follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #113
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Probably against my better judgement but I've decided to drive the car across the country. I'll be leaving from Maryland on the 24th. My route is the following
Richmond<Athens<New Orleans<Dallas<Albuquerque, then Sedona with my wife for the last leg of the drive.

If anyone is along this route and wants to checkout the car just let me know and I'll see if we can coordinate. This will be my first time driving across the country and I'm kind of looking forward to it. Something I've always wanted to do in the back of my head but never got the chance.

Surprisingly, I'm less worried about having trouble with car and I'm more worried about speeding tickets. I'm good for the first 4 to 5 hours after that my right foot starts to get heavier. Brady will have put several hundred miles on the car before pick up and I no longer consider it a "tuner car" we'll see, I'm sure there will be growing pains.

If anyone has suggestions for fun driving/karting related things to do on my route please chime in. Or just cool places to see or must stop places to eat.

So far I'm thinking of checking out Sim Seats in Richmond and see if they'll let me try out some of their 40K racing sims. Also considering stoping at the Porsche Driving Experience in Atlanta for a little bit of fun...
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:44 AM   #114
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
There will be multiple stage traction control through MoTeC. I'm told I will be very impressed with how this functions compared to factory TC. I am determined to learn how to drive with no nannies but I'll start at autoX at lower speeds first.
Multiple stage, not adaptive?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #115
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
This is where I don't get you guys with V8s. You have 350 ftlbs of torque across the entire rpm band in a stupidly light car. Then you need more? Crazy
My buddies Corvette is going to be 600+ hp and toque basically everywhere... and it will weigh the same as my brz.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #116
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
My buddies Corvette is going to be 600+ hp and toque basically everywhere... and it will weigh the same as my brz.
Yeah, but at that weight in a Corvette it will be a race car. He won't get there without removing everything that makes a car a daily driver.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #117
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Probably against my better judgement but I've decided to drive the car across the country. I'll be leaving from Maryland on the 24th. My route is the following
Richmond<Athens<New Orleans<Dallas<Albuquerque, then Sedona with my wife for the last leg of the drive.

If anyone is along this route and wants to checkout the car just let me know and I'll see if we can coordinate. This will be my first time driving across the country and I'm kind of looking forward to it. Something I've always wanted to do in the back of my head but never got the chance.

Surprisingly, I'm less worried about having trouble with car and I'm more worried about speeding tickets. I'm good for the first 4 to 5 hours after that my right foot starts to get heavier. Brady will have put several hundred miles on the car before pick up and I no longer consider it a "tuner car" we'll see, I'm sure there will be growing pains.

If anyone has suggestions for fun driving/karting related things to do on my route please chime in. Or just cool places to see or must stop places to eat.

So far I'm thinking of checking out Sim Seats in Richmond and see if they'll let me try out some of their 40K racing sims. Also considering stoping at the Porsche Driving Experience in Atlanta for a little bit of fun...
I'd love to see it, so all you have to do is swing by Long Island between Richmond and Athens. Should only add 12-15 hours to the drive depending on when you hit NYC
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #118
Cookiemonster

Drives: '17 BRZ M6 & '17 Corvette Z06 M7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know you're wanting more of an AutoX setup, but would you have room to run a pair of turbos if you wanted to? I'm currently debating the 2JZ single turbo vs LS3 motor swap, but I really am addicted to the power curve that turbocharging brings and would love to have that flexibility to add a pair of turbos to push the LS to 700+
Cookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #119
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
I know you're wanting more of an AutoX setup, but would you have room to run a pair of turbos if you wanted to? I'm currently debating the 2JZ single turbo vs LS3 motor swap, but I really am addicted to the power curve that turbocharging brings and would love to have that flexibility to add a pair of turbos to push the LS to 700+
Why stop at 700? Gotta go for 1000! Haha, I'm not the right person to ask but I'd think you'd have an easier time fitting a turbo than a supercharger, at least you'd be able to close the hood. Why would you not just go with a single turbo? What are you trying to do with the car? Drift or drag race? Even most of the drift LS guys seem to stay NA because you can get plenty of torque and power with just a cam for this light of a car.

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 04-15-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #120
GrabTheWheel

Car has been weighed...

According to my calculations she has gained 121 lbs over stock. What a fat pig she has become. Oh well, eventually she will be put on a diet. I think all of the torque should make up for it in the meantime!

The big plus is the front to rear weight distribution remained practically unchanged from factory at 56.2% front and 43.8% rear. I believe factory is 56-44. Don't think I'll notice .2%

Car weighed 2979 lbs with a full interior, spare, tools and a full tank of fuel. Minus 2776 for a stock brz and 82 lbs for 13 gallons of fuel, I came up with the number 121 lbs gained which sounds about right. Please feel free to chime in if you think I'm mistaken.

For reference my Jackson Racing supercharger weighed 66 lbs when it was boxed and ready to ship. My Edelbrock kit was 99 lbs shipping weight. So to sum things up I'm pretty happy with the weight gain compared to FI. And I'm very happy that weight distribution remains practically unchanged front to rear.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-15-2019), DustinS (04-15-2019), Irace86.2.0 (04-15-2019), Sportsguy83 (04-15-2019), strmshadow84 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #121
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
the nice part is we have a 50% cross weight without driver and got it to 49.6% with a 225lb driver without having the car sit at awkward heights on each corner from balancing.
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (04-16-2019), Irace86.2.0 (04-17-2019), Sportsguy83 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #122
GrabTheWheel

For those of you who think LS swaps are cheap and simple. Sure they can be but if you get all new parts and go the extra mile with things like MoTeC and AC it's far from it. Sure there are a few things on here that aren't related to the swap but I'm sure there's a few I've forgotten as well.

It has given me more respect for very clean swaps like the Flyin Miata LS builds. My hope is that the BRZ turns out to be a better platform for an LS swap compared to the Miata because of the slightly longer wheel base among other things. I am confident that the car Pure has built for me will far exceed what Flyin Miata has produced. I will let everyone know very soon...

Build Parts List:

Motec M130 ECU
OEM Alternator Bracket
OEM AC Compressor
Callies Compstar H Beam Connecting Rods
Diamond Racing Pistons, Custom Spec LS3 11:1 Flat Top
Comp Cams Camshaft (Custom Spec) Timing Set And Gears
LS To T56 Magnum Bell Housing
T56 Magnum 2.66 First Gear
Vorslag LS To BRZ Trans and Engine Mount Kit
Radium MC Brace
Radium LS3 Fuel Rails
Whiteline Front and Rear Bars
ID1050X Injector Dynamics
DSS 600HP Axles
Radium Surge Tank With 2 Walhbro 450 Pumps
CX Racing LS Swap Headers For BRZ
LS Swap Radiator Hose Kit
MSD Custom Length Ignition Wire Set
SPAL 12" HP Slim Fans
LS3 Engine Aseembly, Long Block 6.2L Aluminum
Comp Cams Max-Lift BSR Shaft Rocker Kit Chevy LS3
Comp Cams Dual Spring Kit With Retainers And Keepers
Setrab 25 Row Series 9 Oil Cooler Core
M22 Adapter For Top Of Oil Cooler
Improved Racing LS2 Oil Pan With Baffle, Pickup, Dip Stick And Windage Tray
Mantic Twin Disc Clutch Kit
Ethanol Content Sensor With Fittings
Coolant Temp Sensor
Alternator ACDelco OEM New
TR55 Spark Plugs NGK
Water Pump Gasket
Idler Pulley
Harmonic Balancer
OEM Exhaust Manifold Gasket
Water Pump OEM
Cam Position Sensor
OS Giken Differential
3.73 Ring and Pinion
GM Throttle Body For Swap
OEM Starter
3" Tips Stainless Steel
QTP Screamer Muffler, Integrated Cutout
Improved Racing Oil Cooler Adapter
Short Shifter Adapter, Tremec
Clutch Pilot Bushing
2x Resonators, 2.5" Piping, 3.5" Piping, 02 Bungs, Misc Supplies
AC Compressor Adapter Billet
Driveshaft, Custom Length
Raceseng Circuit Sphere 150 Shifter
AC Belt, Stretch Fit
Serpentine Belt
K&N Air Filter
Alternator And Starter Power Cable
-8AN Fittings For Oil Cooler
Adapters For Fuel Filter
Silicone Adapter For Water Pump
Custom Length, High Strength Trend Pushrods
ARP Main Studs
Crane Rocker Shims
King Racing Rod and Main Bearings, Custom Spec
Front and Rear Seals, Front Cover Seal
Johnson High Performance Race Linkbar Lifters
Melling High Volume Oil Pump

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 09-01-2019 at 04:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
spitsnaugle (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 11:58 PM   #123
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
When the popo sends you to the Cali ref, and you decide to part out the car, I'll take the oil cooler.

haha, jk.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:18 AM   #124
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
When the popo sends you to the Cali ref, and you decide to part out the car, I'll take the oil cooler.

haha, jk.
NOT FUNNY. Cops are pretty cool by me. I autoX with a lot of the local cops. I know they won't have a problem with it. I also have my dealers license so the car is technically "for sale" I can just rock my dealer plates. Also car isn't due for smog till 2024 now!

On top of all that I am fully prepared to go full race car with it. Would like to enjoy as a street car for a couple years first though.

Maybe I am just lucky but I've NEVER had a cop ask me to pop my hood. I avoid things like loud exhausts, tinted windows, big wings, excessive camber, widebody etc. So I tend not to get pulled over in the first place.

Cops by me hangout in town looking for people speeding in highly populated areas. Pretty simple don't speed around town and just enjoy the canyons, autoX and track instead. No street racing or "take overs" for me. I guess I'll be missing all the fun of the "car scene."
The Following User Says Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 12:44 AM   #125
spagti

Drives: Broken Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Amazing job on the build. I love it. When do you think you'll be in Sedona? It's beautiful and been meaning to take another weekend trip up from Phoenix.
spagti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spagti For This Useful Post:
GrabTheWheel (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 01:09 AM   #126
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagti View Post
Amazing job on the build. I love it. When do you think you'll be in Sedona? It's beautiful and been meaning to take another weekend trip up from Phoenix.
I'll be with wifey at that point (picking her up in Flagstaff) but I could probably still take you for like a 15-20 min drive just wouldn't be able to hangout for too long. I've gotta be home on Saturday the 4th. Gonna try and see the Grand Canyon as well. I'll be in Sedona on Wed. and Thursday the 1st and 2nd of May.