follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #57
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
A local here tested it and still hit 250F+ n/a. Though it did stabalize the temps much faster when slowing. This was on a day where it was 90F out so could be climate dependant too

Basically if you drive hard enough to really beed a cooler the NED is a compromise at best. And if its just a daily then you probably dont even need the NED. But datalogging would answer all these Qs for OPs specific case

Agreed. An air:oil cooler is much better at shedding heat, but to keep it streetable in cold weather, the cost of extra parts plus the basic kit itself make it a much larger financial pill to swallow. If the car is a dedicated track rat, then I'd do it, but if you're going to daily it and only hit 3-4 track days/year, then the NED setup seems a better solution when you factor in cost, plus the added bonus of getting the oil to operating temps quicker. Everything is a compromise in some way...
Old 08-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #58
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Agreed. An air:oil cooler is much better at shedding heat, but to keep it streetable in cold weather, the cost of extra parts plus the basic kit itself make it a much larger financial pill to swallow. If the car is a dedicated track rat, then I'd do it, but if you're going to daily it and only hit 3-4 track days/year, then the NED setup seems a better solution when you factor in cost, plus the added bonus of getting the oil to operating temps quicker. Everything is a compromise in some way...
There is Jackson Racing dual radiator/oil cooler which is is liquid-to-liquid and suitable for daily and winter driving.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #59
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
There is Jackson Racing dual radiator/oil cooler which is is liquid-to-liquid and suitable for daily and winter driving.

True, but at ~$900 plus shipping, it's the most expensive solution yet. But if you're buying, I'll take two.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #60
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
True, but at ~$900 plus shipping, it's the most expensive solution yet. But if you're buying, I'll take two.
Price is just like a catback which has no function other than sound. I will actually buy the dual radiator instead which will help with performance and reliability by keeping the heat in check. I think it is well worth the price.

I have the STI OEM oil cooler but I don't think it is helping enough with my FI engine.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #61
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I thought the cam timing required pressure. That makes it do both?
Haha.... oil pressure. Variable valve timing is driven hydraulically.

But, yes. No matter what the oil temp, change it and the filter regularly and don't run your oil level too low (or too high!)

And enjoy a good cup of cappuccino every now and then.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #62
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Price is just like a catback which has no function other than sound. I will actually buy the dual radiator instead which will help with performance and reliability by keeping the heat in check. I think it is well worth the price.

I have the STI OEM oil cooler but I don't think it is helping enough with my FI engine.

OP is NA, so issues associated with FI don't apply here. The JR radiator is nice quality, I'm sure, but for that money he could get a Koyo or Mishimoto radiator AND the NED setup and still have money left over for a couple of trackdays...
Old 08-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #63
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
3-4 days a year is a lot. And $500 is still a lot cheaper then a new engine.

But it's OP's engine. Like I said, simple data logging would give the definitive answer. No need to upgrade the radiator on this car as nobody seems to have hit its limit yet

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #64
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
My father was obsessed that gas stations used Varsol to cut the fuel and make more money and that by them doing tis they ruined his cars (the reality was that 100K+ with no oil change tends to cause issues).
I tried in vain to point out the economic reality of this but he never understood.

Retail Price: $12.99 gallon (4L)

Retail price $2 a gallon

Even at wholesale cost it makes no sense whatsoever for anybody to use a material that retails for $12 to stretch a product that sells for $2.
That is not even considering that many paint thinners are barely even combustible much less flammable enough to use as a fuel additives.
Here in aus down under , things don't always work in a logical dollar cost way.
If someone owns a painting business and a petrol station , guess where any bulk unusable chemicals might be going.
Here , diesel , E10 and 91 are suspect.
Because of oil companies marketing 98 as their cleanest , best grade fuel , contamination of this is very rare.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #65
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
Here in aus down under , things don't always work in a logical dollar cost way.
If someone owns a painting business and a petrol station , guess where any bulk unusable chemicals might be going.
Here , diesel , E10 and 91 are suspect.
Because of oil companies marketing 98 as their cleanest , best grade fuel , contamination of this is very rare.
I saw a documentary about the fuel situation there once.

alan.chalkley (08-12-2017), funwheeldrive (08-11-2017), jubella2 (08-11-2017), MJones_RB (08-11-2017), strat61caster (08-11-2017), Ultramaroon (08-11-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #66
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Haha.... oil pressure. Variable valve timing is driven hydraulically.

But, yes. No matter what the oil temp, change it and the filter regularly and don't run your oil level too low (or too high!)

And enjoy a good cup of cappuccino every now and then.
You know what? It's all because the sensor people like to watch is all about pressure, otherwise I'd be a lot more confident I know nothing about it. Silly assumptions. They didn't teach me much in drawing class about hydraulics, I've gotta say. Well, sometimes the one (male) model that was pierced, I guess if it was a bit chilly it could cause some embarrassing hydraulics demonstrations...

I'll stick to the cuppa. And the machine has a leak somewhere, I'm guessing at the heating element again. Gotta roast more decaf too, I like it shaken over ice with a bit of goldschlager and bailey's and kahlua in the mix, but I'm out... boo.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:47 AM   #67
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
OP is NA, so issues associated with FI don't apply here. The JR radiator is nice quality, I'm sure, but for that money he could get a Koyo or Mishimoto radiator AND the NED setup and still have money left over for a couple of trackdays...
Radiator upgrade alone will not help on track. What's needed on track is, first of all, an effective oil cooler. AND NED setup is not sufficient for track, even for NA. These are discussed and confirmed so many times in this forum. I wouldn't risk my engine to save just a few hundred bucks.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #68
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Just thought I'd throw in the 2017 UK has an oil temp gauge and it stabilises just over 90*C and pretty much stays there. I haven't ragged the car yet though. When the 1000 miles are up I'll get to pin it to the red line a few times and see if the oil temp rises much.

As to reliability mods. Velcro sticky strips for the rattles would be good.
Tcoat (08-11-2017), Ultramaroon (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #69
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Radiator upgrade alone will not help on track. What's needed on track is, first of all, an effective oil cooler. AND NED setup is not sufficient for track, even for NA. These are discussed and confirmed so many times in this forum. I wouldn't risk my engine to save just a few hundred bucks.
I didn't say just to replace the radiator alone. And there's plenty of people who say NA needs no additional cooling and choosing the correct oil is the more appropriate solution, so the NED is a fair compromise. It does 80% of what an air:oil cooler does for less than 50% of the money, and has added functional benefits that air:oil units don't. And I only brought up the radiator replacement because the JR unit IS a radiator swap. My point was you could replace the OEM radiator with a better unit AND get the NED cooler for a fraction of the price of the JR.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the NED does a better job of cooling oil than a more expensive air:oil unit. I'm simply saying that for someone with an NA motor and NO oil cooler at the moment, the NED cooler is the best value in terms of price versus effectiveness. And as far as 'risking' the engine goes, you seem to be willing to risk your motor and the rest of the driveline by going forced induction, so be careful in that glass house.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #70
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Your supercharged engine will not last as long as a stock one under the same conditions. You gotta pay to play.

Reliable is a subjective.
Is there a way to supercharge your engine WITHOUT sacrificing reliability? What about all those cars that come from the factory with superchargers/turbochargers? Do they have a higher maintenance factor built into the warranty, or is it a matter of pushing the tolerances to the limit?

I know Mitsubishi's EVOs had a more frequent maintenance schedule than the simple Lancer, same with the STi version of the Impreza.

MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote