201 views)
CamoFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CamoFRS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-21-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #47
Bart1

Drives: Porsche, MINI, Jeep - No flat 4 yet
I got a letter in the mail last week and they ordered parts and I took it in yesterday. They gave me a loaner. They are also replacing the clutch "while they are in there" for a half hour of labor. I asked about spark plugs and was quoted over $200 to do them, I may ask again. It is an engine out job, at least at this dealer.
Bart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #48
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart1 View Post
I got a letter in the mail last week and they ordered parts and I took it in yesterday. They gave me a loaner. They are also replacing the clutch "while they are in there" for a half hour of labor. I asked about spark plugs and was quoted over $200 to do them, I may ask again. It is an engine out job, at least at this dealer.
I got the same quote for the clutch work, a half hour of labor ( so about $50). They are doing plugs for me with no labor and just parts (probably $65-70 with markup). I'd make sure the service attendant quoting you for these services realizes that the plugs are going to get removed as part of the recall work and will not incur additional labor in their removal / installation.

I can't guarantee this will change their mind of course, but I'd have them confer with a technician if they are sure it'll take 2 extra hours..
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Teseo (02-08-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #49
beastman5

Drives: non
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Im supercharged...will they do the work?
beastman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #50
Bart1

Drives: Porsche, MINI, Jeep - No flat 4 yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I got the same quote for the clutch work, a half hour of labor ( so about $50). They are doing plugs for me with no labor and just parts (probably $65-70 with markup). I'd make sure the service attendant quoting you for these services realizes that the plugs are going to get removed as part of the recall work and will not incur additional labor in their removal / installation.

I can't guarantee this will change their mind of course, but I'd have them confer with a technician if they are sure it'll take 2 extra hours..
Called back and talked to the same guy, but they are already through with the car. This time he said they would have done it for no labor charge and only plugs. Is there a good DIY posted for doing it anywhere?
Bart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #51
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Just a question to see if I understand the concept for the recall job (no extra work): If the dealer is allotted 12 hours for the job then wouldn't they would have an incentive to complete it in less time, thus effectively 'banking' the hours they didn't use? And if they take longer than 12 hours, then would they be losing money based on the extra time? If this is true then it seems they are being incentivized to do the job as quickly as possible, which would very likely contribute to a lower quality job? I realize shops cannot afford to have slow workers and make sure their mechanics are not slow but this recall seems like it would encourage overly quick work more than the typical job.

Thanks

Oh, btw, Stevens Creek Subaru told me yesterday that SOA kind of dropped this in their lap and they do not have any tech trained or any of the "kits" (assume parts/instructions) for the job yet and it will be at least until mid Feb until they can start doing it. And they did say free (just parts cost) for spark plugs and "nominal" labor plus parts for clutch.
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #52
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWBRZ View Post
Just a question to see if I understand the concept for the recall job (no extra work): If the dealer is allotted 12 hours for the job then wouldn't they would have an incentive to complete it in less time, thus effectively 'banking' the hours they didn't use? And if they take longer than 12 hours, then would they be losing money based on the extra time? If this is true then it seems they are being incentivized to do the job as quickly as possible, which would very likely contribute to a lower quality job? I realize shops cannot afford to have slow workers and make sure their mechanics are not slow but this recall seems like it would encourage overly quick work more than the typical job.

Thanks

Oh, btw, Stevens Creek Subaru told me yesterday that SOA kind of dropped this in their lap and they do not have any tech trained or any of the "kits" (assume parts/instructions) for the job yet and it will be at least until mid Feb until they can start doing it. And they did say free (just parts cost) for spark plugs and "nominal" labor plus parts for clutch.

That’s how every single repair works. Subaru pays the dealership 12 hours, the tech gets paid 12 hours (flat rate). If it takes 12, that’s ok. If it take 10, you beat it a bit. If it take 20, well that sucks.

Every job you do pays a certain amount. Say an oil change is 0.5, wipers for 0.1, rotate and balance for 0.6. That job pays 1.2 hours. If the tech gets it done in 0.8, he still gets paid 1.2.

But there’s a balance. If you mess up, you’re working for free. If the car comes back the next day with the same (or a new) issue, you’re working on it for free. You work fast enough to make money, and slow enough to do a good job. This is what a tech does for a living. If they’re a hack they get fired. No one wants to get fired.

Edit: The brand I work under says warranty time should be 110% efficiency, if it pays 3.3 hours a skilled tech should be able to get it done in 3.0. Customer pay work is generally bumped a bit more, 130% efficiency or so.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
PWBRZ (01-24-2019), Teseo (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #53
Cdunc

Drives: Frs
They are going to lose money on my car. They performed the service last week. I was driving the car Tuesday night and after parking saw a black streak on the road. Massive oil leak. Towed it back to the dealer yesterday. Heard back from them that the valve cover was not installed correctly and some part was loose and shot out the timing cover. Now they need to remove engine again, repair parts and make sure nothing else was damaged.
Cdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #54
vagthomas

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdunc View Post
They are going to lose money on my car. They performed the service last week. I was driving the car Tuesday night and after parking saw a black streak on the road. Massive oil leak. Towed it back to the dealer yesterday. Heard back from them that the valve cover was not installed correctly and some part was loose and shot out the timing cover. Now they need to remove engine again, repair parts and make sure nothing else was damaged.
Wow... That sucks...
Just a small question.. Are we talking about 86 or brz? I would expect something like this from Toyota (after all what do they know of boxers??) but not Subaru!

Στάλθηκε από το CLT-L29 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
vagthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #55
Cdunc

Drives: Frs
Mine is a Toyota FRS and dealership is Toyota.
Cdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #56
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdunc View Post
I will ask about a short block replacement
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote