follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Drives: AE86 & depressing SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AU gets TRD parts

Winning!

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...6_trd_gets_nod

"We will have a range of TRD stuff, but it won't be available for about nine months," says Toyota spokesman, Mike Breen. "It's a very similar range to what TRD has shown in Japan. We're looking at dampers, strut braces, exhaust systems, those sorts of things."

Yes boys and girls, we will be getting TRD parts, available from dealerships. Not available at launch but should be out late in the year or early next year.
PuGZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Nambo

Drives: '12 BRZ [CBS]
Thanks for sharing PuGZoR - Subaru BRZ with TRD duckbill
Nambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Nafe

Drives: Mt Fuji Red 86 GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thanks dude, pretty much what I was expecting
Import direct from Japan perhaps? Not purchase through dealers?
I know a few guys in JP who can organise that sort of thing
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
Thanks dude, pretty much what I was expecting
Import direct from Japan perhaps? Not purchase through dealers?
I know a few guys in JP who can organise that sort of thing
Could do that, but if dealers are supporting the parts, we can get them installed without affecting warranty. I know not everyone cares about warranty, but I do.

I'm glad to see that Toyota AU is taking the car seriously. Not just a crappy dulled-down version, seems that we'll get all the good parts.

Now if only they'd import the Corolla Blade Master...

Edit: For the record, some dealers already import parts through JP. EG, I got a whole heap of parts for my Aristo (prior to it being written off) from Castle Hill Toyota, from Japan. Genuine harmonic balancer amongst other things.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
Nafe

I don't get why it says the car is coming from the states? It isn't... The cars will be produced in Japan, even the US models....
Bah, I don't want shit from the states, I'll get it straight from Japan.
Read my post re warranty in another thread here. Fitting strut braces, coilovers, exhaust won't void your warranty.
I care about warranty, but I also want japanese parts
Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Nafe

link to said thread:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...?t=3468&page=2
Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
I don't get why it says the car is coming from the states? It isn't... The cars will be produced in Japan, even the US models....
Bah, I don't want shit from the states, I'll get it straight from Japan.
Read my post re warranty in another thread here. Fitting strut braces, coilovers, exhaust won't void your warranty.
I care about warranty, but I also want japanese parts
True, but things like airboxes/filters/etc and probably even exhaust components can, as they classify them as part of the engine, right? I know wheels/suspension/etc generally are fine, but when you start modding components that are essential to the operation of other systems, things get dicey with warranty. (My brother is a dealership mechanic, haha)

Just a hypothetical too... just say a suspension component has a catastrophic failure, resulting in the car hitting the bitumen and causing chassis damage. I would imagine that you'd have a hard time getting an aftermarket parts manufacturer to pay for the chassis damage, because they classify most of their parts as "track use only" and don't guarantee anything other than the actual part they supply. If using TRD parts installed by a dealership, on a vehicle still in warranty, you'd imagine this would be easily covered. I know, chances of a catastrophic failure like that are nill to bugger all, but still...

Edit: They probably just use TRD US R&D, to save on translation problems. Might be similarities in laws or something that means they're looking at what the US does, too. You never know, TRD parts for this project might be being developed in the US rather than Japan... they are a global company, you know? Don't know anything for sure, just throwing up possibilities.

Edit 2: I'm an idiot - "Breen says the decision to source parts from the USA was made for economic reasons, which should mean a better deal for owners." There's probably very little difference in the parts, but currently the AU$ is much stronger against the US$ compared to the Yen. You could get genuine Japanese parts, but I doubt you're going to see much difference at all.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's ok. I'll just get the door stabilizer and it doesn't matter where it's made lol

Seriously the TRD duckbill will most likely be the only TRD parts I'll get. Maybe a proper CAI too if they ever make one. Most other things there will likely be cheaper/better alternative.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Nafe

Yes, using parts like air filter and exhaust CAN affect your warranty, but doesn't void it by default. If there is a failure that is a result of the aftermarket part, they can deny the warranty claim, however if there is an engine failure and it isn't related, warranty still covers it.
And for the hypothetical, I don't think t would easily be covered, perse, there'd be ALOT Of tooing and froing, but it would probably covered in the end.
I am just speaking from my 8-9years in the service/warranty area That's how long I have been in dealership service and warranty.

I know, deep down, that there will e very little difference to parts sourced from the states, but I am a jdm tragic at heart, ESPECIALLY with regards to Toyota :P

Nardi - there will definitely be cheaper alternatives, but not necessarily better. In my reasonably extensive TRD experience (with regards to ae86's more than anything) the TRD products have always been really top notch. I had TRD shocks and springs, TRD LSD and other things and I was EXCEPTIONALLY happy with them
Again, just my experience

Last edited by Nafe; 02-08-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: :)
Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Nardi330

No doubt TRD are good stuff but things like the brake kit is just way too expensive (800,000 yen).

Then things like tower bar, sway bars etc arguably there are stuff as good at a lower price.

I'm sure STI (and other Subaru tuners) will have good stuff too and I wouldn't mind putting STI parts on my 86 (and vice versa).

Im open minded in terms of brands on mods and won't be using exclusively JDM parts. As an example, I will probably get TRD duckbill, KW coilsover, Whiteline sway bars, DBA brake disc, Enkei wheels, Injen CAI, Fujitsubo exhaust....
Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Nafe

I am rethinking my wheel selection due to weight.. I don't necessarily want super light weight because it has to deal with daily driving. but I do want fairly light. Enkeis are a good option. I was think works, but some are quite heavy, so I am now rethinking them...
Coilovers i am thinking TRD. If I get a better LSD it will be TRD. Swaybars, maybe/maybe not, intake - not sure, exhaust... I like the TRD quad exahust, but it won't fit the normal bumper by the looks... Kakimoto or fujitsubo are always good. Hmmmmm. So much to consider :P
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
GodSays

Drives: Beater
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So does this mean I have to wait for Trd parts in America as well!?
GodSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
Nardi330

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSays View Post
So does this mean I have to wait for Trd parts in America as well!?
No u can import them from Japan.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Lobo

Drives: '05 XR6 Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
*waits for TRD Supercharger kit......*
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote