follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
FyeaFRS

Drives: 1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type-M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spec-D Headlights & Morimoto D2S HID Kit

So I picked up the Spec-D heads and tails and installed them both with little effort. I have had my bumper off and on for various things so I wasn't really worried about the actual installation. No complaints so far with any of the housings. The tails were a breeze being simple plug and play. I have not yet hooked up the boomerang or the in-housing turn signals, still toying with wiring ideas.

I had the Diode Dynamics HID kit w/relay harness on the factory lights and read that they wouldn't really work with the Spec-D lights, so I picked up the Morimoto D2S kit reading that D2S bulbs were a really good fit for the housing.

It looks like I'm going to have to take the headlights back out to properly install the HIDs now that I have my hands on the Morimoto kit and see now how it all goes together.

I'll try to take pics along the way for anyone else who may want to run the same setup because it looks like it's going to be just a bit of a hassle.
FyeaFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
FyeaFRS

Okay, so the Morimoto D2S HID Kit will NOT fit these headlights. The bulb fits just fine and seats well. This giant box that attaches to the bulb doesn't fit in the housing at all and I'm not about to cut the housings to make it fit.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
FyeaFRS

So if someone who is running an HID kit on the Spec-D headlights would tell us what kit their using and where you got it from, that would be super..
Old 04-05-2015, 12:49 AM   #4
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Get generic rubber dome caps for those
Old 04-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
FyeaFRS

Problem is you'd have to cut the housing to make a notch for the wires coming out of that box, and a slightly large one at that because they go on and then rotate to lock. You can''t get those boxes to even attach to the back of the bulb with the bulb already installed.

Decided to pickup the H1 bulbs for my diode dynamics kit and see how it looks.

It seems as though there's little info about using HIDs on these lights. I know fteightysix sells them pre-modded with the morimoto kit, but I can't imagine they'd still be covered under warranty from spec-d if they're cut up like that to fit the kit.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Contact TRS.

Those ballasts have the ignitors as part of the socket, you need in-line ignitors.

What you need:

- AMP ballast: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VSH4t4t0yUk

- AMP to D2S connector (90 degree or straight): http://www.theretrofitsource.com/acc...l#.VSH40ot0yUk
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/acc...l#.VSH41It0yUk
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I used Amp > D2S adapters and I'm still using my ballasts from my H11 setup on my Spec D headlights. Just modified it to work with these bulbs and saved money. I think I want to retrofit the projectors though because I don't think they are near as good as the OEM ones.

Last edited by 2016 Camaro SS; 04-14-2015 at 02:33 PM.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
FyeaFRS

I ordered the Morimoto HID Kit for $160 from fteightysix.com and had to pay to send that back (they even sent the wrong bulb temps). I then called and talked to a guy at Diode Dynamics who said I couldn't use my old ballasts but could use the same relay harness. At the time I didn't realize that "AMP" was referring to the connectors the ballasts were using and not some kind of power rating thing I ended up buying one of their "D2 Ballasts" to see what the difference was and all that since the pics on the site didn't show the important parts. It ended up being the exact same ballast from my 2 year old h11 kit with the only difference being the D2 plug was fabricated directly into the ballast wiring. So now I have to spend more money to return that.

I'd like to think the DD guy wasn't trying to trick me into buying $160 worth of new ballasts I didn't need, but whatever.

In the end all it took were $15 Morimoto straight adapters with $9 grommets I picked up from theretrofitsource.com and D2S bulbs at $40 a pair. Luckily I had ordered 6000k bulbs from DD when I ordered that wasted ballasts and used those.

Even if I felt like using the DD D2 ballasts, the bulb plug is on two unsheathed/loose wires that you couldn't really add grommets too to help seal the housing, which you would have to really butcher to fit.

*Update: Looks like Diode Dynamics are going to be bros and send me a return label for the D2 ballast, well done.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #9
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
This thread is actually very helpful to future owners of these headlights. Things to take from this:

AMP Ballasts are used
AMP > D2S adapters are needed for D2S Bulbs

I did the AMP > D2S straight adapters and had no problems with fitment. Worked really well.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #10
tofux86

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s ultramarine blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i recently bought the hid kit and spec d headlight. just try to figure out where all the connection comes together. bulb connect to amp > d2s adapters. then to the ballast. where does the other wiring connect to ?
tofux86 is offline   Reply With Quote