follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Should the Toyota version of the FT-86 be a Scion or Toyota in North America?
Toyota 95 87.16%
Scion 14 12.84%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #57
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re View Post
Scion means no factory options beyond the manual/auto choice. Which means I'm that much less likely to get LSD from the factory or a hatch. That's why I care.
If anything it seems like there'd be more options for Scion, given that it's the brand that emphasizes customizing and tuning--for better or for worse. I doubt brand identity would impact your choice of options much.

Perception-wise, Toyota branding would feel more mature and grown up, but seems like that's a double-edged sword too.
Aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #58
enc0re

Drives: BMW 325i (E46)
'No options' is part of the Scion strategy. You can only choose dealer installed stuff.

And I won't pay dealer rates to have an LSD installed. For reference, the Scion tC LSD is $1,350 and they'll charge you at least $1,000 to install it.
enc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #59
matadormi5

Drives: GTI MK5
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re View Post
'No options' is part of the Scion strategy. You can only choose dealer installed stuff.

And I won't pay dealer rates to have an LSD installed. For reference, the Scion tC LSD is $1,350 and they'll charge you at least $1,000 to install it.
Worst case scenario, you can always buy the TRD LSD and install it yourself or bring it somewhere else.
You'll get what you want in the end.
matadormi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #60
enc0re

Drives: BMW 325i (E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadormi5 View Post
Worst case scenario, you can always buy the TRD LSD and install it yourself or bring it somewhere else.
You'll get what you want in the end.
I would. That's my point. But I'd much rather just have a factory warrantied one as an option for $500. And they usually run only that much as a factory option.
enc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #61
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Some sales figures from http://www.helloscion.com/en/History.aspx

2004: 99,259
2005: 156,485
2006: 173,034
2007: 130,181
2008: 113,904
2009: 57,961
2010: Only Jan and Feb numbers (6,062 in 2 months extrapolate that to est. 36,372 for the year).

Will the FT86 be well-served by this poorly-performing brand?

Will the future of Toyota sports cars be well-served by making the FT86 a Scion?

There is no way that the FT86 as a Scion will help them recover 100,000 units per year, even by the trickle-down sales effect of a halo car, leading people into xB's or tC's.

Kill the goddamn brand already and free up corporate resources for engineering. Toyota tried almost the exact same system as GM did with Saturn (youth oriented, fixed pricing, a different 'feel'). It didn't work for GM and it's not working for Toyota.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #62
matadormi5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Will the FT86 be well-served by this poorly-performing brand?

Will the future of Toyota sports cars be well-served by making the FT86 a Scion?

There is no way that the FT86 as a Scion will help them recover 100,000 units per year, even by the trickle-down sales effect of a halo car, leading people into xB's or tC's.

Kill the goddamn brand already and free up corporate resources for engineering. Toyota tried almost the exact same system as GM did with Saturn (youth oriented, fixed pricing, a different 'feel'). It didn't work for GM and it's not working for Toyota.
The Scion brand was made because of the failed "Project Genesis"

Project Genesis included selling the latest generation MR2 spyder, Celica, and Echo under the Toyota badge. None of which saw successful or consistent sales figures. Toyota scrapped "Project Genesis" and soon after they began Scion.

I'm betting Toyota is following the "history repeats itself" mantra with the FT86, and probably secretly hoping to show GM that they Scion was/is better than Saturn.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #63
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
The Scion brand was made because of the failed "Project Genesis"

Project Genesis included selling the latest generation MR2 spyder, Celica, and Echo under the Toyota badge. None of which saw successful or consistent sales figures. Toyota scrapped "Project Genesis" and soon after they began Scion.

I'm betting Toyota is following the "history repeats itself" mantra with the FT86, and probably secretly hoping to show GM that they Scion was/is better than Saturn.
Project genesis failed because they didn't bother to make an awd turbo Celica for that generation, and only put 130hp in the MR-S while making it woefully impractical and charging $25k for it (still love them both to bits though). The Echo was just....... slow and ugly

Here, the product failed as well as the marketing.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #64
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Project genesis failed because they didn't bother to make an awd turbo Celica for that generation, and only put 130hp in the MR-S while making it woefully impractical and charging $25k for it (still love them both to bits though). The Echo was just....... slow and ugly

Here, the product failed as well as the marketing.
My opinion is that the product was made to fit the marketing (in this case targeting Generation Y), and not the other (proper) way around of starting with a good product and trying to figure out how to sell it to as many people as possible.

