follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #855
sixthree

Drives: 14BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have my recall appointment with subaru in 2 weeks. 120,000 miles on my engine and no issues so far (95% highway driven). Should I cancel or proceed?!?!?!?!?!?!
sixthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #856
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthree View Post
Have my recall appointment with subaru in 2 weeks. 120,000 miles on my engine and no issues so far (95% highway driven). Should I cancel or proceed?!?!?!?!?!?!
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-24-2019), Teseo (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #857
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Failure After J02 Recall - Discussion Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Picked up my car finally yesterday with the new engine installed. So far, other than a lot of vibration at idle which is smoothing out the more I drive it (tech said give it a week or two for the ECU to "learn"), it's running great. They overfilled the oil again, as usual... at least an inch above the "high" mark, higher than it was back when I was worried about myself doing it in another thread (or maybe this one) and drained a quart.. but I'm going to not worry about it this time.

They also filled it with "blue" coolant.. I couldnt' see it in the reservoir and thought they had neglected to top it off after the initial fill, so I went to top it off and started adding the Toyota/Scion/Lexus red stuff I keep on hand. Well, I added about a cup and blue started showing in the filler neck. Sigh. They had filled it with the blue stuff, and I couldn't see the line through the plastic even w/ a flashlight. I siphoned off about the same amount I had added, but it had mixed instantly. The red stuff I use is Zerex Asian formula. Somebody reassure me that mixing a cup of that with the blue stuff the dealership used isn't an issue. Also, somebody reassure me that the dealership didn't screw up, and that the blue coolant is the correct coolant. Searched, but there doesn't seem to be any definitive answer because most of the OAT and HOAT coolants can be pink OR blue, or yellow... I know to stay away from the orange "Dex-cool" stuff.

Probably should have started another coolant thread... nah... lol. Thanks in advance.

Zerex Asian is basically the same thing as Subaru Supper Coolant but half the cost. Same manufacturer even. Zerex Asian comes in red and blue but I was only able to find blue at Autozone. So basically you just put in a red version of Subaru Super Coolant. You should be fine.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (04-24-2019), Teseo (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #858
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Zerex Asian is basically the same thing as Subaru Supper Coolant but half the cost. Same manufacturer even. Zerex Asian comes in red and blue but I was only able to find blue at Autozone. So basically you just put in a red version of Subaru Super Coolant. You should be fine.
Make sense, they did not manufacture coolant
Teseo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #859
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Thanks for the reassurances re/ the coolant. Now, I've got another job for you all... just drove my newly returned, new-engined car to a gig tonight... total of maybe 35 miles since getting the car back.. and the check engine light came on.. then the cruise control ceased functioning. Good times. Back to the dealership tomorrow. Had the car for a total of 36 hours. Who could ask for anything more? I'll read the code tomorrow after I unload my gear. Anyone want to place bets as to what code(s) I'll get?
Old 04-24-2019, 11:17 PM   #860
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
OCV/camshaft code. Or a P0300 with one occurrence and no stored data.

And that stinks. Last thing you want to deal with, after dealing with all that.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
ermax (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 06:17 AM   #861
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I finally got an appointment to get mine done at my regular dealer. Would you believe the soonest they have available is July 15th! They said they're doing 3 cars a day and only have two techs and two bays to dedicate to it so they're super backed up. When I asked if there was any way they could get to it sooner they said no because they need a few bays that they can make some money in. This is apparently eating up a fair bit of their resources and they're none too happy about it.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #862
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I finally got an appointment to get mine done at my regular dealer. Would you believe the soonest they have available is July 15th! They said they're doing 3 cars a day and only have two techs and two bays to dedicate to it so they're super backed up. When I asked if there was any way they could get to it sooner they said no because they need a few bays that they can make some money in. This is apparently eating up a fair bit of their resources and they're none too happy about it.
Just cancel and don't do it

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ybotspawn For This Useful Post:
Teseo (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 07:10 AM   #863
Snake

Drives: ADM Toyota 86 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybotspawn View Post
Just cancel and don't do it

