follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2021, 01:15 AM   #1
Shawnio

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Questions about interior LED strips

So i was just able to get some GCS Interior lighting strips for my FR-S and so after making sure all the stuff came alright, me and i my friend began discussing on how we would install them. The issue being that there are two ways to do it. One is through the cigarette lighter in the glove box or we could add a fuse with the interior fuse box. I felt like the add a fuse while a bit more difficult would be best as it would be neater and take up less space. And although it hasn’t been tested yet i was hoping to plug it in the fuse space for fog lights since i don’t have any so hopefully i could turn them on and off with the lights without having to turn my headlights fully on if i want it on during the day. But his point of view was it that it would be simpler if i need to remove it all together or if there would be issues and that it’s best not to mess with the fuse box at all. Is there any recommendations or advice with this type of installation?

Another smaller question is about the actual placement of them. Being that 4 strips came and so the two obvious spots would be for the footwell lights. And while the installation people recommend to put them under the seat on the rail i feel like that would be a waste and there has been stories of sliding the seat and crunching them. And i looked into maybe trying to get them through the door panel to put under the rest on the doors but i haven’t been able to find any tutorials about that so it’s probably a no go. So my question is if theres any other good spots that one would recommend to put the extra two strips or should i just store them in case of emergency. Any advice would help.
Shawnio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:39 AM   #2
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
installed mine using add a fuse. wiring was decently tucked away, what doesnt help is how long the wires are. I had to bunch and tie up a couple of inches so nothing would be dangling on the driver's side. running behind the center console between pass and driver was kind of a pain.

i only used the 2 strips for the front, kept spares for back up. i took out my backseats anyway

prob wanna prep the sticking surface as best you can before mounting. the tape they provide you kinda sucks
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
Shawnio

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post
installed mine using add a fuse. wiring was decently tucked away, what doesnt help is how long the wires are. I had to bunch and tie up a couple of inches so nothing would be dangling on the driver's side. running behind the center console between pass and driver was kind of a pain.

i only used the 2 strips for the front, kept spares for back up. i took out my backseats anyway

prob wanna prep the sticking surface as best you can before mounting. the tape they provide you kinda sucks
Thank you.
And did you add it to a fuse slot that always give power when the car is on? Or did you do another specific slot.
Shawnio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #4
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
i used the same slot they used here.

actually, i pretty much did what they did in the vid but without the lights in the back underneath the seats

beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
footwell lights, gcs, interior led kit, led strips