follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Questions regarding FRS Pre-order

I have never bought a car paying full price in my life. I usually have very good patients when it comes to buying a car so I usually pay a good price for one. For my BMW I did Euro Delivery and paid ~ $5000 off MSRP. My Exige I paid ~ $12000 off MSRP. My S2000 CR I paid ~ $11000 off MSRP. It looks like with the FRS I'll be waiting a long time before I can pay less than MSRP for one . I am thinking about ordering one soon so here are my questions.

1) I know with Mazda there are usually customer rebates and dealer rebates. Does Scion have anything similar?
2) A lot of manufactures gives additional bonus cash for test drives or joining their club or participation in some events. Does Scion have the same?
3) Is the only thing that you can haggle the doc fee that they charge?
4) Are Scion dealers known to give out a lot of freebies to their customers?
5) Any other suggestions to save a few bucks?

I don't know why but somehow I just can't justify paying full price for a car. I do believe the MSRP for the FRS is reasonable though. I guess its a principal thing?

Thanks in advance.
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
sastexan

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Friend of mine who works for Toyota dealer said that if Toyota catches scion dealers not offering the pure price, they risk losing their franchise. There are some current rebates from Toyota - recent college grad and military. That's it for right now.

All dealers have "document fees" and these vary wildly - good to ask. It is "back end profit", or as the dealers try to justify as "covering their costs". Um, that's what gross margin is.
sastexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
I have never bought a car paying full price in my life. I usually have very good patients when it comes to buying a car so I usually pay a good price for one. For my BMW I did Euro Delivery and paid ~ $5000 off MSRP. My Exige I paid ~ $12000 off MSRP. My S2000 CR I paid ~ $11000 off MSRP. It looks like with the FRS I'll be waiting a long time before I can pay less than MSRP for one . I am thinking about ordering one soon so here are my questions.

1) I know with Mazda there are usually customer rebates and dealer rebates. Does Scion have anything similar?
2) A lot of manufactures gives additional bonus cash for test drives or joining their club or participation in some events. Does Scion have the same?
3) Is the only thing that you can haggle the doc fee that they charge?
4) Are Scion dealers known to give out a lot of freebies to their customers?
5) Any other suggestions to save a few bucks?

I don't know why but somehow I just can't justify paying full price for a car. I do believe the MSRP for the FRS is reasonable though. I guess its a principal thing?

Thanks in advance.

the frs will be cheaper than any of those cars youve already bought... BAM you've already saved...

yeah but what sastexan said, they will loose their allotments(all their scion cars) if they sell anything but msrp

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to clarify. I am not asking the dealers to sell below MSRP. Actually they can if they wanted to. Pure pricing only means that they have to set a price and then sell the car for that price for at least a year before they can change it. So they are welcome to set the price well below MSRP if they want. Not that any of them are going to do it but they can. My questions are basically wondering if there are any other ways to get a little back for paying the full MSRP if that makes any sense.
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
xravexboix

Drives: 12 Camry Hybrid on 19" RE30
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xravexboix
The only time (historically) you will see a dealer adjust the pricing below MSRP is when the new model year arrives and there are tons of the old model year around (if a 2013 iQ exists, this will likely happen). Even if the new model year arrives, the price difference is typically +$300 or so (for Scion), so some people will move for the MSRP of the last model year if there are no differences. Based on current orders, this is unlikely to happen with the FR-S unless the 2014 model happens to have some magical new features at a reasonable price increase.
xravexboix is offline   Reply With Quote