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
This x1,000,000

Sent from my RNE-L02 using Tapatalk
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snake For This Useful Post:
Teseo (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #864
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Was told a local Toyota dealer messed up an FRS, they somehow wrecked a head, cam, etc while doing the recall.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #865
MuseChaser

Got off the phone w/ the service manager this morning, and will be taking the car back (again) in a moment. In addition to the check engine light and disabled cruise control, of MUCH more concern is the very loud tick/knock at idle. Service manager told me, "Yeah, I guess we're going to have to order the valve shim kit." Ummmmm..... you'd think they'd want to check out the new engine installation a bit more thoroughly (test drive was less than 30 miles) before releasing it. Am I wrong?

I tried to read the codes this morning using my BAFX bluetooth OBDII reader, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, and Torque Lite, but it wouldn't connect. Works fine on my other cars. Pairing is fine, and it cycles through all of the possible OBDII connection protocols, but I get an "ECU Not Connected" message when I try to read the codes. Anyone else have this problem? I read on the Torque Lite description that the free version might not work on some Subaru products. I don't need all the gee-whiz stuff of the Pro version, but would fork out the $5 if I knew that's what the problem was. Can anyone confirm?
Old 04-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #866
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Got off the phone w/ the service manager this morning, and will be taking the car back (again) in a moment. In addition to the check engine light and disabled cruise control, of MUCH more concern is the very loud tick/knock at idle. Service manager told me, "Yeah, I guess we're going to have to order the valve shim kit." Ummmmm..... you'd think they'd want to check out the new engine installation a bit more thoroughly (test drive was less than 30 miles) before releasing it. Am I wrong?

I tried to read the codes this morning using my BAFX bluetooth OBDII reader, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, and Torque Lite, but it wouldn't connect. Works fine on my other cars. Pairing is fine, and it cycles through all of the possible OBDII connection protocols, but I get an "ECU Not Connected" message when I try to read the codes. Anyone else have this problem? I read on the Torque Lite description that the free version might not work on some Subaru products. I don't need all the gee-whiz stuff of the Pro version, but would fork out the $5 if I knew that's what the problem was. Can anyone confirm?
Bluetooth on? car is on ON position? mine takes a minute to connect. I do use the $5 version.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #867
MuseChaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
Bluetooth on? car is on ON position? mine takes a minute to connect.

Like I said, pairing is successful and I've used it on my other cars successfully; I know the drill. Tried it with the ignition switch on and car running, ignition switch on but car not running... waited for minutes, not seconds... red light on dongle is on, yellow lights show activity, on-screen status markers in right hand corner are steady blue for phone icon and dongle icon, but pushpin and car icon flash constantly, and left hand status messages cycle through all protocols searching for the right one for the car.. just never finds it.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #868
sifl

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
At least one seems fine

I read all of the postings, and I still took the chance. 2013 BRZ, no tune, no engine mods. About 43,000 miles, and the car ran well.

All stories don't end in failed engines, or bad experiences with a dealer, and I wanted to share mine.

I dropped off my car on Thursday, 4-18-19. The dealer said it would be ready Monday, 4-22-19.

My car was ready, as committed, and was fine. It was obvious the engine had been out of the car, I could tell by OEM markings on hoses which were re-oriented, clamps were lined up different, and two things were corrected (that were an issue before I brought it in) with the air intake and the sound generator. No damage to the car, everything was clean except for a few spots of Super Blue from the refill.

The car had brand new oil, nothing in it, and the car had 8 more miles on it than when I brought it in. The car started and ran fine, and may have been a little bit quieter than when I brought it in (less ticking). I drove it 70 miles after pick-up without any issues, and checked the oil when hot at home. Still, completely clean.

I checked all fluids involved in the recall the next morning, cold, and everything was fine. I used the car throughout the day, and put another 70 miles on it, some of it very spirited, without any issues. Checked fluids while hot, and everything was still fine.

I'm driving it regularly now.

I know failures can happen later, but I feel that my work was done well, and I plan on getting my tune next week. If anything happens, I'll update this thread.
sifl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sifl For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (04-27-2019), humfrz (04-25-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue