follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #1989
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
^^^

Good advice. May want to add front camber bolts before the alignment.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
GotBRZ1691 (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #1990
smellslikecurry

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post
I think most people don't put wings on these cars (at least for functional track purposes). Aerodynamically these cars are pretty good in stock form so it isn't as needed as other cars. That said I am sure some people have put functional wings on them and I there are people going more for looks who have "wings" on their cars.

I think the big question would be, what issue are you trying to solve with the wing?
I'm looking to increase downforce to increase rear grip while cornering (exit).
smellslikecurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #1991
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellslikecurry View Post
I'm looking to increase downforce to increase rear grip while cornering (exit).
At what speeds? Whats your current setup?

An LSD will universally increase grip, whereas a wing will increase rear grip as speed increases. It depends on what you 're doing with it.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #1992
THEmailman

Drives: Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mike,

I remember a post/discussion from a long time ago that a muffler delete/single exit exhaust made the rear end jittery since the muffler is integrated with the airflow moving under the car and out the back. Just wanted to see if that was true or if im misremembering things? If so, whats the best way to offset it? I know diffuser would probably be the answer but allocating points in TTD probably wont let me....
Goodridge SS brake lines//ProjectMu 999's//Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid//GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace//Jackson Racing Oil Cooler//Whiteline camber bolts//Raceseng CamCas plates//Kosei K4R 17x8//BFGoodrich Rivals 225/45

Last edited by THEmailman; 10-09-2014 at 09:26 PM.
THEmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #1993
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Many aftermarket cat-back designs create a gap in the underbody —previously filled by the stock muffler— that traps the air flowing from the front, creating drag. This can be offset by installing a diffuser.

See this thread.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #1994
THEmailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
Many aftermarket cat-back designs create a gap in the underbody —previously filled by the stock muffler— that traps the air flowing from the front, creating drag. This can be offset by installing a diffuser.

See this thread.
Thanks. I forgot to mention but as my plans for now have me staying in TTD a diffuser is points im not willing to spend.....
Goodridge SS brake lines//ProjectMu 999's//Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid//GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace//Jackson Racing Oil Cooler//Whiteline camber bolts//Raceseng CamCas plates//Kosei K4R 17x8//BFGoodrich Rivals 225/45

Old 10-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #1995
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEmailman View Post
Mike,

I remember a post/discussion from a long time ago that a muffler delete/single exit exhaust made the rear end jittery since the muffler is integrated with the airflow moving under the car and out the back. Just wanted to see if that was true or if im misremembering things? If so, whats the best way to offset it? I know diffuser would probably be the answer but allocating points in TTD probably wont let me....
Stick to the stock exhaust in TTD unless the exhaust itself is the restriction in your setup.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #1996
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
APR and Voltex are the two go-to options, and we sell both
Hey Mike, I know very little about wings, but Brooks seems to be pretty popular around here. What do APR and Voltex have that Brooks doesn't?
TIA.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #1997
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Hey Mike, I know very little about wings, but Brooks seems to be pretty popular around here. What do APR and Voltex have that Brooks doesn't?
TIA.
Brooks is a local company with small distribution and products for club racers; APR and Voltex are global companies that both have product that compete at the elite levels.

When the price of Brooks and APR/Voltex are similar, most people will go with the proven name.

Brooks will point out that their wings are "PhD designed". APR and Voltex provide results with the top cars at WTAC sporting their aero. Oh, and they also do wind tunnel and CFD analysis, and occasionally release data when it's not deemed a trade secret.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #1998
THEmailman

Totally random note and not doing this anytime soon....if you removed the A/C could you just buy a shorter belt or would that throw off the balance/timing of the engine? I know the usual option is to buy a bracket and a pulley to fill in for the missing A/C.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #1999
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEmailman View Post
Totally random note and not doing this anytime soon....if you removed the A/C could you just buy a shorter belt or would that throw off the balance/timing of the engine? I know the usual option is to buy a bracket and a pulley to fill in for the missing A/C.
Bit of info here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43060
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59950
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dradernh For This Useful Post:
THEmailman (10-11-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #2000
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Copying this post that I left in the P0351 ignition coil thread as it seems this issue is much more prevelant with tracked cars.

Failing coil replaced, car runs up to redline with no issues anymore!

Wanted to share some additional perspective on this:

Cel started coming on more frequently during daily driving, 6000 rpm would activate it.

Gas mileage had dropped to below 23 mpg average

Car would hesitate and sputter (stalled once) as you pulled to a stop and seemed sluggish in general.

Strange fuel smell in the cabin especially with the fan on high. Possibly unburned fuel??

During the couple sessions that I ran with the cel there was a profound change in the traction / stability control. I had turned it off with the 5 second switch but it was really nuts whenever I had high rpm high g load corners. Motor cut and rear brakes grabbed to the extent that I nearly lost it.

With the new coil, all of these street issues are gone and it feels like I am running the E85 tune compared to how the car was running up till now. The power difference is enough to tell the difference. Even the exhaust note standing outside the car at idle sounds different.

It would appear that when a coil gets this bad, there are multiple symptoms present even if the cel is intermittent.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #2001
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
Copying this post that I left in the P0351 ignition coil thread as it seems this issue is much more prevelant with tracked cars.

Failing coil replaced, car runs up to redline with no issues anymore!

Wanted to share some additional perspective on this:

Cel started coming on more frequently during daily driving, 6000 rpm would activate it.

Gas mileage had dropped to below 23 mpg average

Car would hesitate and sputter (stalled once) as you pulled to a stop and seemed sluggish in general.

Strange fuel smell in the cabin especially with the fan on high. Possibly unburned fuel??

During the couple sessions that I ran with the cel there was a profound change in the traction / stability control. I had turned it off with the 5 second switch but it was really nuts whenever I had high rpm high g load corners. Motor cut and rear brakes grabbed to the extent that I nearly lost it.

With the new coil, all of these street issues are gone and it feels like I am running the E85 tune compared to how the car was running up till now. The power difference is enough to tell the difference. Even the exhaust note standing outside the car at idle sounds different.

It would appear that when a coil gets this bad, there are multiple symptoms present even if the cel is intermittent.
So did you only see issues at high RPM or did it idle differently, etc.?

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #2002
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
I had turned it off with the 5 second switch but it was really nuts whenever I had high rpm high g load corners. Motor cut and rear brakes grabbed to the extent that I nearly lost it.
The pedal dance will address that part...