Marketing demographics are very fluid and can change rapidly, designing a product line (especially a very expensive investment-requirement one like a car) around a specific demographic is retarded. This may work well in the short term, but as shown by Scion's RAPIDLY declining sales, not so much in the long term as the target evolves and changes.

And check this out, bios on the people in charge of the Scion site I got the numbers from, which hasn't been updated since early last year (signs of things to come?).

http://www.helloscion.com/Bio.aspx

Jack Hollis, VP Scion; and Dawn Ahmed, Corporate Manager Scion.

Read these bios, and ask yourself if these people have ANY business being involved with the performance side of a automotive company.

Because titanium.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #65
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
that's the best thing I've seen in a long time.
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011...-s-in-usa.aspx

Dimman. Were you disguised as h3ae86 on that page? The last sentence just sounds like something you would say. Or someone else really shares your opinion.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #66
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011...-s-in-usa.aspx

Dimman. Were you disguised as h3ae86 on that page? The last sentence just sounds like something you would say. Or someone else really shares your opinion.
Not long enough, and not enough hateful ranting to be me. Heh...

(My sig is a WAY toned down version if what I really feel...)

Edit:

I appreciate how this guy thinks (wonder if he really is a former Toyota rep, and sure hope the 'confirmation' isn't true...):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Toyota Rep
Straight from Toyota headquarters, at a meeting for Canadian Toyota Dealers the long delayed FT-86//FR-S was confirmed as a Scion for North America and not a Toyota. While working for Toyota I always took issue with the fact that they are so easily led around by their marketing company, constantly failing to realize that they are doing pointless marketing for the sake of marketing with the Scion badge especially in a tiny market like Canada. The announcement that the FT-86/FR-S was going to be sold as a Scion was a real blow to morale at our dealership, another missed step by corporate robo-execs who have lost touch with the market.

Because titanium.

Last edited by Dimman; 02-19-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #67
matadormi5

Quote:
My opinion is that the product was made to fit the marketing (in this case targeting Generation Y), and not the other (proper) way around of starting with a good product and trying to figure out how to sell it to as many people as possible.
We won't know until it goes on sale, but Scion could be creating a marketing scheme made specifically for this car. Car companies stir up new mottos, taglines, etc etc. all the time. Some even go through a complete re-imagination. There is the chance that Scion will be "reborn".
If this "new scion" is all about giving more cool cars then I'm all for it.

If they think they can just squeeze the 86 into the current Scion then I will have to side with all of you saying it will end badly.

Quote:
Marketing demographics are very fluid and can change rapidly, designing a product line (especially a very expensive investment-requirement one like a car) around a specific demographic is retarded. This may work well in the short term, but as shown by Scion's RAPIDLY declining sales, not so much in the long term as the target evolves and changes.
Depends on how specific. If you only target 18yr old males, that's too specific, because you're right in saying their ideals and preferences change each generation. I think Scion right now is just on the edge of being too specific.

Car brands are purposely geared towards a set group of people. If everyone was making everything it'd be a bit strange. Buick is geared towards the older individual in a way that Subaru would never be, or probably would never want to be. When you target a general age group, you can be assured that the there will always be a new set to replace the old (When teens become adults, kids become teens and thus fills the void. cycle cycle cycle.)

I think Scion's decline in sales is due more to the fact that they haven't made any progress since their debut line. The newest model they've added is the tC and that was all the way back in 2004/05 and it's revamp this year isn't as great as it should be.

The 2nd generation of the xB and the xA/xD weren't great leaps forward either. Added onto that the countless hoards of "release edition" models with nothing more than fancy paint and a higher price tag.

When has company made more money by not doing anything? Hopefully they are now aware of this.

I'll give Toyota/Scion the benefit of the doubt on this one. They should take care of those extra lives while they still got'em.

Last edited by matadormi5; 02-20-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #68
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
Quote:
We won't know until it goes on sale, but Scion could be creating a marketing scheme made specifically for this car. Car companies stir up new mottos, taglines, etc etc. all the time. Some even go through a complete re-imagination.
Sounds like the Chevy Cruze -- which is a big load of fail IMO.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:53 AM   #69
matadormi5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly.Andrew View Post
Sounds like the Chevy Cruze -- which is a big load of fail IMO.
Prefer the Cruze to the Cobalt. kinda.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #70
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
Quote:
Prefer the Cruze to the Cobalt. kinda.
Ok, I can agree with that -- but its still a fail campaign.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote